X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jack d
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by OC 335i
    Yes, the speaker is on a simple black VTI stand right in front of the equipment right now. I don't really like it so I'll probably put it on some type of shelf when I'm more motivated.

The 1057 sounds great, I don't have any complaints about it other than it doesn't have HDMI 1.3 but who does? It was relatively easy to setup. I bought the Velodyne DD-10 off a local on Audiogon and absolutely love it. The bass output is perfect for my needs in this size of room (nice and tight) and the physical size and eq of the DD-10 is what attracted me to it.

As for the 600 center, I'm not sure if it's anything I've done wrong but during movies, sometimes it is a bit hard to hear speech. I've set the time alignment on the Rotel and during movies, I find myself adjusting the center channel on the dvd player for more output.
    That's too bad about the 600. I had the HTM7 and I didn't like that one either. The only one I've been fully satisfied with is the HTM1D. No complaints there but I am just looking for something decent for my second set up which is in a small bedroom. I wonder if with acoustic room correction you could get more clarity out of the 600.

I've heard that the Velodynes are absolute monsters but so are their prices! Nice that you picked up one used.

I've got a center channel stand on order from a place called Mapleshade records. It looks real nice on their web site. Right now, as you can see from my photos, I've got my HTM1D propped up with 2X4s which is pretty ugly so almost anything would be better than that.

Comment

• jack d
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by babar
      Hi Guys,
      Anyone got any thoughts on how I can get some advise specific to my current system. Basically I am looking for things I can do to improve the experience not limited to making significant upgrades.

I would really like some advice on:

Acoustics (do I need more carpeting?)
      I couldn't tell from your photos but have you placed acoustic panels to absorb first reflections (side walls and ceiling)? Also maybe you could place panels in the corners to tighten up the bass response.

Comment

• See-Fu
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by OC 335i
        Yes, the speaker is on a simple black VTI stand right in front of the equipment right now. I don't really like it so I'll probably put it on some type of shelf when I'm more motivated.

The 1057 sounds great, I don't have any complaints about it other than it doesn't have HDMI 1.3 but who does? It was relatively easy to setup. I bought the Velodyne DD-10 off a local on Audiogon and absolutely love it. The bass output is perfect for my needs in this size of room (nice and tight) and the physical size and eq of the DD-10 is what attracted me to it.

As for the 600 center, I'm not sure if it's anything I've done wrong but during movies, sometimes it is a bit hard to hear speech. I've set the time alignment on the Rotel and during movies, I find myself adjusting the center channel on the dvd player for more output.

I've noticed that on my setup w/ the rsx 1057 i get better transition between the center and the front left and right speakers if i put the receiver on dolby prologic II.

Comment

• rickc
          • Sep 2006

Eliav,

I am thinking about adding a pair of Classe monoblocks to my current system. I have the following:

SSP 600
          CDP 300
          B & W 802D's
          Audioquest cables

I am very happy with my system, but I am currious what differences I could expect by adding the mono blocks to my current sytem. I see that you have them and I am interested in your feedback. I am not sure if you have ever heard the 5200? I have read that the 3200 is similar?

Thanks

Comment

• D-bucket
            • Jun 2005

jack d,

I'd be really interested in hearing your candid comments on the performance of the acoustic room treatment in your ht, especially the before & after effect.

Btw, very nice setup! I see you subscribe to the triple threat approach to the audio side of home theater:
            Robust Room Treatment + Great Speakers + First Rate Electronics = An Awesome Listening Environment

Comment

• jack d
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by D-bucket
              jack d,

I'd be really interested in hearing your candid comments on the performance of the acoustic room treatment in your ht, especially the before & after effect.

Btw, very nice setup! I see you subscribe to the triple threat approach to the audio side of home theater:
              Robust Room Treatment + Great Speakers + First Rate Electronics = An Awesome Listening Environment

Thanks for the compliments.

