X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

Speaker Phase and room accoustics?

Well I inadvertantly switched phase on one of my front channels and the bass "hole" in the middle of my room disappeared!

Its very odd. Normally the phases are such that its push-push and not push pull - the push pull causing the cancelaltions ... so I am a bit confused why in this case one speaker in phase and one opposite phase sounds more "full" and better throughout the listening area in the bass region.... has this got to do with room accoustics - as it has surprised me somewhat?

Anyone else found this ??

Rgds Steve.
  • Andrew M Ward
    • Apr 2005

Fascinating...

Well,
    you've got my attention, i've never experimented with phase, other than when showing in a demo that a speaker is "out of phase"

I'll play around and get back to you
    -Andrew

Comment

• greggz
      • Jun 2002

Is it possible that your sub was out of phase with your speakers causing cancellations and switching the speakers reveresed that? Do you get the same effect if you put the speakers back the way they were and change the phase on the sub?
      Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
        • Apr 2005

Oooh!

You guys are pretty smart, I never considered that!

(or does that mean I'm not very smart?) 8O

Comment

• Stevebez
          • Oct 2003

Further check...

The gap in the sound field was orginally discovered when calibrating the DD12 and I was moving around the room trying to find the best over all setting - then I noticed in the middle of the sound field (middle of listening area) there was a distinct bass "void" all too eveident. I never noticed before as I only really have one listening position.

So I disengaged the sub completely and had a listen to the fronts switching phase back and forth ... mmm with one "out of phase" bass was definitely uniform and complementary from both units, with both units "in phase" it became more and more vague the closer you moved to the centre of the sound field - giving the wave cancellation all the more chance to show itself.

So I either have switched wiring in my speaker units, a processor which has gone awol, switched cable labeling - or I am dyslexic ... or all of the above. :roll:

I will recheck all cables / connections etc etc once more in case I am making a huge blunder.

I was wondering if it cannot be delay settings in the processor...??

It cannot be right ... it must be a mistake... ...

I'll be back.

Rgds Steve

Comment

• Ash
            • Dec 2004

what is phase??

what is push, push or push, pull?????

Comment

• herotongtong
              • Apr 2005

Ash

ASH have you heard the song "push ,push in the push " by donna winner ??? thats all about some good songs !! you don't know that song ?? ..should listen to it

Comment

• Stevebez
                • Oct 2003

Ash...

Phase is the synchronisation of the sine waves from the speaker drivers. In phase means the sine wave crest or push from both cones are synchronised so both cones push at the same time and pull at the same time... when they are out of phase one cone is pushing while the other is pulling resulting in two equal and opposite sine waves at 180 deg to each other. In ideal circumstances these waves would completely cancel each other out - i.e. no sound at that frequency - it most happens at low frequncies as the wave lengths are so long that to get the waves opposite is actually not that difficult. High frequencies are more difficult as the sine wave crests are so tightly packed together so to get cancellation is very tough but theoretically could also happen.

Noise canceling headphones use this principle to make a quiet background.

Hope that helps.

Have not had chance last night to go check wiring etc for the 3rd time but will try do so tonight.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• Stevebez
                  • Oct 2003

OK resolved the problem ...

Boils down to incorrect rear diagram description of my amp on its website and in the manual. Due to the amps location I have to connect the speaker leads "blind" so took the manual's description as being correct...

The left channel phases are switched in the manual & website.

So all is well and normal science as we know it has not been rewritten!

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• Ash
                    • Dec 2004

Thanks steve that gives me some idea of the topic.

Happy to hear that you resolved your problem.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"