X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • musicman
    • Mar 2005

Help with speaker crossover setup

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and new to HT generally. I've recently setup my system in a dedicated room. Equipment is as follows :

Nautilus 802s as mains
    HTM1 centre
    SCM as rears
    Lexicon MC12 processor
    Chord Electronics SPM 3005 power amp
    Velodyne DDs 12 subs . for left and right use.

I'm having problems integrating then subs to the main speakers . I've tried various settings but HT is fine but not in pure music mode.Can anyone help with how I should set the various crossovers for the speakers or give guidance as to the yardstick I should use?

thanks
  • Phil Rose
    • Aug 2000

I've never tried stereo subs but understand that they are a real bear to setup becuase of the room modes and how they interact with each other.

Just guessing mind you but, you might want to try the subs out of the corners next to the 802s and toward the center of the sound stage. Then, since you have DDs, run the room eq on the subs independently of each other. After that I'd try setting the crossover on the MC12 to 40hz for the mains.

I know that the Lex has a huge range of things that it can do with subs but, other than what I've mentioned as a possible starting point I'm clueless. A huge number of Lex enthusiats hang out on the SMR forum and they'd be a great resource to guide you through your set-up issues. http://www.smr-forums.com/

Comment

• musicman
      • Mar 2005

I did try putting them at the outside of each 802 near the corners of ther room. For HT , the bass output was such that bass freaks would be more than happy! But for music, it was just not right.

Coincidently , I did try them on the inside of the 802s and the room response seems to be better. As you know the Velodynes have a microphone facility to measure room response which you can then use to setup the sub on the fly. But it is still a long a tedious procedure.

I don't know what speakers you have but if they are the 802s, have you crossed them over at say 40-50Hz?

Regards

Comment

• musicman
        • Mar 2005

Oops I forgot to mention, I did try the smr forum. They weren't too forthcoming with infor.

I think for starters for all those 802 owners out there who have HT setup, just trying to get an idea as to how you have managed to set up your systems.

Also, I went for the stereo sub option purely to balance out the bass response which I think is actually better compared to just the one.

Regards

Comment

• Phil Rose
          • Aug 2000

Well, I have N802s crossed over at 60hz and run a single HGS-18 (DD-18 predecessor) for HT only. I would also recommend that you use 60hz for your HT application. I blew out a set of woofers in one 802 when I had 40hz set for the crossover frequency. For music I run the N802's full range since their response is very good (not great) into the deep bass and I don't have to hassle with trying to integrate the sub.

My sub is in the corner for convenience but, that causes a huge gain in output. So, if you want smoother response pull them out of the corners. I think that you proved this to yourself from your description of what you've tried thus far.

If I were to run my sub for music I think that I'd set the crossover at 40hz or maybe even 35hz. The 802s are good enough down to that level and keeping the xover low should also make sub integration easier. If it makes sense, set the subs right next to the 802s toward the center. Hopefully all speakers are at least 3ft (1M) from the rear and side walls. Do run the equalization for the subs. That will smooth the response and make your task much easier. I believe that the modes of the room will be a challenge to overcome but with persistance you should be able to achieve a good compromise that will work for HT and music.

Comment

• ti33er
            • Apr 2004

...don't know if this helps but REL suggest one never set over the "A3" setting for music, which is under 30Hz ...with 802's I would imagine "A1" = 22Hz should be the maximum crossover for music - it is only that very last bit of bass that you are looking to extend is it not?
            "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• caleb
              • Aug 2004

I have 802's with the 850 sub.

On my TAG processor you can set the crossover at various frequencies.

Trouble is for HT the best is 80Hz. but for music it is best at 50Hz (allowing the 802's to do the bass bit better).

After almost six months I have realised that in the TAG menu, you can in fact set different crossovers for different processing modes (when in doubt RTFI!!).

So I have solved the problem.

Maybe your Lexicon will allow you to do the same??

Comment

• Dan Schulze
                • Jun 2003

musicman,

There is a Velodyne Support Thread over at AVS Forum. Here is a link to a member and his experience integrating two Velo Subs with his B&W's.

Curt & Bruce (from Velodyne) are very helpful with sub questions, and they generally respond quickly.

By the way, you got some nice gear there!!

As for my setup, I don't have the Velo DD subs, but for HT I use 80Hz for my sub crossover, and 80Hz for all of the speaker crossovers.

For music, I have my crossover set to 45Hz for the sub, my main speakers (N802's) are crossed over at 35Hz, and my rears and surrounds (all are N805's) are crossed over at 45HZ. For music I don’t use the center channel (except if I listen to a concert DVD, and it was mixed that way.) I know I have a 10Hz overlap, but it doesn't seem to create any problems that I notice. I have the N802's set that way since they are such a good speaker, I figure I might as well let them handle more of the lower frequencies in music anyway.

Hope this helps.

Dan
                I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"