Room Treatment: The panels made a huge difference. They made the entire frequency range clearer and especially the low range which got much tighter. As you can see, I tried to correct for first reflections but also low frequency distortions (all the corner panels). The panels are all RealTraps and they are particularly good (not only since they look good and are high quality build) because they come in two flavors. The standard bass traps, like what I have in the corners and at any non-first reflection point, are designed only to absorb at lower frequencies so you can add as many as you can find space for without damping down the mid and high-range. The other flavor, which is used for first reflections, is designed to absorb along the entire relevant frequency range. I can't say enough about the impact the panels had on sound quality and the cost for all those panels was in the modest range of what I paid for my Arcam pre-pro. If I had to make a choice between the two for monetary reasons I would take the room treatment without hesitation and get cheaper electronics; that is how strongly I feel about the effect of the panels.

Before and after panels: I already had the panels in place when I upgraded to the 800 series BWs but when I was installing them I had a set of 700 series. I had heard the comments about the brightness of the BWs below the 800 series and I have to say that when I first set up the 703s in front they did seem a bit stressful in the high range. Once I put the panels up, however, all of that just went away. There was more clarity but the high range was not fatiguing at all. I should say that my room is highly reflective. The floor and ceiling are cement with only the wood panels on the floor. The walls are plaster over cinder block. And most of the left wall is a floor to ceiling window. So I'm sure the room added significantly to the apparent harshness of the 703s. In any case, I'm sure that all but specially acoustically designed rooms have all sorts of sonic problems that need to be addressed by acoustic panels if you really want to get the most out of your investment in speakers and electronics.

I'm no expert but based on my limited experience the most important elements in order are: (i) speakers; (ii) room treatment; (iii) electronics. Having said that, I just recently added the MC402 for L/R amplification and that made a surprisingly big difference. It really opened up the sound stage. I was just playing around with a loaner and didn't expect to keep it but once I heard the sound I just left it there and told the guy to ring up my credit card.

Moreover, while I am excited about the imminent arrival of the Meridian G68 pre pro (to be installed in about a week) I still think that the most important elements are the speakers and room treatment. The one thing that I have not been able to achieve so far with speaker placement and room treatments is to get a really balanced sound stage for the other two main listening positions (to the left and right of the center chair). Maybe that is shooting too high for my kind of set up but I kind of hope that the Meridian room correction software will help with that a bit.
              Last edited by jack d; 04 January 2007, 18:36 Thursday.

Comment

• D-bucket
                • Jun 2005

Thanks jack d, your detailed comments on your experience with those specific panels & their impact on the sound along with your recommendation on the importance of room treatment in general are very much appreciated. Your observations resonate very strongly with my own recent impressions and amplifies so clearly my past neglect of (or little attention given to) such an important aspect of the listening environment.

I look forward to now investigating & researching this aspect of the audio equation with the same vigor and motivation that I have applied to the speakers & electronics in the past. I guess you can call me a "convert" now, thanks.

Comment

• jack d
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by D-bucket
                  Thanks jack d, your detailed comments on your experience with those specific panels & their impact on the sound along with your recommendation on the importance of room treatment in general are very much appreciated. Your observations resonate very strongly with my own recent impressions and amplifies so clearly my past neglect of (or little attention given to) such an important aspect of the listening environment.

I look forward to now investigating & researching this aspect of the audio equation with the same vigor and motivation that I have applied to the speakers & electronics in the past. I guess you can call me a "convert" now, thanks.
                  I found the RealTraps site (realtraps.com) to be a particularly good source of no nonsense acoustic information. They have a bunch of articles and videos discussing and demonstrating various aspects of acoustic theory. I actually purchased a set of panels from another manufacturer and only came across realtraps later. I should have done more research before my first purchase as I ended up having to sell a lot of panels at a signfiicant discount and re-hang all the panels (which is a bit of a hassle--especially the ones on the ceiling). There are a lot of panel manufactuers these days and you can get pretty inexpensive panels but my experience is that you get what you pay for....and, while more expensive than the cheaper ones, the good quality ones are not that much compared to good electronics and speakers.

Comment

• GregLett
                    • May 2005

Which Manufacturer

I've been looking at different manufacturers of room treatments. Aurelex has a complete starter kit for $200. It includes Bass traps(8) and panels.
                    The everything else I looked at cost alot more. 2 panels for close to
                    $200.

Is Aurelex stuff any good?
                    Greg

Comment

• adaum
                      • Jan 2007

This is my first post

I have been looking at this site for a while now and finally decided to join in. I am impressed with everybody's systems. I while post some photo's as soon as i can.

