X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • herotongtong
    • Apr 2005

Best way to break in the 805 S ??

Got my 805 S home yesterday . What is the best way to break in the 805 S ?? than you very much guys !!
  • caleb
    • Aug 2004

You can dowmload some test tones that go from 60Hz up to 2Khz and back.
    Burn these onto a CD and set your player to repeat.
    If you play these at a medium volume for about 100 hours you should burn in quite quickly.

Trouble is it sends you stupid listening to it!!!!

Comment

• ti33er
      • Apr 2004

I was once told for the quickest method of driving speakers in, one should reverse the polarity on ONE of the speakers i.e. swap the (+) and (-) over. Then remove the grills and position the speakers facing head-on directly opposite each other, about 1 inch apart! ...leave them playing for a day or two on moderate to high volumes?

Apparently this helps extending the drive units further and neutralises the sound waves, so it doesnt drive you (or your neighbours) MAD! ?

(sorry and playing test tones which are usually identical on both speakers!)
      "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• Rolex
        • Mar 2005

I would have to agree with ti33er 100%. I've heard this works great. I've never tried it myself. I wish I would have with the 805S, cause they took a long time to break in. Over 2 weeks before I was happy with the sound at all.

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

How about just playing stuff on them and enjoying them and just keep knowing that they are going to sound better the more you listen!?!?

That seems to work pretty darn good. :T
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• ti33er
            • Apr 2004

PewterTA, no doubt you can look at it that way but I got a bout of tinnitus after listening to fresh out-of-the-box 805S’s – that S tweeter seems quite sharp/abrasive initially and this is a good way to avoid a potential headache (by letting it mellow out whilst one is not present?) ...each to their own however

Comment

• captzerg
              • Dec 2004

I cranked my Sig 805's right out of the box because they sounded so dang good! I suffered from tinnitus too! Its just now, the last several weeks, going away. In the future I'll respect a breaking in period of a couple weeks.

They are powered by my T+A 1530 Int Amp at 170 wpc so it was very sweet.

Good news, my dealer has in the new T+A SACD 1245 R with eight highly selected Burr Brown D/A converters. Don't know alot about that, but sounds good to me. http://www.taelektroakustik.de/eng/ This is the SACD I have been waiting to demo and buy. The dealer has lent me their Meridian G07 for over 5 months now! :T

What I would really like is there tubed SACD, but I bet that sucker is around 6k.

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

I'm only 27 and I have Tinnitus...

It sucks pretty bad. I have a constant ringing in both ears, though the right one is worse. It's not super bad, just a mild or like Level 1 case of it. At night when I lay down and it's quiet, that's all I hear is the ringing in my ears. During the day if I focus on it, I can hear it, but if I don't I typically can block it out. I've definitely learned that even though loud is fun, it's not the best. I'm not really starting to enjoy the quality ten fold over the volume.

It's a shame there isn't a way to reverse it, but as long as it stays the way it is and doesn't get any worse I can live with it. I try to be careful when I go out to clubs, concerts and what not. If it gets to the point where I can't stand the noise I move to some where else or leave. Just wish I had done it before hand when I should've taken care of my ears.
                -Dan

Comment

• greggz
                  • Jun 2002

Too bad they don’t have something like Lasik for ears. oke:

I've got it in my right ear, and can pinpoint the exact cause: Pink Floyd, Division Bell Tour, Mile High Stadium <no pun intended>, Sept 18, 1994, Row 6, right by the gargantuan speaker stands.
                  Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• perato
                    • Jan 2005

I've had tinnitus for at least 14 years. Wear earplugs with an appropriate noise reduction rating for your exposure. You cannot reverse hearing loss, but you can prevent it.
                    In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

• ti33er
                      • Apr 2004

WOW! Sorry to hear that and you guys really ought to take it easy with the music then...apparently Tinnitus can even cause insanity! My mum had a friend in her youth with severe Tinnitus and the poor girl eventually committed suicide! ...hopefully modern science will find a cure and maybe grow new ears for all of us...hmmm even better yet, a hybrid human/canine ear replacement so we can really nit-pick our systems hehe

Comment

• csuzor
                        • Nov 2004

off-topic: tinnitus

Still continuing off-topic, I permanently hear a high pitched sound as well, low level (I figure it's about 10kHz from the comparison with a test tone). I once did a hearing test, but they found 20% loss in the mid range (1kHz), apparently due to over-exposure to machine noise. I guess they did not go as high as 10kHz then.

It does not make me less sensitive to high frequency, I have always had a problem with TV: I can hear when they are on, from several meters away. No matter what TV... for OSD, I have to turn on the TV, use OSD, then turn it off to avoid listening to it in addition to the music. My wife, who can hear the kids in the night when I can't, can't hear the TV...

As for music, i think it's a matter of training: even at low-med levels, we can all hear the sounds, but not recognise it equally. Appreciation of music requires training.

Here's an interesting site, but not much help.

Comment

• PewterTA
                          • Nov 2004

Off-Topic again, last time I promise.

Csuzor, I think I'm about the same as you, I can hear pretty much all sounds from what I'm able to tell with test tones. But like you said, I have a high pitched sound in my ears.

I can tell a TV is on without having to be in a room, I can often tell from outside of a room that a TV is on with a black screen. Sounds like a whining sound coming from the TV. I've caught myself a couple of times thinking I turned the TV off when I didn't, then stopping and hearing it was on (yet you would never know), so I just hit the button and it goes off.

Mine's annoying when I'm sitting not doing anything and it's quiet, but with the normal drone from day to day, it's not bad at all.

From what I've read and understand, it seems that there are for lack of better explination, little finger like things that are on the ear drum and as the exposure to high SPL occurs it actually "kills" or stops them from responding which causes the ringing and hearing loss. Hopefully one day they might be able to find a way to re-create them, or get them working again to help people.

I know I'm really careful at concerts and what not now. I hate even going to clubs where the music is just way to loud...I know people are drunk, but do they have to play stuff THAT loud!?
                          -Dan

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"