X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

B&W N802 with Subwoofer Questions

1) When will the new B&W subwoofers be available? ASW865 & ASW875

2) In a 2.1 channel setup with N802 would you ever recommend using a high-pass crossover when used in conjunction with a subwoofer? If so, what frequency would you recommend? 40/50Hz or other? Or would you always play full range even though a subwoofer is present?
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

That’s a really good question junior77blue, which you’ll appreciate if you read my previous posts.

I have chosen to use a high-pass crossover when used in conjunction with my subwoofer, but then again I don’t own a pair of N802 speakers....

I have a pair of CDM9NT speakers and an ASW750 sub, set up in a 2.1 configuration. The CDM9NT’s are the predecessor to the 703’s, i.e. a 3-way floorstander. I've wired the ASW750 so that the output of the pre-amp goes to the input of the sub, and the output of the sub goes to the input of my amp, enabling the high-pass filter on the 750 to limit the frequencies being sent to my CDM9NT’s to 80Hz and above (this is pre-set on the 750). I've set the low-pass filter on the 750 to 80Hz so that the sub only plays 80Hz and below. I've found that this results in the best stereo image because the sub isn't duplicating frequencies being played on the 9NTs.

My decision to wire my sub up the way I have is linked directly to my reason for purchasing a sub in the first place. My reason is that at higher volumes I just wasn't getting the bass I wanted from my CDM9NT fronts. Also, on one occasion my 9NTs began to clip at high volume when playing an overmixed bass track. So I really had no choice in order to achieve the objective that I wanted.

In your situation I think that you do have the luxury of choice. I suspect that the N802’s will be able to handle anything you throw at them, so you may not need to go down this road.

Question: do the ASW865 and ASW875 provide a variable high-pass filter (unlike the 750 which is pre-set at 80Hz)? If so, you’ll have the fun of experimenting with the setting – for example, to the 40-50Hz range that you have suggested.

Please post the results of your research as I’m really interested in this topic.

Comment

• caleb
      • Aug 2004

With your 802's you may as well get the best from them and not crossover much above 40Hz then the sub can do a "fill-in" below this.

Comment

• junior77blue
        • Nov 2004

Response from B&W when asked these exact same questions:

"Thank you for your interest in B&W! At this time, availability is set for a mid Fall release of the ASW 875 at $4,000. I do not believe the ASW 865 will be released, only the 875.

With regards to integrating with the N802's, I do believe this to be a matter of preference. In my experience if using a high pass filter on the N802's 40Hz would be a good starting point as it allows the N802's to play almost to their full range while allowing the subwoofer to take up the low end. However you can certainly also run the N802s full range and dial back the subwoofers low-pass filter to its lowest point to blend in with the N802s. Using a high-pass filter on the N802s may allow a more seamless blend however, as at full range the N802's run to -6dB at 27Hz, which may result in some overlap as the low-pass filter on our subwoofers lowest setting is -6dB at 40Hz."

Best Regards,
        Michael Sheehan
        B&W / Rotel

Comment

• junior77blue
          • Nov 2004

I do not believe the ASW875 has an adjustable high-pass crossover, I believe it is set at 70 or 80Hz fixed.

I've asked Mike to confirm the ASW865 will not be released, that is a shame since that is all the sub I would need for my room.

There's really no straight forward answer....sounds like the 'best' approach is to use a high pass crossover @ 40Hz. I have an NHT x2 crossover, which has a lot of capability, i.e. (adjustable high pass crossover points @ 50/80/110Hz) so, I may give that a try.

Any other comments?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"