• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark-n-b
    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ShadowZA
    Thanks Mark-n-b.

I find the following to be improvements:

1. Better lower midrange and base. Sound is fuller and feels complete.
    2. Slightly better soundstage and 3-dimensionality.
    3. Sound feels less boxy and less directional. I close my eyes and it is as if the artist/band is in the room - more so with the 802D's than the 803D's.
    4. Perfect height factor wrt tweeters (enables better enjoyment of high frequencies). I found that the 803D's were just too tall when considering my listening position. Now, it's perfect.

One thing though. I do find the look of the 802D's to be more distracting than the 803D's. I often find myself admiring the looks instead of concentrating on the music being played. To cure this, I do a fair amount of listening in the dark, or with my eyes closed. Bliss!
    I don't blame you - the whole setup looks great. I have noticed though, that when we have people round it is always the girls that say something like "WOW! - what great speakers!"

Comment

• Mark-n-b
      • Apr 2005

Ideally I'd prefer to have a dedicated room for audio (as opposed to home theatre) ... underground. :T
      With you there - that will be in my plans... :T

Comment

• HedgeHog
        • Dec 2008

That looks really nice! May I know what size that Pio screen is? 50" 60" I just ordered a 60" Pio and will be getting 802Ds as well so I'm gauging spacing requirements.

Thx.

Welcome to the Club, KODG.

Things have changed somewhat since then ... but the cables are still visable.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD / Oppo BDP-105 / Apple TV G2 / QNAP Turbo NAS TS-210
        Classe Audio SSP-800 / Classe Audio CA-M400 (x2) + CA-5200
        B&W 802D2 / B&W HTM2D2 / B&W CCM-818 / JL Audio Fathom 113
        Richard Gray Substation 240V + 1200 Custom / ESD Cable Isolators Mk II.
        Clear Day Double Shotgun Spkr Cable / White Zombie Audio ZeroPointZero Silver XLR / LessLoss DFPC Original

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by HedgeHog
          That looks really nice! May I know what size that Pio screen is? 50" 60" I just ordered a 60" Pio and will be getting 802Ds as well so I'm gauging spacing requirements.

Thx.
          Thanks, HedgeHog!

It's a 50" panel. Good luck with your order. The 60" is :T :T :T

Comment

• Mark-n-b
            • Apr 2005

Thanks, HedgeHog!

It's a 50" panel. Good luck with your order. The 60" is :T :T :T
            Would you eventually consider the HTM1D or are you sticking with the HDM2D?

Comment

• Race Car Driver
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Do we need to keep quoting that pic? :lol:

Nothing against it at all, awesome system, but ive seen this same pic for 2 pages straight.
              B&W

Comment

• marky mark
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                Do we need to keep quoting that pic? :lol:

Nothing against it at all, awesome system, but ive seen this same pic for 2 pages straight.
                :rofl: :rofl: , I thought the same thing too

Comment

• ShadowZA
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Mark-n-b
                  Would you eventually consider the HTM1D or are you sticking with the HDM2D?
                  I'm sticking with the HTM2D ... for now.

Comment

• Hallett
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by HedgeHog

Thx.
                    Sure looks nice :T
                    Classe ssp-600
                    Classe CA-M400 Monoblocks
                    Classe CDP-100
                    B&W 802D :T ;x(
                    Velodyne DD-18 :T

Comment

• Briz vegas
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Yes, I think he needs to do some ugly things to the room to get better 2 channel sound however.

Of course none of it will be practical otherwise he would have already pulled those 802 away from the wall and forward of all that gear inbetween his speakers which is compromising the sound. I only say that because I have done ugly things for better 2 channel sound. For each listener the balance between looks, sound and practicality is different. My setup is very impractical and requires 10 minutes setup before I can watch a film.
                      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• ShadowZA
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Hallett
                        Sure looks nice :T
                        Thanks Hallett

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                        Yes, I think he needs to do some ugly things to the room to get better 2 channel sound however.