Comment

• jack d
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by GregLett
                        I've been looking at different manufacturers of room treatments. Aurelex has a complete starter kit for $200. It includes Bass traps(8) and panels.
                        The everything else I looked at cost alot more. 2 panels for close to
                        $200.

Is Aurelex stuff any good?
                        I am not an expert so I do not feel qualified to make a definitive statement about the Aurelex starter package. I think, however, there is no short cut to doing a bit of research before you make the plunge. If I had followed my own advice I would have saved some money and time.

When I was first setting up my system I felt that I needed acoustic treatment and I didn't know much about it; I hurriedly visited a few web sites and found one place that had prices much below other sites so I just pulled the trigger because I couldn't distinguish between the various brands. In the end I wasn't satisfied and had to swap all the panels out for ones that I felt comfortable with after having spent some time doing the reseach. I would never have done that with my speakers or electronics but for some dumb reason I did it with acoustic treatment. It was a mistake.

Comment

• GregLett
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by jack d
                          I am not an expert so I do not feel qualified to make a definitive statement about the Aurelex starter package. I think, however, there is no short cut to doing a bit of research before you make the plunge. If I had followed my own advice I would have saved some money and time.

When I was first setting up my system I felt that I needed acoustic treatment and I didn't know much about it; I hurriedly visited a few web sites and found one place that had prices much below other sites so I just pulled the trigger because I couldn't distinguish between the various brands. In the end I wasn't satisfied and had to swap all the panels out for ones that I felt comfortable with after having spent some time doing the reseach. I would never have done that with my speakers or electronics but for some dumb reason I did it with acoustic treatment. It was a mistake.

Thanks. I've been doing research, but they all claim to be great, you know how that is The best bet would be an in home audition, but that wouldn't happen I figure. The next best thig is to read what forum members are using and what results they are getting.
                          Greg

Comment

• jack d
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by GregLett
                            Thanks. I've been doing research, but they all claim to be great, you know how that is The best bet would be an in home audition, but that wouldn't happen I figure. The next best thig is to read what forum members are using and what results they are getting.
                            Yeah I know how it is; it's hard to cut through the crap. One thing I can say is that I'm extremely pleased with the RealTraps. And the owner, Ethan, was a great help. He spent a lot of time over the phone and via email providing advice and patiently answering all my questions. He actually went out of his way to provide advice about placement, etc. without encouraging me to replace my first set of panels with his. He was actually doing the work of the owner of the company whose panels I initially purchased. I think that part of what you are purchase is advice about your own room. The sellers can give you some good tips if they are willing to spend some time with you and provided that they actually have sufficient knowledge.

I came to the conclusion to swap after I ordered one of the RealTraps free standing panels. As soon as I took it out of the box I realized the difference in quality. And they are more effective than my first set. If you go to his site I think you will see that he is really trying to provide good information to people. And I can tell you that his panels are very professional looking and well-made compared to the other stuff I have seen. Yeah they are more expensive but I feel that they are well worth it.

In the end, you have to make up your own mind.

Comment

• Gene Simmons
                              • Sep 2004

Fife - gorgeous set up! Love the drop down screen too. :T

May I ask what platform you use for your centre? Is it from Soundanchor?

Comment

• Fife
                                • Apr 2004

Thanks Gene.
                                Yes it is indeed a Sound Anchor stand and its almost the same dimensions of a N804 stand and my center is tilted upwards.

Comment

• Mj12
                                  • Dec 2004

211 amps with bw 802N
                                  Best sound i ever had.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

:E ;x(
                                    B&W

Comment

• GregLett
                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                      :E ;x(
                                      :agree: That's a white glove operation for sure.
                                      Greg

Comment

• PewterTA
                                        • Nov 2004

;x(
                                        :amen:
                                        :drool:
                                        I think that says it all...

When can we come over? opcorn:

...atleast give us some more pictures!
                                        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                        -Dan

Comment

• dowda
                                          • Jan 2007

2-channel system in Cow Town

Here is the system:
                                          Rotel RT 10-80 tuner
                                          Onyko Integra Cassette player
                                          CD player: Krell KAV 250a MK II
                                          Preamp: Krell KRC3
                                          Amp: Chord 1200e -- amazing control
                                          Speaks: B&W 804n (non-bi-wire) w/ Sound Anchor stands
                                          All wire is Siltech!!
                                          System is fed from a 20amp dedicated circuit
                                          Power conditioning: Chang Light Speed 705 w/ 30 amp power chord upgrade

Music, anything that is good -- no country & western, current rap, or opera sorry -- email me via my web site if your interested in my current 'playlist.'

