X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ccotenj
    • Apr 2005

Matrix 802s3

I am going to purchase a pair of these to replace the 603s3's in my existing configuration. They will be driven by a pair of Odyssey Extreme monoblocks. Surrounds are currently 600s3, center is lcr600, sub is asw600. Surrounds/Center driven by Odyssey HT3 (cap upgrade). I am moving to the 802's to improve 2 channel listening, since my usage is probably 80/20 music to HT and am willing to upgrade in pieces, knowing that my HT won't be as good as it could be if the whole system was upgraded at once. However, I don't want to totally sacrifice HT, because we watch 3 or 4 movies a week (plus football in surround is like being there ). Surround music isn't a consideration at this point.

I have some questions on upgrade path, and am hoping for some suggestions as well from the folks around here. BTW, cd source is Naim CD5i, pre is Pass Labs X2.5, surround processor is my old yammy rxv-750 avr. DVD player is a cheapo JVC that will do until they finalize the new standard. TV is JVD D-ILA.

All comments and suggestions, both speaker wise and in terms of sequence are welcomed. I don't believe that you can get too much information.

As follows:

Ongoing: Mess with room acoustics and positioning. Room is 14X17 with 9' ceiling. Walls are plaster, floor is pine. Small area rug in middle. First project is going to be some DIY bass traps. Anticipating that 802's will change things a bit in here, so that should keep me busy for a bit, moving stuff around, rehanging things, etc. I'm patient, so I don't mind doing this kind of thing.

Upon arrival of the 802's, two options:
    a) Move the 603's into surround duty and move the 600's into the den.
    b) Leave the 600's in surround duty, and sell 603's to partially finance next upgrade.
    Comments or suggestions on a or b?

Next step:
    Upgrade center. Seen in other threads HTM1, wondering if HTM2 would also be a match, or what else would be worth looking at. It will be interesting to see what the lcr600 sounds like with them. Hoping someone will bite on one that is scratched all to heck on one short side when it comes time to sell it, it stands upright, and swmbo scratched it really bad sliding it back and forth to vacuum until I figured out what was happening. C'est la vie.

Next step:
    Either:
    Upgrade surrounds. Suggestions I've seen include SCM8, Matrix 805s3. Anything else I should consider? Given that surrounds produce primarily ambient (and since I don't listen to music in 5 channel), I'm thinking I will be able to live with either the 603's or 600's in surround duty for awhile.
    Or:
    Upgrade sub. Not sure what direction to go in here, will have a better idea once I see what the bass from the 802's sounds like in my room. SVS/Velodyne been mentioned as options.

Next step:
    Whichever one of the above 2 doesn't take place first. Depending on what stuff sounds like.

The above 2 steps sequence will have a lot to do with 2 factors.
    a) how do the 6xx's in surround duty get along with the 802's?
    b) advancing technology in surround recording, etc. who knows?

Comments? Suggestions? Anything that I'm missing? I've tried to think this through, but sooner or later it helps to type it out and let others have at it.

Thanks.
  • Fife
    • Apr 2004

Center channel: Matrix HTM is your best match

Then fix your room acoustics.

Surrounds/rears: Just use what your budget allows. M805 or SCM8 or your current 600 series

Subwoofer: Matrix 800ASW or what your budget allows. Velodyne and Rel seem to work great.

Comment

• ccotenj
      • Apr 2005

fife, thanks. i appreciate the input.

have been spending MUCHO time reading about and considering room acoustics. fortunately, my wife has no qualms about doing what's necessary to make it sound "right", even if it's not "pretty", color me lucky in that regard... she's got far better ears than i do...

Comment

• ccotenj
        • Apr 2005

anyone have any "suggested starting point for locations" on scm8's?

Comment

• hopeforcash
          • Dec 2005

Hi, Just trying to do a little research on the SCM-8s and would like to just bump this thread. My question would be ..

Where is the optimal spot to place the SCM8s? As rears or sides. I'm just working at only a 5 system, no .1 as I have no room (allowable by spouse) for a sub.

I'm running a Rotel RSX1065 with B&W 7NTs as fronts and B&W CDM-CNT as the centre. There rears are basically old 3 way speakers from the past.

The problem is that a new couch/sectional is coming and it is going to take the whole back of the room. The rears would either be in-wall or easier, wall mounted. Any suggestions? I require the most economical method. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"