Of course none of it will be practical otherwise he would have already pulled those 802 away from the wall and forward of all that gear inbetween his speakers which is compromising the sound. I only say that because I have done ugly things for better 2 channel sound. For each listener the balance between looks, sound and practicality is different. My setup is very impractical and requires 10 minutes setup before I can watch a film.
                        Briz, if only you knew how much I really really want to do some beautiful ugly things (no oxymoron intended) to the room. Maybe you do know! That's why I like it here ... y'all understand ... "sniff!"

Of course, there are other folk to consider.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Yeah, I guessed that was likely to be the case. You have probably gotten away with murder already with all that gear cluttering up the house.

Personally my only constraint is the two small hairy (furry) blokes who own the house. Or at least that is what they think. I still get comments from friends and family also however which does temper some excess.

How many CDs in that rack of yours? Because I have been ploughing all my spare change into my system I have a mere 300 or so plus 50 vinyl records from the 80s that don't really count. I lack a phono stage amongst my gear which resides with me. My mom currently has my only amp with a phono stage.. ......actually that is not true, I have a late 70s Nakamichi pre but it needs some attention - I should get it fixed one day.

I've bought 6 CDs in the last fortnight so I am actively trying to get a decent balance. Its interesting how many system photos ignore the CD rack. Maybe its because they only have CDs by Kamahal and the Wiggles (easy listening and kids music).
                          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• ShadowZA
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Yeah, I guessed that was likely to be the case. You have probably gotten away with murder already with all that gear cluttering up the house.

Personally my only constraint is the two small hairy (furry) blokes who own the house. Or at least that is what they think. I still get comments from friends and family also however which does temper some excess.

How many CDs in that rack of yours? Because I have been ploughing all my spare change into my system I have a mere 300 or so plus 50 vinyl records from the 80s that don't really count. I lack a phono stage amongst my gear which resides with me. My mom currently has my only amp with a phono stage.. ......actually that is not true, I have a late 70s Nakamichi pre but it needs some attention - I should get it fixed one day.

I've bought 6 CDs in the last fortnight so I am actively trying to get a decent balance. Its interesting how many system photos ignore the CD rack. Maybe its because they only have CDs by Kamahal and the Wiggles (easy listening and kids music).
                            You said it! :T I've gotten away with murder. Can get away with more ... just have to act with stealth under the cloak of night.

I've got 255 CD's and 50 DVD's in that rack. I have another 100 or so CD's stashed elsewhere (which I - and others - never listen to anymore - mostly 80's pop). A goal I have is to fill the rack with great stuff that is listened to most often. I've hoarded the rest in a cupboard elsewhere. I'd like to turf some of the "not-listened to" CD's out ... but others are not keen for me to do this.

Comment

• sikoniko
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Aug 2003

You said it! :T I've gotten away with murder. Can get away with more ... just have to act with stealth under the cloak of night.

I've got 255 CD's and 50 DVD's in that rack. I have another 100 or so CD's stashed elsewhere (which I - and others - never listen to anymore - mostly 80's pop). A goal I have is to fill the rack with great stuff that is listened to most often. I've hoarded the rest in a cupboard elsewhere. I'd like to turf some of the "not-listened to" CD's out ... but others are not keen for me to do this.
                              you should move to digital. The one thing I walked away from CES is that high-end is embracing the digital media in a BIG way. hard drive is superior to "little shiny, spinny disks".

The you can hide ALL of your disks and play anything you want at the touch of your fingers.
                              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                                you should move to digital. The one thing I walked away from CES is that high-end is embracing the digital media in a BIG way. hard drive is superior to "little shiny, spinny disks".

The you can hide ALL of your disks and play anything you want at the touch of your fingers.
                                This seems to be the way the world is moving. Definitely something to look into.

Comment

• focker
                                  • Oct 2008

Here is a few photos of my system after finally getting the entertainment center project finished.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by focker
                                    Here is a few photos of my system after finally getting the entertainment center project finished.
                                    803D's ... awesome!

Great too that the color of your rack matches your speakers. :T

Comment

• Relentless
                                      • Jul 2007

Nice but, you have to get that speaker out of the corner. The reflections have to be reeking havoc on the imaging.
                                      I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                                      Lou

Comment

• focker
                                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Relentless
                                        Nice but, you have to get that speaker out of the corner. The reflections have to be reeking havoc on the imaging.
                                        I wish I could but until I move into a new house in the fall I am stuck. I live in a small guest house above a garage.

