DIY room treatment feedback needed

want to make sure I'm absorbing this correctly

here is what i would like to do:

Click image for larger version

Name:	roomnode.webp
Views:	49
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	931097

now it would seem that room nodes ar not very severe bellow 150 (unless i miss read this)
    I will have a sono tube in the left or right corner if that matters

here is a rough idea of my room

Click image for larger version

Name:	roompannels.gif
Views:	45
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	931096

red are bass traps of flat owens-corning 705 (ie air volume behind)

the flat light blue is a sound absorber/ diffuser of 703 that will be solid against the wall with wood slabs on the exterior for looks and diffusion
    this is very necessary since my listening positions is right against that wall

1. Now id assume that id need the same behind the speakers but placement is an issue to to a flat panel tv and other furniture- not to mention aesthetics and cost
    so i was hopping for some advice

2. Side treatment is not feasible- thus should i focus on the ceiling instead?

3 The red bass traps would most likely be implemented last in addition id like to not use that much either- Ive only illustrated in which corners its possible to add treatment

input greatly appreciated
    Last edited by theSven; 01 April 2023, 16:41 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I wouldn't do the corners unless you can do them symmetrically.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• warnerwh
      • Jan 2006

What you can do will help considerably. I don't see any reason not to do the upper bass traps and rear treatment now. I don't know what your speakers are but it's likely that ceiling treatment at the first reflection point would be a good idea.

The money you don't put into your corner bass traps could be used for treating behind the speakers. Once you build the treatments it's usually a good idea to move them around a bit and take measurements as well as listen. Moving the treatments height or position side ways may make a significant difference.

You're fortunate you can add what you can. Many people cannot. You'll be pleasantly surprised how much better your system sounds for the little money and effort you put in.

Comment

• peterS
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
        I wouldn't do the corners unless you can do them symmetrically.
        why is that

Comment

• Amphiprion
          • Apr 2006

Try using 4" thick mineral wool @ 2.5 or 4lb/ft^3 instead of OC703/705. It's much cheaper and just as effective, as well as much more widely available. I was recently quoted 1.30/sf for 703 2", 1.60/sf for 703 2" FSK, and 0.88/sf for 4" 4PCF mineral wool.

Also, I unfortunately think sidewall treatments are of the utmost importance. Bummer you can't do them.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"