X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • turbokuo
    • Feb 2005

Amps that sound like "Tube Amps?"

I've been reading reviews on certain amps/integrated amps and some reviewers have used the term, "sounds like a tube amp."

What are the sound qualities of a tube amp that make them better than non tube amps?
  • sugarmedia
    • Feb 2005

The sound. Sorry, that's the best, most concise answer.

For anyone who may be interested, a little fine reading on tubes!

(you'll nead acrobat reader, but can download it for free)

Check out Musical Fidelity. I just bought the A5's

Comment

• js24
      • Feb 2005

Anything that's class A or
      Mcintosh, (I wish I could afford one)
      MF A5 is a good compromise if you are budget minded

Comment

• DanR
        • Dec 2004

Tube amps are often said to have very realistic mid-range and sweet/warm highs. No edge or harshness up top. However, they tend to suffer in the bass dept. as well as power output. Using a tubed pre-amp with a solid state amp is the best and most affordable way to get a tubelike sound with the advantages of solid state power(bass, output)
        :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• captzerg
          • Dec 2004

What is the advantage of having a tubed CD player? T+A has their new V Series SACD/CD that I would like to demo and it has tubes.

Eigentlich sind wir Wissenschaftler … … denn T+A bedeutet Theorie und Anwendung in Sachen Audio-Technik. Das heißt wir erdenken, fertigen und optimieren HiFi-Komponenten höchster Qualität mit dem Ziel, vollendete High-End-Produkte für unsere Kunden in alle

But since it is going through my amplifier that doesn't have tubes would the amp cancel out the warmth of the tubed CD player?

Comment

• rolski
            • Feb 2005

IMHO you should do a little web-research as it's commonly recognised that tubes, due to their nature, introduce distortion during amplification. Not the kind of screeching distortion that puts your teeth on edge, but the kind that changes & smooths (=distorts) a signal. Hence the "warm-sound" comments.

www.audioholics.com is a great source of technically-based HiFi info and makes great reading on such subjects.

The aim of an amplifier is to amplify - without introducing distortion - so it all depends on what your eventual goal is with your HiFi. The same is true of speakers - some are much "smoother" or "more relaxing" to listen to than others - because of their design.

I'm firmly in the camp of "if it's on the disc - then I want to hear it - good and bad" for better or for worse - that's why I've gone for B&W speakers & TAG-McLaren-Audio players, processing & amplification !

Comment

• Stockinv
              • Jan 2005

Tube Amps

I notice that tube amps have much lower power specs (watts) than SS.
              I'll see many SS amps with 200w,300w and more. However tube amps are usually 100w or less. How do the two equate? Is a 100w tube amp as powerful as a 200w SS? Or are we talking apples and oranges here?

Comment

• sugarmedia
                • Feb 2005

Read the .pdf article I attached in my earlier post. It's all in there. There's even some pictures for those that don't like to read.

Btw...Tube CD players such as the Musical Fidelity A5, produce some of the best sound I've heard.
                Last edited by sugarmedia; 06 March 2005, 05:40 Sunday.

Comment

• tmt
                  • Jan 2005

I'm also concidering a tube cd-player.
                  The Audioaero Capitole MK II has it's own tube pre-amplifier. The latest revision now has 3 inputs so it can also act as a pre-amp for other stuff.

At $5000 (I think MSRP is $7000) it's very expensive for 'only' a cd player, but it's supposably one of the best sounding cd players out there, regardless of what kind of amplifier you connect to it.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"