X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • corysmith01
    • Feb 2005

Can my 601 s3's handle a Rotel 1070?

Hi-

I just purchase a Rotel RB1070 to beef up my 2 channel listening, which I do more of than movie watching. As I'm waiting for it to arrive, I decided to download the manual and read a little about it. Inside the manual, this advice was offered by Rotel:

"Be aware that the RB-1070 is capable of highpower levels, in excess of 130 watts per channel. Make sure that your speakers can handle the power of the RB-1070. If in doubt about your speakers, ask your authorized Rotel
    dealer for advice."

I then went to my DM 601 s3 manual and saw that the acceptable power ranges is 25W-100W. My question is, do I run the risk of damaging my speakers? Is it safe to say that I need to upgrade them to not run this risk? Or...does this much power not really affect them...or does it affect them only at high levels or long playing durations? Sorry for being ignorant on this topic, but I just don't want to damage my speakers.

Any advice/info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Kens1
    • Mar 2005

I'm no expert but I have read that the max power an amp puts out is rarely if ever reached under normal listening conditions - so I don't think I would worry about that. I have the 1080 running my main speakers (which are rated uptp 250 wts) and I find that the added power of the 1080 enables the speakers to be more focused in all the ranges. You will also notice more details through your speakers at lower levels of volume.
    I believe your B&W's will appreciate the extra power and I doubt very much it will hurt them at all.
    Hopefully some others can offer advice that have the same speaker as yourself.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

I wouldn't worry about the 1070, as long as you aren't listening to it at ear bleeding levels, you should be absolutely fine. Infact you'll actually enjoy listening a whole lot more with that extra "power" to the speakers.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• JCL
        • Apr 2005

It is a good thing that you speakers are overpowerd right? I seen it all the time, it's no problem.

Comment

• Rolex
          • Mar 2005

You can NEVER have too much power. Damaged speakers get damaged because under powered amplifiers are pushed too hard and cause distrotion. Overpowered amplifiers don't have this problem. I ran my signature 805's with a Krell FPB600. 600 wpc continuous, and 1200 into 4 ohms. That's a lot of power, and I never heard my signatures sound any better.

Comment

• JCL
            • Apr 2005

Exactly, overpower is no problem, underpower can couse clipping (is that a word in English asswel?) anyway it's wat you described, the amp has to strugle to give a good signal and this causes damage.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"