Musik Rulez

Dave Gilden MCSD // member of American Federation of Musicians Local 72-147
                                          ( kora musician / audiophile / web master @ cora connection / Ft. Worth, TX, USA)

================================================
                                          Cora Connection: Your Source For World Music!

Comment

• yourtoys7
                                            • Feb 2006

Mj12,
                                            that just look so HOT!!!, very, very nice :>
                                            Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
                                            PSB T6,
                                            Velodyne SPL 1000R
                                            Rotel RSX-1057
                                            Rotel RB-1070
                                            OPPO 103
                                            Apple TV
                                            [

Comment

• trainCatcher
                                              • Sep 2006

Hi guys,

I've been lurking here for a while. This is a great resource! I've definitely used some of the suggestions posted here to assemble a system that fits my goals, budget, and WAF requirements.

Fronts: B&W DM603 S3
                                              Center: B&W LCR600 S3
                                              Rear: B&W DM601 S3
                                              Sub: SVS SB12+
                                              Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5960
                                              CD/DVD Player: Zenith XBV443
                                              TT: Rega Planar 3

Acoustic Panels: DIY OC703/wood/burlap

The panels are easily removable/movable in order to cross the critical WAF threshold. I had to modify my entertainment center slightly in order to fit the LCR600 in the center channel slot. This gave me a chance to also move the TV slider, so that the center speaker can be pulled out of the cabinet during use.
                                              Attached Files

Comment

• jack d
                                                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by trainCatcher
                                                Hi guys,

I've been lurking here for a while. This is a great resource! I've definitely used some of the suggestions posted here to assemble a system that fits my goals, budget, and WAF requirements.

Fronts: B&W DM603 S3
                                                Center: B&W LCR600 S3
                                                Rear: B&W DM601 S3
                                                Sub: SVS SB12+
                                                Receiver: Yamaha HTR-5960
                                                CD/DVD Player: Zenith XBV443
                                                TT: Rega Planar 3

Acoustic Panels: DIY OC703/wood/burlap

The panels are easily removable/movable in order to cross the critical WAF threshold. I had to modify my entertainment center slightly in order to fit the LCR600 in the center channel slot. This gave me a chance to also move the TV slider, so that the center speaker can be pulled out of the cabinet during use.
                                                I'm curious about why you put those acoustic panels between the wall and your eq rack. Have you tried them in the corner between the floor and the wall? I wonder if it would give you more bang for the buck.

Comment

• jack d
                                                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by dowda

Here is the system:
                                                  Rotel RT 10-80 tuner
                                                  Onyko Integra Cassette player
                                                  CD player: Krell KAV 250a MK II
                                                  Preamp: Krell KRC3
                                                  Amp: Chord 1200e -- amazing control
                                                  Speaks: B&W 804n (non-bi-wire) w/ Sound Anchor stands
                                                  All wire is Siltech!!
                                                  System is fed from a 20amp dedicated circuit
                                                  Power conditioning: Chang Light Speed 705 w/ 30 amp power chord upgrade

Music, anything that is good -- no country & western, current rap, or opera sorry -- email me via my web site if your interested in my current 'playlist.'

Musik Rulez

Dave Gilden MCSD // member of American Federation of Musicians Local 72-147
                                                  ( kora musician / audiophile / web master @ cora connection / Ft. Worth, TX, USA)

Cora Connection: Your Source For World Music!

Is that red fabric thing on the front wall specifically an acoustic panel or just a decoration?

Comment

• trainCatcher
                                                    • Sep 2006

I'm curious about why you put those acoustic panels between the wall and your eq rack. Have you tried them in the corner between the floor and the wall? I wonder if it would give you more bang for the buck.
                                                    Hi Jack,

Which corner did you have in mind? Behind the speakers? I usually have the larger panels (bass traps) in three wall-wall corners of my room.

