X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CADman_ks
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Squidspeak
    Cadman have you considered biscuits and secret Govt. only adhesives
    like some of the top speaker companies employ for their joints? ...
    Good point. That might be a little more hi-tech than screws, but not much.

... I'm in the middle of an Aviatrix build started in Jan. and the sister-outlaw is getting cranky.
    Oh crap!!! :E

That is NOT a good place to be in, right there!! All was good until they jacked up the driver availability, wasn't it!!
    CADman_ks
    - Stentorian build...
    - Ochocinco build...
    - BT speaker / sub build...

Comment

• CADman_ks
      • Jan 2012

More progress...

I took a day of vacation today, and got the cabs lacquered with a coat of sanding sealer, and (3) coats of lacquer. Might have had enough lacquer to do one more quick coat, but decided that it was probably time to stop. On trim, I typically only do sealer and two coats.

But, like all DIY projects, there's always more involved than just "doing" something. In this case, I needed to do the lacquering outside, since I don't really want to do that in my house. But, I don't really want to do it "outside" either, with the wind and stuff. So, what I really needed was a spray booth of some kind.

A while back, I picked up a fan, no make that a FAN! from a co-worker. It's a whole-house fan, and the thing is about 3' (yes, that's FEET!) in diameter, with the hopes of using it as an exhaust fan in a spray booth some day. Shortly after I got it, and built a box for it, and put it on wheels so that I can also use it as a fan in my shop.

I haven't had time to build the spray booth part yet, so I decided to make a temporary booth in my shed, hanging it from my garage door track. It's basically a 10' x 10' square, with 8' side walls. The top is open, and acts kind of like a downdraft booth, where's it's supposed to be sucking air from the top. Here's a picture of fan in the side wall:

Click image for larger version

Name:	P7300227_opt.JPG
Views:	627
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	857572

Here's a picture from the inside, but it's really hard to see anything:

Name:	P7300229_opt.JPG
Views:	636
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	857573

And here's a picture "inside" the booth:

Name:	P7300230_opt.JPG
Views:	602
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	857574

All-in-all, it worked out really well, in fact too good at some points. The fan was SO powerful that it would try eating the plastic, so I had to put some steel weight down on the bottom to hold it there:

Name:	P7300231_opt.JPG
Views:	597
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	857575

This fan really cleared the area out in a hurry!!!

(continued in next post)...
      Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 21:04 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
      CADman_ks
      - Stentorian build...
      - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• CADman_ks
        • Jan 2012

More progress (continued)...

Here's a shot of the cabs "loaded" into the booth:

Name:	P7300233_opt.JPG
Views:	596
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	857576

I had to put them too close together to get them all inside the "booth" at the same time. That meant that I couldn't really get the gun between the boxes all that well. So I tried this up and down thing like you see above. It did allow me to get to all of them, but the ones on the bottom had a lot of overspray, so I quit that. I then did them only on the ends, and I moved the middle two to another place in the booth, which didn't get as much overspray, and that worked a lot better.

Here's the obligitary picture that shows that they are now shiny:

Name:	P7300236_opt.JPG
Views:	640
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	857577

They have a little bit of orange peel, but they'll do just fine, and they are mostly shiny.

Here's a picture of them all lined up and "curing":

Name:	P7300238_opt.JPG
Views:	637
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	857578

I think that lacquer only takes like 24 hours to be cured pretty hard, but I'll let them sit down there for a while and cure. I need to do a little bit of machining on fronts yet, before I paint the accent pieces black, so I want that lacquer to be good and hard.

So, I probably won't do much now, until I work on the next step. More waiting...
        Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 21:05 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
        CADman_ks
        - Stentorian build...
        - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• Squidspeak
          • Jun 2012

Cadman, when you are done with the fan maybe you could DIY it into
          a rotory subwoofer like Eminent Technology. Down to 5 hz. they claim, has anyone heard or experienced that technology?

Comment

• CADman_ks
            • Jan 2012

Cadman, when you are done with the fan maybe you could DIY it into
            a rotory subwoofer like Eminent Technology. Down to 5 hz. they claim, has anyone heard or experienced that technology?
            I've never heard one personally, but this fan does make some very low whoop-whoop sounds. It's only a TWO bladed fan on there. In fact, the fan is made by Propeller Fan (propeller is in the name), so you can guess that the blades look like a propeller.

It moves some serious air!!!
            CADman_ks
            - Stentorian build...
            - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• BigguyZ
              • Jan 2009

I LOVE the Harbor Freight Ad finish for the baffles. Put a high gloss, and you have a final finish that's both pretty and informative. :B

But in all seriousness, looks good. I'm impressed.

