X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • turbokuo
    • Feb 2005

I envy you guys...

I make a decent salary and have no debt BUT I still have a hard time imagining myself spending more than $2,000 on a pair of speakers (my Polks at $1,100 a pair was bad enough). I've narrowed it down to the 804's but eveytime I think I'm going to swing by the store and buy them I think to myself, "Wow, $4,000 for JUST 2 speakers...there's a lot of other things that I can do with this type of $$$!!!" And since I'm at $4,000 which already freaks me out, why not go all the way and get used N802 for $5,500!?!? Finally we haven't even touched the whole electronics part of this.

How did you guys get past this mental barrier?
  • js24
    • Feb 2005

I don't think it is necessariliy a good thing to break the barrier...
    I think this is possibly the worsest hobby I've got myself into... once you are in, you are doomed :evil:

Run away while you can.... or just do it and join the club :W

Comment

• Seeme
      • Dec 2004

I totally understand where you’re coming from. I just took it one step at a time, as I started out with the 601’s and now I have the 804’s, HTM1 and the Classe CA-3200 for them. You can start out with something that you can afford like the 703 or 704 and enjoy them and most dealers allow you to upgrade within a year. Then as you same the money before you know it you will have paid for the 804's or even the 802’s. Just remember that it takes time and patience is a virtue.

Comment

• RobP
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Turbokuo, sometimes in life you just have to take a deep breath and jump, its only money. More will come around. Enjoy your life, the worse thing to ever do is to do nothing. As far as that mental barrier, break it, and keep breaking it, but do it wisely. That is where true living begins!
        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• willbrosk
          • Sep 2004

Its is very difficult and like Jay said im not sure it is a good idea. You start with something like the polks you have, but after you hear something so like B&W 804s you realise how poor what you have is. Then say you buy the 804s then you find out what you have to power them doesnt cut it. So its a vicous cycle. I think you justify it like you justify a nice car. If you have the money and will give you enjoyment with making anything or anyone suffer why not. As a side note due to all the diamond series B W coming out most dealers are clearancing their old stock, so I would shop around you can get 803s for 3500 instead of 804s for 4k(us)

Comment

• jazznsoccer
            • Apr 2004

Hi all,

Please be sure to keep some perspective! I've had a hard time spending this kind of money on "fun stuff", but I did it AFTER I had all the kids college money and retirement fully funded and then some. For many years I did without (i.e. only had consumer range stuff). And it was ok since I spent most of my free time camping, playing soccer with the kids, coaching teams, working with the school (and let's not forget bustin' ass to work the job to pay the bills). So I had a great time with other activities. But now I can afford this. So don't be sucked in by the next little bit better thing. Just do what's fun within your responsibility.

:T You're doing the right thing to research and explore. Now just figure out your budget (how much you want to spend on speakers and gear - and how much you'd rather spend on other things) and get what fits within your budget. And be sure to have some balance in your system (don't get $5500 speakers and try to drive them with a $400 receiver).

None of us had all the toys at once...

but its fun now!

Comment

• Dutch in USA
              • Jan 2005

LOL nice one JnS!,

I saw that coming so I did it the other way around: get it while you can asap Life is too short to make a 20 year plan. When my kids arrived I made my biggest purchases as I know that priorities will and should change (a bit

I have been a hifi nut all my life. When I was doing a weekend job, my friends were just hangin'. When I bought my first serious gear they were asking: how did you get that money? I guess it is about working for the money and get what makes you happy. Without some sweet machines I would not be as nice a daddy as I am now!
              But...as soon as you are in doubt..do not make a step. Think it over and put it in your perspective. When you spend $$ but listen to it with doubts in your head, it is a waste.
              I agree with JnS on "None of us had all the toys at once..." and that is also the fun part!

Comment

• Herbonbay
                • Jan 2005

Money is simply useless paper. It's only value is arrived at by the mutual perceptions, or perhaps misperceptions, of it's users and the societal blind faith that it is backed by something real and tangible. If there were nothing that you needed or desired, like food or B&W speakers, the power of money would disappear. Because there are B&W speakers, there is money. Money is nothing more, and nothing less, than potential. Potential that can only be realized when it manifests itself in the fulfillment of a need or desire. In the absence of true needs and desires, money would be meaningless and cease to exist.
                You can do one of two things, become a Buddhist, or allow your money to reach it's full potential and buy the 803's. Whatever you do, don't waste it!
                Herb

