X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rick c
    • Aug 2004

add'l power and 6.1 or 7.1

I presently have rotel rsx1056 w/603s3 mains.In the future i will probably go 6.1 or 7.1(undecided)It's my understanding that all i need to do would be to add an amp for the extra speakers.Now i was also planning on getting an amp to add more power(unk if 2ch or 5ch)to bring out my spkrs even more.I also have a rb-1050 that i use for outdoor speakers.Considering that i'm looking at adding two additional amps 1 for power the other for either 6.1 or 7.1.My question is can this be done and how or what would be the most feasible to do.Can i use a 5ch amp to use for power and 6.1 or 7.1.Also do you guys think that i really can use an amp to the rsx1056 for more power or would it be a waiste of money that can be used elsewhere(it does sound good as it is but can i get more out of them).I hope you guys understand what i'm asking.thanks
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

Hi, Rick, I just exchanged my 602s for 603s, now I have the matching 6.5 drivers all around, very happy. Now it's time for me to start thinking about SACD. If you already have the 1056, I don't think you'll see much difference by adding a 1075. W/ the 1056, I believe all you have to do is add a 2 ch amp and you can have 7.1. So why not pick up something like a 1070 and then get another pair of 601s as rear surrounds?

Comment

• rick c
      • Aug 2004

Blaze,i remember you from another post where it sounded like they were trying to talk you out of changing your 602's for the 603's.Well do you like the change.What differences have you found?In other words you haven't regretted it have you?

Comment

• BlazeMaster
        • May 2004

Nope, I haven't regretted at all. I've had all the speakers from the 600s line in my home for a month or over, except the 604s, DS6, and their subs. The 602s would be my choice if you only have room for, or only want bookshelves. The reason why I went for the 603s was that I wanted a more consistent soundstage and the 603s are a really good match for the LCR600. In going this way, I wouldn't have to get 4x602s as surrounds, since that would be more expensive than getting 4x601s.
        The midrange on the 602s were really clear, but to the point where it gets a little bit fatiguing when I turn the volume up.
        It basically came down to factors such as having matching drivers sizes for multichannel music, therefore cheaper matching surrounds.

Comment

• rick c
          • Aug 2004

this is what i'm getting at right now i have the 603s3 for fronts i'm getting the lcr600 in about a week(on order) i'll have my surrounds (def.tech pro 100's) sold after Xmas(have buyer)will be getting probably the 601's to replace surrounds.So after new year i'll have complete B&W setup to compliment my rotel rsx1056.So i'll be ready to go.How do you have your speakers setup.Large/small,sub yes/no,crossover etc.Right now i have all my speakers to small 80 crossover including sub.In stereo i have mains to large w/no sub also at 80.Wondering what the ultimate correct configiration would be i've heard 60,80 as far as crossover was concerned.I'm just trying to do the best.Just so you know i keep hearing that the 602's are better than the 603's,but to my hears the 603's sound fanatastic,and i dont think they are broken in yet.Additionaly i have the sub crossover (on the sub )nob all the way to highest.Hope this is also correct.I know when spks set to small it is but what about when mains set to large in stereo and no sub.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
            • May 2004

well our equipments are probably a little different w/ the exception of our speakers. I just got my 603s yesterday, so I'm breaking them in by running them as large, everything else at small (lcr600 and 601s). I have them x-over at 60 right now, because that's about where the center and the surrounds start rolling off according to their specs. B&W recommend about a good 100 hours of break-in on them before their soundstage start opening up more, and don't play them really loud during this break-in period. Running them with music at moderate volumes are good way to do this.
            As for which sound better between the 603s and 602s: I don't think this is really about a model vs. a different model issue, it's more about the 7in. midrange vs. the 6.5 in midrange. 603s and 602s is not a fair comparison, a fair comparison would be 604s vs. 603s and 602s vs. 601s. The reason I went with 6.5 in is because the LCR600 share the same size driver and therefore create a more seamless and smooth sound stage all around. I've had the 602s for almost a month, and I felt like I said before that the 7 in. midrange is cleaner, but unless you have a big room, it can be a little bit fatiguing when you turn it up. This is of course, IMO, but since you liked the 603s better, I believe you feel the same way about this.
            And for your sub setup questions, I have the SVS PB12plus/2 and there is a x-over bypass option on it, and that's where I set it at. I let the receiver run its x-over. As for which x-over is better, it really depends on your room and your listening habits. There's is pros and cons to each x-over point and I'm sure the experts on this forum can give more insights. I do know that setting the x-over lower, 60, can make the sub disappear more, and make the sub blend in with other speakers better. This is true for me, because I have the sub in a corner right now and at 80hz, I tend to look in that corner everyonce in a while. With it at 60hz, you're using your other speakers more and the sub blends in a little bit, but this can cause some bass in the higher bass frequency from the sub to cancel out with the mains, 603s. You need to adjust the phase control on this so the bass from the sub and mains aren't cancelling each other out.
            All and all, this is very complicated and you should get either AVIA or Video Essential and SPL meter to fine tune your system. Good luck.
            BTW, you can PM me if you want, since this thread is kinda like our own conversation to each other...lol

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"