I think the two small panels behind the equipment rack primarily block the first relection. When I was optimizing the location of the three bass traps I found the largest improvements in SQ when I put them behind the speakers. The room all of a sound started sounding "bigger". At the time, I only had enough materials to build two more little panels. I found that I got pretty much the same improvements with the little panels as the big ones. I'll admit that I didn't try putting them on the floor, as you suggested.

Your setup is pretty killer, but my wife would not let me put that many panels in my living room. Which panels did you find the most important in your nice setup?

Cheers,
                                                    Mike

Comment

• jack d
                                                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by trainCatcher
                                                      Hi Jack,

Which corner did you have in mind? Behind the speakers? I usually have the larger panels (bass traps) in three wall-wall corners of my room.

I think the two small panels behind the equipment rack primarily block the first relection. When I was optimizing the location of the three bass traps I found the largest improvements in SQ when I put them behind the speakers. The room all of a sound started sounding "bigger". At the time, I only had enough materials to build two more little panels. I found that I got pretty much the same improvements with the little panels as the big ones. I'll admit that I didn't try putting them on the floor, as you suggested.

Your setup is pretty killer, but my wife would not let me put that many panels in my living room. Which panels did you find the most important in your nice setup?

Cheers,
                                                      Mike
                                                      I was thinking of the corner behind your front speakers between the floor and the wall. Or really any corner formed by the walls and the floor or ceiling. From the little I know, the most effective place to put bass traps is in those corners as that seems to be where the long low frequency waves "congregate."

I think I did get the biggest bang for the buck in terms of bass trapping from all the panels in the corners of my room. The panels flat on the wall are mostly to catch first reflections. I did, however, space the panels flat on the wall about 4 inches away from the wall as I was told that this helps add to bass trapping. I guess the idea is that whatever waves get through the panel on the first go round bounce off the wall and then the panel gets a second shot at absorbing them.

I know there are different schools of thinking about first reflections off the front wall, but from what I've read, most speakers really do radiate for the most part toward the direction they are facing, at least at the higher frequencies which is where you are concerned about first reflections. I am, however, thinking of putting another panel on the one wall space I have left which is on the front wall! In any case, I guess you know about the mirror trick to find out where the first reflections are off the side walls. The ceiling is easy because you just take half the distance from the speaker to the listening position. You can also calculate the first reflections off the side walls with a little formula if that's easier.

I know that the wives will have a lot to say about the panels but I found that the RealTraps that I have look quite good since they use high quality materials and finish them off with a metal frame. My wife actually though that they made the room look better because they added a sort of "dimensionality" to the look. I guess I'm a lucky guy. :B

Comment

• dowda
                                                        • Jan 2007

red fabric thing behind the EQ rack

Is that red fabric thing on the front wall specifically an acoustic panel or just a decoration?
                                                        The cloth is from The Gambia, West Africa -- hand tie dyed.
                                                        It covers an acoustic panel that sucks up reflections -- I heard
                                                        in a very lively room at a local home theater store -- lots of dry wall
                                                        and reflections, the room had no acoustic treatment.
                                                        When we put the panel in the room all 'slap echos' -- were gone.
                                                        Got the panel for $125, and covered with the cloth.

It improves the imaging...

Regards,

Dave
                                                        Last edited by Burke Strickland; 21 January 2007, 22:38 Sunday. Reason: Advertising URL deleted

Comment

• dowda
                                                          • Jan 2007

B&W with Rega and Manely monoblocks

8) It might have been raining this past Saturday afternoon, but inside it was warm with the sound of tubes!!!

Michael from Blue Glow Audio came by to hear my system and brought over some toys. We started out by auditioning the Rega Saturn -- on the top of the Billy Bags rack.
                                                          Now my Krell KAV MK II has 20 bit DACs and presents lots detail, dynamics and bass. But the Rega killed in terms of clarity and musical top end. Only thing missing was HDCD and balanced outs....

But the CD data is 16 bit, 44.1. So what is the scientific reason for the Rega sounding better, is it upSampling? -- it has 24 bit DACs running at 96K.... Need to learn more about this.

Then we kicked in the tube mono blocks (rated conservatively at 100 watts ), playing some Stevie Winwood and some old school Creole funk from 'The Meters' -- the good stuff was released in the 70s IMHO, both recording featured Hammond B3. The music rocked with the n804s powered by the Manley SNAPPER. It was plenty loud with no loss of detail, and plenty of bass slam

Time to upgrade the CD player!