Comment

• Jovl
                                          • Jan 2009

After enjoying the pictures of the various systems on this forum................ this is my first post.
                                          I have owned B&W DM602 , 803N , 802D before.
                                          I am from Belgium............. sorry for my very bad English ops:
                                          My setup : amplifier Krell FPB 700cx , préamp Krell KCT , cd player Krell KPS 28c , speakers B&W 800D.
                                          My second setup : Rotel 06 series: RT-06 tuner , RCD-06 cd player and the RA-04 amp.

Greeting Jovl
                                          My setup : http://forum.puresound.be/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25
                                          Sorry for my English ops:

Comment

• Relentless
                                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Jovl
                                            sweet.... 800D's powered by Krell..... welcome to the forum :T
                                            Lou

Comment

• htsteve
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2004

focker,

Is that an MC303 amp I see on the right? I bet it sounds great in that setup.

Comment

• focker
                                                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by htsteve

Yes MC303

Comment

• Jovl
                                                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Relentless
                                                  sweet.... 800D's powered by Krell..... welcome to the forum :T
                                                  Thanks............... see page 69 for more photo's
                                                  My setup : http://forum.puresound.be/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25
                                                  Sorry for my English ops:

Comment

• marky mark
                                                    • Feb 2008

Jovl
                                                    that's one huge amps you got there

flocker
                                                    nice setup love the way the speakers blends with your tv stand

;x( ;x( ;x( ;x( ;x( ;x(

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by htsteve
                                                      focker,
                                                      :lol: that made me laugh.
                                                      B&W

Comment

• Metro
                                                        • Jan 2009

803D setup (listening position is too close)

Hi... I thought I would post and see what I can improve on in terms of esthetics.

I do have a problem with listen position. I find myself about 4 feet in front of the 803D's for the optimal listening. Perhaps it could be the accoustics of the room or maybe I am not feeding these hogs enough juice or quality.

I have Bryston 4B SST (300 + watts p/c)and a Bryston BCD-1 Cd (excellent reviews) player with a Bryston Pre Amp BP25p.

As you can see I am a fan of Bryston (20 year warranty)... just built so tough! I also like the simple industrial look.

I use a ARCAM AVR 300 for Video and Movie Audio switching.

This is my first post.

Thanks
                                                        Attached Files

Comment

• wettou
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Metro
                                                          Hi... I thought I would post and see what I can improve on in terms of esthetics. I do have a problem with listen position. I find myself about 4 feet in front of the 803D's for the optimal listening. Perhaps it could be the accoustics of the room or maybe I am not feeding these hogs enough juice or quality. I have Bryston 4B SST (300 + watts p/c)and a Bryston BCD-1 Cd (excellent reviews) player with a Bryston Pre Amp BP25p. As you can see I am a fan of Bryston (20 year warranty)... just built so tough! I also like the simple industrial look. I use a ARCAM AVR 300 for Video and Movie Audio switching. This is my first post. Thanks

Cool very cool pictures
                                                          it might be the glass from the fireplace, the plasma and hard wood floor, put thick rug in front of the speakers.
                                                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Gump
                                                            • Sep 2005

I do have a problem with listen position. I find myself about 4 feet in front of the 803D's for the optimal listening. Perhaps it could be the accoustics of the room or maybe I am not feeding these hogs enough juice or quality.
                                                            Beautiful room and set-up, Metro! You had me fooled with that first picture, I thought the plasma was actually a picture on the wall....Ha!

What do you mean exactly by "optimal listening"? Those Bryston's plus the 803D's should give you plenty of dB's..enough to cause a small tsunami in that aquarium :E .

If there's something not right with the sound quality, then I'd agree with wettou about the room needing acoustical treatments. That equipment should sound spectacular.

Comment

• Gump
                                                              • Sep 2005

Yes MC303
                                                              Very cool :T . I like the handles on each side.

Comment

• Metro
                                                                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Gump
                                                                Beautiful room and set-up, Metro! You had me fooled with that first picture, I thought the plasma was actually a picture on the wall....Ha!

What do you mean exactly by "optimal listening"? Those Bryston's plus the 803D's should give you plenty of dB's..enough to cause a small tsunami in that aquarium :E .