Originally posted by CADman_ks
              I've never heard one personally, but this fan does make some very low whoop-whoop sounds. It's only a TWO bladed fan on there. In fact, the fan is made by Propeller Fan (propeller is in the name), so you can guess that the blades look like a propeller.

It moves some serious air!!!

Comment

• CADman_ks
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                I LOVE the Harbor Freight Ad finish for the baffles. Put a high gloss, and you have a final finish that's both pretty and informative. :B

But in all seriousness, looks good. I'm impressed.
                I wondered if anyone would catch that, while I was taping it on there!

FINALLY! I have found a use for something that comes from Harbor Freight, and for that matter a GOOD use for it.

Actually, I used that particular ad, because the paper that it is printed on is actually quite a bit more robust than standard newspaper print paper. I had the two side by side, and went with the HF ad. I didn't mic it, but it literally felt twice as thick as standard newsprint.

Isn't it ironic that the cheapest place on the planet has the BEST advertising??? That's probably by design, I would guess.

Thanks for the cudos!!!
                CADman_ks
                - Stentorian build...
                - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• Squidspeak
                  • Jun 2012

Have you seen my woofers?

Originally posted by cjd
                  I've been thinking it may be time to find an alternate driver.
                  Well it might be time because they bumped the ETA on the
                  drivers to 9/20/12. Say it aint so.

Comment

• CADman_ks
                    • Jan 2012

Well it might be time because they bumped the ETA on the
                    drivers to 9/20/12. Say it aint so.
                    What in the H-E-DOUBLE HOCKEY STICKS!!!!?!??!?!?!?!?! :M :M :M

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	621
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	857584

I thought that PE said that they WERE going to be here in August???

WTF????

I'm acutally beginning to scared that I'm going to run out of time on these things!!! I have a deadline, but it's still a ways off, but getting closer every day!!!
                    Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 21:06 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
                    CADman_ks
                    - Stentorian build...
                    - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• cjd
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

The only other driver that I know comes in both 4 and 8 ohm variations as well as being budgetish in this size is Silver Flute. SB also fits the bill but wanders from the budget.

Grrr.
                      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• CADman_ks
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by cjd
                        The only other driver that I know comes in both 4 and 8 ohm variations as well as being budgetish in this size is Silver Flute. SB also fits the bill but wanders from the budget.

Grrr.
                        I have crossovers made for these drivers. Something tells me that changing drivers wouldn't be good for my crossovers.
                        CADman_ks
                        - Stentorian build...
                        - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• CADman_ks
                          • Jan 2012

PE response...

I don't know if this guy is for real, or even if he knows what he's talking about, but his title in his post says that he's the VP of marketing:

Due to neodymium supply issues with their current factory, Dayton Audio is in the process of resourcing the entire ND series of drivers to a new facility. To ensure consistent performance and the product quality you’ve come to expect from the Dayton Audio line of drivers, each model has gone through rigorous testing.
                          I’m happy to say that all models have passed the final Klippel testing process with flying colors and are now in mass production at the new factory. These new versions will look and perform as good if not better than the originals. Extra care has been taken to closely match the existing parameters so they will work in all existing designs.
                          We are doing everything in our power to get them back in stock and apologize for the inconvenience.
                          If you have any further questions regarding this matter you can send me a private message.
                          Regards,
                          Karl B. Keyes
                          V.P. of Marketing

He wrote this on 6/13/12. We do business with China companies, and it does NOT take this long to get things across the water. That was 2 months ago that they were supposedly in full production, and now we're looking at ANOTHER month for availability...

:M :M :M

This gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "slow boat from China"...
                          CADman_ks
                          - Stentorian build...
                          - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• Squidspeak
                            • Jun 2012

Slow boat from China

I don't know if this guy is for real, or even if he knows what he's talking about, but his title in his post says that he's the VP of marketing:

Due to neodymium supply issues with their current factory, Dayton Audio is in the process of resourcing the entire ND series of drivers to a new facility. To ensure consistent performance and the product quality you’ve come to expect from the Dayton Audio line of drivers, each model has gone through rigorous testing.
                            I’m happy to say that all models have passed the final Klippel testing process with flying colors and are now in mass production at the new factory. These new versions will look and perform as good if not better than the originals. Extra care has been taken to closely match the existing parameters so they will work in all existing designs.
                            We are doing everything in our power to get them back in stock and apologize for the inconvenience.
                            If you have any further questions regarding this matter you can send me a private message.
                            Regards,
                            Karl B. Keyes
                            V.P. of Marketing

He wrote this on 6/13/12. We do business with China companies, and it does NOT take this long to get things across the water. That was 2 months ago that they were supposedly in full production, and now we're looking at ANOTHER month for availability...