Comment

• Dan Schulze
                  • Jun 2003

turbokuo,

Although I have always enjoyed good sound, it wasn't until family was grown (& wife left) that I could really do anything substantial. When I started looking a HT/stereo stuff, I realized that things had come a long way since the 70's (the vintage of my stuff in 1996). There was this thing called "pro-logic" - boy did I have some learning to do. Fast forward to 2003 - after having my Polk speaker/Denon receiver set-up for 6 years, I wanted to upgrade. I started to look at one component at a time, and when I was auditioning sub's, the dealer had N802's in the same room. I immediately found out I was missing so much sound. Although I ended up spending twice as much as I had originally set out to spend on upgrading my whole system, I got to the point 6 months after initially hearing the N802's that I just had to have those speakers!!! The money seemed secondary at this point. Then came the "I don't have enough power" thing and more cash exited the wallet.

Long story short (to late!) - I am now very happy with my system and have no desire to upgrade the sound for a very long time.

How did I overcome the mental barrier - my need for B&W N802's took care of that!!

Above all have fun!!!

Dan
                  I want to be SHAKEN not stirred!!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2003

Turbokuo,
                    Originally posted by turbokuo
                    How did you guys get past this mental barrier?
                    Go on...

You know you want to....

Give in now - "Resistance is Futile..."

Geoff

Comment

• RenoReno2
                      • Jan 2005

Have a savings account that you actually save in then have a savings account to blow away the money. When you have the funds in the blow account buy what you want. Credit cards are the worst thing to have imo.

Comment

• brendon
                        • Aug 2004

I am lucky in a weird kind of way as after being an aircraft engineer for the past 17 years I tell myself that my hearing is half shot(between pneumatic rivet guns and gas tubine engines and mates bands who equated volume with musical virtuosity ) and that spending anymore than the 6 series B&W system I am currently putting together would be wasted on me and therefore spending anymore would be silly.
                        Also staying away from high end demo rooms also helps!!
                        I suspect I am at least 15 years away from Dans position as I have two young sons and a new house!
                        Brendon

Comment

• js24
                          • Feb 2005

more serious answer:
                          Honestly, I think it depends on how much you value the listening experience.
                          To me, music takes a substantial part of my life...
                          At this point my life- 26, almost there to receive my Ph.D. in biochemisty from a prestigious institute- music and hifi sit very pinnacle of my short list of almost anything but my newly wedded wife

I admit I'm spoiled by my audiophile father and his endless support on this hobby..
                          (I work as an (un)official consultant to his company as a side-job, and he pays me $$$ more than other people, knowing I need extra money to waste on the hifi stuff)

I think my future is bright.. (I really hope so..).. so why not just enjoy everyday to fullest?
                          cape di em, indeed
                          good luck
                          JS

Comment

• Glen B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                            Turbokuo, sometimes in life you just have to take a deep breath and jump, its only money. More will come around.
                            Got kids ? According to your profile you're 35, not old enough to have kids in college. Just wait until that day comes :twisted: . I've got one kid in college and another starting next year. Both have know only private elementary and Catholic high schools (read pay through the nose) all their lives because I just didn't want them in the (New York City) public school system. It didn't help either that my younger kid chose to attend a high school with one of the highest tuition costs. Inspite of this, I was able to buy those kilobuck components. But now, with the reality of ever-increasing high school tuition, soon-to-be-doubled college expenses and a mortgage, it is becoming harder. These priorities dictate what if anything gets spent on toys. This seems to be a reality for many others here at HTG.

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

Well, as much as I would love to get those 802's my dealer has on demo, I just cant stretch it anymore. I think what is harder than spending the money the first time is knowing when to quit. It is quite a slippery slope. There is always going to be a "next best thing." Sometimes we can do it, and sometimes we can't. I started off with 601's in 1997 and now I am up to 804's. Not bad. Im happy with the sound. Not as happy as I would be with the 802's of course, but still happy.
                              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Romanesq
                                • Feb 2005

The Slope

In 1999 I broke up with a girlfriend in a overseas relationship.

I reintroduced myself to audio and started looking at equipment and reading stuff as well. I heard a pair of the Nautilus 803s matched with Rotel. Tried to go to a number of places to hear other speakers but in the end, I landed up coming back again and again to the 803s.

That was 25K ago. Do I regret it? Nope.

Went from Rotel amp/preamp to a used McCormack DNA-2 Deluxe Rev. A. Had that modified by Steve McCormack to his new platinum series. Incredible.
                                300 watts of the smoothest juice you can find. The Rev. A was enough to make me forget Rotel forever.