If there's something not right with the sound quality, then I'd agree with wettou about the room needing acoustical treatments. That equipment should sound spectacular.

HMMM Thank you for all your comments.

At 4 feet all sounds are GREAT!!!... at 8 feet things get harsh especially the midrange sound... could be reflecting and coming at me at dif angles?

maybe toeing the speakers in and out may help. I will try placement and then start with sound absorbers. Acoustical pannels may be the next investment.

Would you all agree that the 4B SST is good enough to drive the 803D's?

What about changing the pre amp (BP25p) to a Denon Receiver to act as a pre to soften the sound?

Anyway I should stop and start experimenting.

Thank you all !!!

Comment

• focker
                                                                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Gump
                                                                  Very cool :T . I like the handles on each side.
                                                                  At 154 pounds it had to have those on that thing, CRAZY heavy... and I had to haul it up a flight of stairs (with help of course).

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

HMMM Thank you for all your comments.

At 4 feet all sounds are GREAT!!!... at 8 feet things get harsh especially the midrange sound... could be reflecting and coming at me at dif angles?

maybe toeing the speakers in and out may help. I will try placement and then start with sound absorbers. Acoustical pannels may be the next investment.

Would you all agree that the 4B SST is good enough to drive the 803D's?

What about changing the pre amp (BP25p) to a Denon Receiver to act as a pre to soften the sound?

Anyway I should stop and start experimenting.

Thank you all !!!
                                                                    You hit the nail on the head then took a left turn and went AWOL with that last statement. A dedicated pre-amp is really important for good sound quality a receiver is a box full of compromises.

You comments about the sound beautifully described a nearfield sound where the speakers are the main thing you hear(four feet) vs a more distant listening experience where the room plays a bigger role (8 feet). If your system sounds great at 4 feet you don't need to touch your system, just focus on the room.

I see lots of hard surfaces all around so I would start with the first reflection points.includng that back wall. The harshness that you are hearing is from reflected sounds and direct sounds hitting your ears at similar but slightly different times, which the old grey matter is reading as harshness as it thinks all the sound is coming from your speakers. Treating those first reflection points will increase the delay on the reflected sound and your brain will then recognise the ambient sound for what it is and will focus on your speakers, just as it does at 4 feet listening position, with the room adding some further dimensions to the sound.

Denon receiver :roll:

Comment

• Metro
                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2009

You hit the nail on the head then took a left turn and went AWOL with that last statement. A dedicated pre-amp is really important for good sound quality a receiver is a box full of compromises.

You comments about the sound beautifully described a nearfield sound where the speakers are the main thing you hear(four feet) vs a more distant listening experience where the room plays a bigger role (8 feet). If your system sounds great at 4 feet you don't need to touch your system, just focus on the room.

I see lots of hard surfaces all around so I would start with the first reflection points.includng that back wall. The harshness that you are hearing is from reflected sounds and direct sounds hitting your ears at similar but slightly different times, which the old grey matter is reading as harshness as it thinks all the sound is coming from your speakers. Treating those first reflection points will increase the delay on the reflected sound and your brain will then recognise the ambient sound for what it is and will focus on your speakers, just as it does at 4 feet listening position, with the room adding some further dimensions to the sound.

Denon receiver :roll:

WOW... this is some great advice that I wanted to hear.

Thank god I do not have to think of equipment upgrades.

I love music especially the magic that comes from it with a hi end system.

I do have the itch to upgrade to 802D's but my rooms acoustics must be tackled first.

Great job to all the members in this thread!!! :T

One last thing UNIVERSAL REMOTE. Thinking of T2-C from RTI

Comment

• William
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Aug 2006

...One last thing UNIVERSAL REMOTE. Thinking of T2-C from RTI

http://www.rticorp.com/files/cutsheet_t2c.pdf
                                                                        I went with a Pronto 9400 and really like it. I have a friend with a RTI T3-V that he paid over twice as much and it seem to be no better (except he must call his installers to modify and I do mine on the fly).

