X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

2 ch pre-amp for my 805s system?

What do people recommend for a 2 ch only pre-amp that would compliment my 805S + rotel rb1080 setup? I am very new to this as I am moving from a HT setup and pre/pro. Any particular brands I should look into or avoid? I am just looking for some initial direction as I fully intend to listen/audition the preamps that make the shortlist.

thank you,
  • krellfan
    • Jul 2005

What's your budget and particular must have features? Tube or transistor?

Some good preamps:
    Adcom 750
    Sonic Frontiers Line 1,2, or 3
    Pass Labs X1, X2.5 - I have the X1.

Comment

• tboooe
      • Jun 2005

Krellfan:

Thanks for the response. i would like to not spend more than $2K. All i really care about is something that sounds great and is a good match for my 805S and rb-1080. I figure preamps are all pretty simple in terms of operation so I dont need any fancy features other than maybe volume mathcing of different components. What features should I look for? Again, I am very new to all of this preamp stuff.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Tboooe,

I have cloned this to our Audio Hide-out forum where some 2 channel fans will be keen to help as well - doubling your success...

Geoff

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

tboooe, you seem like a Rotel guy to me given that you own an RB-1080 and are planning to buy an RCD-1072. So why wouldn't you have a close look at the RC-1070 or the RC-1090?

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
            • Mar 2005

I'd look for a used Bryston BP-25. I have one and am very satisfied. The best part is that you'd get one with a transferrable warranty. Bryston has a 20 year warranty that tracks with the product's manufacture date.

Comment

• tboooe
              • Jun 2005

thanks geoff for copying my post

bigburner, i will definitely look into rotel. I am a bit concerned since some posts I have read did not make the 1070 sound very good. Also, the 1090 is discontinued.

zx10 guy (i assume you are kawasaki guy, i used to race 125 2 strokes..), thanks for the input. I will check out the bryston. i dont know too much about bryston in general. can you elaborate on what you like and dont like about it? did you audition other preamps before settling on that one?

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

tboooe, if the 1090 has been discontinued I wonder why it is still featured on Rotel's web site?

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by tboooe
                  thanks geoff for copying my post

bigburner, i will definitely look into rotel. I am a bit concerned since some posts I have read did not make the 1070 sound very good. Also, the 1090 is discontinued.

zx10 guy (i assume you are kawasaki guy, i used to race 125 2 strokes..), thanks for the input. I will check out the bryston. i dont know too much about bryston in general. can you elaborate on what you like and dont like about it? did you audition other preamps before settling on that one?
                  Yeah, tboooe. My screen name is for my 04 Kawi. That's cool you used to race 125 2 strokes. I have a Fizzer 400 I need to sort out so I can get into tracking it.

www.bryston.ca is Bryston's website. Bryston has a reputation of building very solid equipment. They also supply pro audio equipment. The BP-25 I have is nice as I feel it's very neutral. I don't sense any type of sonic signature out of it. The unit is built like a brick. Has an external power supply to keep any noise inducing components out of the preamp. I also have the moving magnet phono preamp built into mine as I have a VPI HW19 Jr turntable I run off it. Everything is about overbuilding in the quality department down to the remote that can literally double as a lethal weapon. The new BP-26 has some updates mainly in the outboard power supply. You can update a BP-25 to BP-26 status by buying the updated power supply.

The only other preamp I've had extensive time with is an Adcom GFP-555II. The Adcom overall was pretty good except for lacking a remote. I did feel at higher volumes the sound from the Adcom seemed a bit muddy at times.

Comment

• tboooe
                    • Jun 2005

bigburner, from what I understand the rc1090 is discontinued in the US.

ZX10 guy...i used to have an FZR600 a while back..great chasis...I now have a honda VFR400R and RVF400RR (V4, 4 stroke, 400cc).

thanks for the info on bryston. I will check them out and audition the preamp.

Comment

• Sonic-x
                      • Jan 2005

Removed

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"