Regards,

Dave
                                                          Last edited by Burke Strickland; 21 January 2007, 22:36 Sunday. Reason: Advertising URL deleted

Comment

• scanido
                                                            • Apr 2006

Here's my setup. 802Ds L/R; HTM1D center; 804Ss surround.

Front View:
                                                            Jack D,

Love what you have done with your setup!

I was looking at those same acoustic panels. Are your panels the wheat color or white?

How much of a difference did they make? They're pretty expensive and want to make sure they're worth it.

Thanks,
                                                            STeve

Comment

• jack d
                                                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by scanido
                                                              Jack D,

Love what you have done with your setup!

I was looking at those same acoustic panels. Are your panels the wheat color or white?

How much of a difference did they make? They're pretty expensive and want to make sure they're worth it.

Thanks,
                                                              STeve
                                                              They are wheat color.

Well as you can see I'm a full blown convert to acoustic treatment. So you can already guess what I'm going to say.

Yes they are a bit expensive comared to other panels but I have no hesitation in saying that they will make a huge difference. I would even go as far as to say that they are the most important part of your system other than the speakers.

Another point: it is hard to judge the build quality until you see them. Initially I had panels from another manufacturer that were in the range of $50 per panel. There is no comparison with the RealTraps. Once I got my first RealTrap I realized that the other stuff I had was pretty crappy and was not as effective. You get what you pay for.

When you consider how much you can spend for fancy electronic equipment, the amount you spend to treat your room compared to the benefits will seem like a bargain.

You won't regret it.

Comment

• JohnAng
                                                                • Sep 2005

Well a bit has changed since i posted up my first setup so thought i best post up some pics

front speakers and centre 703's
                                                                rear and side speakers 705's
                                                                sub asw750

Still got alot of work to do in the room to finish it off but so far am very happy with the results. I was using a HTM7 as centre and i must say, getting the 3rd 703 to replace it was the best move i have ever made.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                                                                  • May 2004

beautiful setup, JohnAng, noticed that you got a 2.35:1 ratio screen, how are you keeping all the sources scaled to that ratio? Do you have a scaler there that I don't see? What kind of screen is that?

Comment

• JohnAng
                                                                    • Sep 2005

Thank you blazemaster.

The screen is 2.37:1 and i will be adding an anamorphic lens in front of it and by using a 4:3 zoom it works a treat.
                                                                    Will just remove the lens for 16:9 movies and use side masking for that.

The screen itself is an oz theatre majestic screen 100" with what they call an evolution 3d material

Comment

• BTB
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Nice CD player JohnAng

I have that one's baaabbby brother, the CD 120 Linear, but I've spent many a happy hour listening to the Droplet at a friends house... class, class, class... :T

Comment

• scanido
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Apr 2006

JohnAng,

I admire your setup, those cherry 703s look sweet! I wish i had a dedicated room like that!

also, those seats look comfy, what brand/model are they?

Thanks

Comment

• JohnAng
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Sep 2005

BTB, thank you for the kind words.
                                                                          I also liked the cd 120 linear, but thought i would keep saving and get the droplet as i loved the look and sound of it.

Scanido, thank you also. That dedicated room ended up costing me a new house
                                                                          But i can't complain, the wife is happy, and i am happy. Those recliners are from a store here in Australia called Roth newman recliners.

I suppose i should list the components used.

CD player conconance droplet
                                                                          2 channel preamp conconance cyber222
                                                                          HT processor Rotel 1098
                                                                          power amps are also Australian made Elektra referance and elektra theatre
                                                                          projector sanyo Z4

Comment

• Club1820
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 269

JohnAng, beautiful setup. I especially like the shelves that you are using for the surrounds. They match your speakers perfectly. I don't particulary like shelves for surrounds (prefer brackets) but those look sweet! I may reconsider brackets vs shelves for my setup.

Did you buy the shelves as is? Or did you just pick up the metal sides and then cut and stain the wood insert to match your surrounds?

Thanks.
                                                                            Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Club1820
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jan 2006
                                                                              • 269

Well as you can see I'm a full blown convert to acoustic treatment. So you can already guess what I'm going to say.

Yes they are a bit expensive comared to other panels but I have no hesitation in saying that they will make a huge difference. I would even go as far as to say that they are the most important part of your system other than the speakers.