CD. Had a 555ES 300 Cd changer. At first major price break, bought the Sony SCD777ES SACD player. Since then, have sent it to Oregon TWICE to a gent named Richard Kern for dramatic improvements.

Preamp: Went tube with a small shop in Vancouver. Space-tech Lab. Owner, named Albert let me try a smaller standard version. Landed up sending it back for one of his top ones; a ten tube baby that is just as nice as butter.

Some sound anchors, P300 PS Audio power plant, Grand Prix Monaco stand later, I'm in the Zone.

IMHO, you should have gotten the 803. Then spend five years like me building around them.

Oh and today I got off audiogon from a guy in the town over four large panels of 3" Sonex. Applied to the side walls where the speakers are closer than I'd like, I'm imaged out. :B

Comment

• Dutch in USA
                                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Romanesq
                                  At first major price break, bought the Sony SCD777ES SACD player. Since then, have sent it to Oregon TWICE to a gent named Richard Kern for dramatic
                                  Hi Roman,

I have the SACD777ES, which is the follow up of your player. I loved the sound then and still do everyday. I live in Oregon, and I am interested where you had an upgrade done and what it brought you at what $? I am not so much of a tweaker as it could very well be that you are actually tweaking your brain
                                  The only time I compaired tweaked system was when testing out 3 Marantz cd player, the standard, the SE and the KI. That difference was huge! So I am not categorically putting my head in the sand. Research is good!

Cheers,
                                  Dutch

Comment

• Nick M
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Nov 2004

If you have the cash, and you're unsure whether or not to purchase them than don't, because you don't want them bad enough. I only lay down my hard-earned green backs when I have no doubts about the purchase, or there is a good trial period. If you're in a situation where you don't have the money, then my advise would be not to go into debt. If you can't come up with the cash in a reasonable amount of time on your own, then you should probably be looking lower down on the food chain, or finding a part-time job to use as play-money. In the end, its just more of your time out the window paying back interest. Getting bills everymonth just plain sucks too.

Just my humble opinion.
                                    ~Nick

Comment

• ti33er
                                      • Apr 2004

I agree mostly with Nicholas statements above! However sometimes one cannot simply lay down the cash outright, but having my time over (I am buying a house and have sold everything for now) I will first save up enough for at least 30% of the item to be purchased if I am to buy on credit.

This way, if you hit hard times, or need to sell you won't be straddled with debt for stuff that you don't even have, as you lose about 30% of the value just by opening the box...how much money have I lost on HT stuff over the past 2 years(!?) about £6000!!! - I have gotten roughly £3000 back on £9000+ spent in the end...this has been one EXPENSIVE LESSON and I hope none of you have to learn this way!
                                      Last edited by ti33er; 01 March 2005, 15:52 Tuesday.
                                      "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• Mitchell
                                        • Sep 2004

I look at this stuff as I do furniture and other purchases that are as the govt says "durable goods". If I plan to have something like my Rotel/B&W system for close to a decade or more than I will spend more knowing it should be good enough to hold its own in future years. If it is something like a computer which I believe is a disposable commodity these days I buy cheap dont worry about cutting edge.
                                        Hope this is helpful.
                                        Mitchell

Comment

• Jeff
                                          • Dec 2004

Turbo, personally I would't go into debt for anything (except a house). I've always paid cash for everything, cars, furnitures, vacations...everything. I'm not rich!!! I just manage money well and can't spend money I don't have. It must be a DNA thing. If your in your 30's and not in debt then I'm preaching to the choir.

I had a perfectly balanced system before I purchased the N802. Every other audio/video purchase was easy and well thought out. Then B&W discontinued Nautilus. From everything I read, the N802's was the big leap in sound not to mention styling. I knew I couldn't justify 12k for the 802D. I felt the N802 was a life time purchase. I'm 42 and I'll be ENJOYING these speakers for the next 20 yrs +. :T

With the young ages of my boys, pre-teen, I spend lots of time at home interacting with them (dad is fun plus all knowing and powerful ) Whether its motorcycles, snowmobiles, atv's and the like (I don't have any of these), audio is just another hobby. The frequecy of enjoying home audio us MUCH greater than most other hobbies. Few other hobbies can be enjoyed almost every day of the week, week in week out.

If you truly enjoy home audio and you don't see anything substantial in the next 5 years or so start your jouney. Buy everything at a discount. If and when you ever sell, most of your principle will be returned.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"