Can't wait to post my 802Ds, HTM1D and 803Ds setup.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                          • 3389

WOW... this is some great advice that I wanted to hear.
                                                                          Thank god I do not have to think of equipment upgrades. I love music especially the magic that comes from it with a hi end system. I do have the itch to upgrade to 802D's but my rooms acoustics must be tackled first. Great job to all the members in this thread!!! :T
                                                                          Go take a look at Rives Audio they will make you room sound right :T

Or if you want DIY and cheaper check these out: Auralex Sonic Print
                                                                          SonicPrint™ Artistic Acoustical Panels seamlessly combine our acoustically proven technology with unlimited design and style options for any room. A SonicPrint is an Auralex ProPanel Acoustical Absorption Panel with a custom-printed design or photo.

For you remote the Logitec One is very hard to beat
                                                                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• MikeFL52
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Oct 2007
                                                                            • 118

Or if you want DIY and cheaper check these out: Auralex Sonic Print
                                                                            SonicPrint™ Artistic Acoustical Panels seamlessly combine our acoustically proven technology with unlimited design and style options for any room. A SonicPrint is an Auralex ProPanel Acoustical Absorption Panel with a custom-printed design or photo.

For you remote the Logitec One is very hard to beat [/QUOTE]

Re: Auralex

Another Hallmark Moment!!

Seriously, it's a nice idea, but the prints are very limited and to be honest pretty boring.

I agree that the Logitec One is tough to beat.

I have used Prontos in the past and given free time they are very versatile. My most recent before the Logitech was the MX3000 but when they stopped supporting home users and I moved to Mac's it turned it into a pretty expensive brick.

Comment

• Lewisimo
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Jan 2009
                                                                              • 54

Damm there are some nifty set ups now on here! I have upgraded a few little bits since my last post - spike feet and a new Chord Chameleon interconnect (I was actually really surprised by the improvement it made!) Also my new CD192 should be here by tomorrow so that's next up!

Chord Cable:

Images not available

Speaker Spike Feet:

Images not available
                                                                              Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 15:09 Tuesday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2003
                                                                                • 899

What type of discs are those, that the spikes are sitting on? I've got ceramic tile floors, and would like to find something similar. (Currently using rubber feet at the bottom of my stand-mounted 805Ss.)
                                                                                Brad

Comment

• Lewisimo
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2009
                                                                                  • 54

They are called 'Perfect Sound Discs' or something, but I live in the UK so i'm not sure whether you guys could get them in the US?

Comment

• Lewisimo
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2009
                                                                                    • 54

Also guys post up pics of your speaker wire / interconnects, as that's as interesting as gratutious speaker shots imo!

Comment

• ironcorn
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2009
                                                                                      • 17

Hi, been lurking for awhile, this was my first B&W setup a few years back, gone but not forgotten. 10 speakers total, 4 x FCM 8, 4 x SCM 8, 2 x PCS 8.
                                                                                      The system sounded wonderful for movies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIF_0659.webp
Views:	55
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	948964

Name:	KIF_0657.webp
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	948965
                                                                                      Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 15:09 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ironcorn
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Feb 2009
                                                                                        • 17

This is what I got now, room is terrible (check my sub placement), but sounds ok. Now I have to get some surrounds, I'm thinking of adding 803S for the back channels or maybe going up to 803D/HTM2D front and moving the 803S to the rear. I like the non D sound, but the "I poured Log Cabin" all over the sound coloration of the D models sounds ok as well, but not sure if I'd like it in the long term. I had to take -12db out of the sub to get it to blend well for music with the fronts, lots of bass from the Fathom.
                                                                                        Using Parasound A51 and Anthem pre/pro

Name:	IMGP0508.webp
Views:	54
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	948966

Name:	IMGP0531.webp
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	948967

Name:	IMGP0536.webp
Views:	51
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	948968

Name:	IMGP0541.webp
Views:	56
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	948969
                                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 15:12 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Relentless
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2007
                                                                                          • 317

Originally posted by ironcorn

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMGP0541.webp Views:	0 Size:	29.8 KB ID:	948969
                                                                                          You have got to move that sub if possible.
                                                                                          Last edited by theSven; 05 September 2023, 15:13 Tuesday. Reason: Update quote
                                                                                          Lou

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                                            • 3389

ironcorn

Very nice congratulations :B

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"