Another point: it is hard to judge the build quality until you see them. Initially I had panels from another manufacturer that were in the range of $50 per panel. There is no comparison with the RealTraps. Once I got my first RealTrap I realized that the other stuff I had was pretty crappy and was not as effective. You get what you pay for.

When you consider how much you can spend for fancy electronic equipment, the amount you spend to treat your room compared to the benefits will seem like a bargain.

You won't regret it.
                                                                              Jack, can you summarize how the panels improved your sound? I assume the corner panels improved the bass? Do you also have panels on the side walls?

What $50 panel manufacturer are you referring? What model Real Traps are these that you have?

Thanks!
                                                                              Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Club1820
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 269

OOOPS! Jack, disregard my previous post asking you to summarize the benefits of your acoustic treatments. I went back in this thread and notice you had already done that. 8O

Would still like to know the manufacturer of the $50 traps though. Just so I stay away from them.

Thanks

Comment

• JohnAng
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2005
                                                                                  • 45

Originally posted by Club1820
                                                                                  JohnAng, beautiful setup. I especially like the shelves that you are using for the surrounds. They match your speakers perfectly. I don't particulary like shelves for surrounds (prefer brackets) but those look sweet! I may reconsider brackets vs shelves for my setup.

Did you buy the shelves as is? Or did you just pick up the metal sides and then cut and stain the wood insert to match your surrounds?

Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words.

The shelves were purchased from ikea as are, the shelf actualy coms in long lengths and you just need to cut them to size

Comment

• norpus
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2005
                                                                                    • 60

Originally posted by JohnAng
                                                                                    Well a bit has changed since i posted up my first setup so thought i best post up some pics

front speakers and centre 703's
                                                                                    rear and side speakers 705's
                                                                                    sub asw750

Still got alot of work to do in the room to finish it off but so far am very happy with the results. I was using a HTM7 as centre and i must say, getting the 3rd 703 to replace it was the best move i have ever made.
                                                                                    I have had the pleasure of watching John design and build up this wonderful system and it looks an absolute treat. Sounds even better.
                                                                                    Great effort John - very very integral
                                                                                    Cheers
                                                                                    Norpus
                                                                                    "He who dies first with the most toys wins"

Comment

• troybflying
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Feb 2007
                                                                                      • 2

Originally posted by JKalman
                                                                                      dortiz,

I want to save money down the road and buy the HTM2D instead of the HTM1D, so if you do decide to test it out with some SACD/DVD-A in multi-channel, please let me know how it goes.

Thanks for the reply.
                                                                                      Jeff,

I actually do most of my music listening multi-channel with 802's. I just can't get enough of the feeling of being inside of the performance. My system blends well with the HTM2D center channel. I don't really notice the difference in the tweeters, but I did notice that the center channel seemed a bit boomy at first. I remedied that with the plugs provided by B&W and by sound traps behind the center speaker. The HTM2D is a gr8 speaker and I am happy that I didn't spend the extra $$$.
                                                                                      I'll try to include some pictures as soon as I figure out how to compress them so that this site can handle it.

Troy

Comment

• ssabripo
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Dec 2005
                                                                                        • 336

Originally posted by igor
                                                                                        [IMG][/IMG] Amplifiers = 6 Classe CA-M400
                                                                                        Processor = Classe SSP-600
                                                                                        DVD = Denon DVD-5910
                                                                                        Plasma = Hitachi 55HDM71
                                                                                        Projector = Barco Cineversum 80
                                                                                        Screen = Da-Lite Horizon Multi-Aspect Ratio
                                                                                        A/C = Richard Gray Substation (2)
                                                                                        wow...I'm impressed! :T
                                                                                        My simple HT setup
                                                                                        4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• caleb
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2004
                                                                                          • 514

Originally posted by ssabripo
                                                                                          wow...I'm impressed! :T
                                                                                          Dont be impressed - it's a hi fi salesroom!

Igor turned out to be a bit if a bull$#i!!er

Comment

• GregLett
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • May 2005
                                                                                            • 753

Originally posted by caleb
                                                                                            Dont be impressed - it's a hi fi salesroom!

Igor turned out to be a bit if a bull$#i!!er

I'm not shocked.
                                                                                            Greg

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"