how much did you pay for your new b&w speaker?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tongjw
    • Mar 2005

how much did you pay for your new b&w speaker?

Hi.
    Just like to know how much you pay for your new b&w speakers?
  • sugarmedia
    • Feb 2005

Only if you tell me how much you paid for yours first.

Seriously, why? There are too many variables for you to apply my purchase price to aid your buying decision.

Comment

• junior77blue
      • Nov 2004

Sugarmedia, are you always this cranky?

tongjw, I believe there is a thread posted about this already...but expect ~10% off retail pricing.

Comment

• tongjw
        • Mar 2005

thank you .

Comment

• KenK
          • Mar 2005

B&W is very difficult to get discount. The dealer's license will be terminated if excessive discount is given.

Comment

• KEF
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by tongjw
            Hi.
            Just like to know how much you pay for your new b&w speakers?
            15% off -

Cheers,
            Keith

Comment

• miner
              • Mar 2005

N804 $1400 ea, - retail $1750

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by KenK
                B&W is very difficult to get discount. The dealer's license will be terminated if excessive discount is given.
                I hear this from time to time from other members of this forum but I wonder just how true this is.

I recently called a dealer and asked if I could get a 20% discount from them, granted I would be spending between 10K and 12K, and they said they could probably work something out.

Ken, do you know a B&W dealer personally? Have you seen their agreement with B&W? How do you know what they are telling you isn't just an negotiating tactic?

I think it really boils down to how much you are planning to buy (at once) more so than anything else.
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Jeff
                  • Dec 2004

I have found a good working realationship with a dealer is important. If you generally work with one dealer when putting together a highend HT system a positive relationship should develope. That's been my experience.

However, if you have no business relationship with a dealer why should he cut you a V.I.P price. The best deals are the ones you never hear about.

I visit the dealership at least once every two weeks to shoot the breeze and to talk audio. Once a dealer knows you serious about audio and your a buyer not a looker and if he's a good business man he'll know what to do to keep you happy.

Comment

• jahlion
                    • Feb 2005

To get the best deal you really need to be friends with the dealer. Maybe then you can talk him into selling you "demo" speakers for a nice discount. By "demo" I mean: they break 'em in for a week or two, so you aren't really getting them "new". I don't think there is a maximum discount on "demos". I get 20% off on all my CD's and DVD's too. :wink:

Comment

• KenK
                      • Mar 2005

Rebelman,

8 years ago, I know two dealers (both chinese) lost their licenses due to excessive discount. No I did not read the agreement, but I know one of the salesman personally and that what he was telling me. Also Jeff is right that the "best" deals are the ones you never hear about, like 26% off.

Ken

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

I agree, establishing a good working relationship with the dealer is important and if you become friends in the process that's good too. But I believe most deals don't go down that way. Why? Because neither party has the time to invest in it. So it really comes down to how much the dealer wants your business and how well you can negotiate. The best deals you don't hear about makes good "business" sense. They are in business to make money, afterall.

Needless to say, to state that B&W is strict with discounts I think is a little misleading. I asked my dealer, just today after my first post, if he is restricted with his discount policy and he stated that they (I suspect the owner) allow him some flexiblity but that too deep a discount would not be profitable for him, that was all.
                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• KenK
                          • Mar 2005

Maybe this they were all telling me some BS story. Maybe those dealers in LA lost their licenses for something else. who knows as I am not the owner. As long as you get the discount the what's matter.

Comment

• joe_s
                            • Mar 2005

As I'm in sales myself (not audio / video though) I understand that different products have different list to net price ratio expectations, obviously affected by supply / demand, and competition.

I've been working with a dealer for almost a year waiting on the new B&W line.....which they denied was forthcoming as they tried to sell the last series....but I waited in part because of input on this forum.

Since that time the scope of this project has grown to include McIntosh and Runco plus (4) 802D's, and (1) HTM1D, cables, etc......almost $ 100,000. They offered approximately a 5% discount. I was expecting closer to 20%. For this equipment, is this a unrealistic expectation ?

I have no problem providing someone with a adequate return on his investment....it's to my advantage that they make money and remain viable from a support perspective, but as with my clients, I don't want to pay above market.

There are other reasons I was disappointed with what was supposed to be the final demo before purchase. For example, (1) they had not adequately calibrated the sub (velodyne) that they are recommending, and tried to hard sell me on not waiting on the B&W ASW875, (2) there was a problem with the McIntosh MX-135 (a small static charge turned it off), and (3) the MVP861 (universal player) played SACD, at least as it was set up that day, inferior to my existing SONY SACD player(a $ 1000 unit, but no DVD-Audio which I would like to have).

That said, there aren't that many dealers that carry essentially all the brands I thought I was interested in, and I was ready to be done with making this investment.

Thoughts ? Suggestions ?

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                              • Mar 2005

Joe S,

You need to either talk with the dealer and say that a 5% discount is unreasonable with the amount of stuff you plan to buy or go elsewhere. My dealer initially only offered me a 10% discount which is what they give most people that bargain a little with them. But I stayed a loyal customer and since then my discounts have grown. I just recently picked up a set of demo N804s to add to my system as rear surrounds. I got them for $2k a pair. Granted this discount is a bit extreme as I have befriended the manager at the store. But with the amount of money you're plunking down, you should at least expect a 15% discount if not more. I know the margins that are in the speakers so even with "deep" discount of 15%, they are still making money.

Comment

• KenK
                                • Mar 2005

wow $2k for N804 is cheap, the cheapest I have seen was for $2,300 from Audiogon. Also even with 15% discount, they still make money. Audio has high profit margin (40-50%), but they need that margin to stay in business.

Comment

• Stockinv
                                  • Jan 2005

Joe, what you are saying is that 1) they denied the D models were coming out anytime soon 2) they tried to hard-sell you on a sub 3) they are offering a measly discount on $100,000 worth of equipment.

Personally, I would seek another dealer. I wouldn't be too hung up on trying to utilize specific makers. At the hi-end of the market, there are plenty of terrific components. With the amount you are spending, I would take my time, get the right system, at the right price.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                    • Nov 2004

ditto...

5%?

Sounds like these guys don't know what their doing anyway, so the the support theory is out the water.

One option would be to piecemeal it...speakers from dealer A, and the rest from dealer B, so that you get what you WANT.

I would EXPECT 20% off a deal of that large.

Comment

• jahlion
                                      • Feb 2005

If you are near Conn, Mass, or NY you should talk to my dealer instead. I guarantee you will get a better discount then a measly 5%! Just tell 'em Curran sent you. By the way, my dealer carries both B&W and McIntosh.

Comment

• zpanky
                                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by joe_s

Thoughts ? Suggestions ?
                                        5% is an insult, as far as I'm concerned. Walk away, they'll chase you for 100k. 15% should be easy. 20% realistic. 25% awsome.

Comment

• joe_s
                                          • Mar 2005

I just wanted to say thanks to those who have provided me with your perspective / input. I had my checkbook with me for that last visit. I've decided to put it away and wait for a well done demo and reasonable package price. I've waited almost 50 years for this system.....I can wait a bit longer.

Comment

• starlights
                                            • Nov 2004

37% on each item - pair 602s3 Pair 601s3 LCR600 Denon 1905 and 40% on Rotel RMB 1075 All brand new in the Box with all Warranties

No i am not related to the Dealer !

Comment

• cflin
                                              • Mar 2005

12% off for brand new 803S.

Comment

• Stevebez
                                                • Oct 2003

10% off 803D's

I possibly could have pushed for more ... since I was the stores first "D" customer ... but did not know this until they were delivered!!!

Rgds Steve

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"