:M :M :M

This gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "slow boat from China"...
                            Very good sense of humor Cadman, Mr. Keyes was responding
                            to my post on the P/E forum titled " Incompetent purchasing dept?" that
                            I posted after another availabilty change.I ordered 2 woofers for a CC
                            Aviatrix build to match the front mains I already made. Anyway back in
                            March I was told they would be available in April and every couple weeks
                            they change it. They had to know back then there was no possible way
                            they would be in stock for months but keep telling me they will. I would
                            gladly have just went in another direction and bought different woofers
                            if they would have been honest about realistc availability. Now I have completed cabs and X-overs and tweeter for 5 months and no woofers.
                            I did PM Mr. Keye's this morning like he suggested I do if I had anymore
                            issues. I will let you know if he responds

Comment

• CADman_ks
                              • Jan 2012

I'm interested in hearing what he has to say....
                              CADman_ks
                              - Stentorian build...
                              - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                • Jan 2012

This is encouraging... NOT!!!

China Tightens Controls On Rare Earths Production

It's not looking good...
                                CADman_ks
                                - Stentorian build...
                                - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• BeerParty
                                  • Oct 2008

The Ochocinco's use the ND140-4, so the ND140-8 for my AviaTrix won't work, right?

I have 6 (lightly used) ND140-8s sitting in boxes in my basement right now. I am seriously considering selling them so people waiting on PE would have drivers.
                                  Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                                  My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by BeerParty
                                    The Ochocinco's use the ND140-4, so the ND140-8 for my AviaTrix won't work, right?
                                    WHEWW!!!!

I saw this post, and I was in absolute FULL-ON PANIC mode!!! I thought for some reason that it was the other way around, and that the Ocho's took the 8 ohm version, because I was pretty sure that's what I ordered!!! :E :E

A quick check, and you're right, the Ocho's do require the 4 ohm version. Upon arriving home tonite, I checked, and thank goodness, I have the 4 ohm version on order!!!

That would have been more insult to injury if I had the wrong thing ordered!! At least, at this point, I could have still called PE, and told them to change my order out to the 4 ohm version, if I had ordered the wrong thing. Thankfully, that phone call is not required... :T
                                    CADman_ks
                                    - Stentorian build...
                                    - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• BeerParty
                                      • Oct 2008

I saw this post, and I was in absolute FULL-ON PANIC mode!!!
                                      Opps, I didn't mean to do that! ops:
                                      Chris

My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• Squidspeak
                                        • Jun 2012

Aviatrix savior

I have 6 (lightly used) ND140-8s sitting in boxes in my basement right now. I am seriously considering selling them so people waiting on PE would have drivers.
                                        Beerparty I sure could use 1pr. of the ND140-8, so please PM me if you
                                        want to part with a pair. I need them for an Aviatrix CC Thanks Squidspeak

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                          • Jan 2012

Opps, I didn't mean to do that! ops:
                                          NO! I'm glad you did! While I was panicked now, image my horror if I had opened that package the day I get them (if I ever do), and I had ordered the wrong thing!!!

That would have been an EEEKKKK moment for sure!!! :E :E
                                          CADman_ks
                                          - Stentorian build...
                                          - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                            • Jan 2012

Beerparty I sure could use 1pr. of the ND140-8, so please PM me if you
                                            want to part with a pair. I need them for an Aviatrix CC Thanks Squidspeak
                                            Yeah, Squidspeak is in a LOT worse way than I am, with a sis-in-law involved.

If you and Beerparty work something out, a word of advice: Don't tell your sis-in-law that they were used, even gently. They're brand spankin' new for all she knows... :twisted:
                                            CADman_ks
                                            - Stentorian build...
                                            - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• BeerParty
                                              • Oct 2008

Beerparty I sure could use 1pr. of the ND140-8, so please PM me if you want to part with a pair.
                                              Squidspeak - PM sent.
                                              Chris

My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                                • Jan 2012

The Phone Books Are Here!!!

THE PHONE BOOKS ARE HERE...

Wait... That has nothing to do with this conversation. Scratch that...

:E Just received word that my order has SHIPPED from PE, WITH my drivers!! :E

(probably won't be overnite, though)

WOOHOO!!! :T
                                                CADman_ks
                                                - Stentorian build...
                                                - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• ---k---
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Nov 2005

Yeah. :clap:

We're still talking about the ND140, right? :rofl:
                                                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ---k---
                                                    We're still talking about the ND140, right? :rofl:
                                                    Yeah, that one. :roll: :roll:

On a positive note, PE did come thru and include all of the extra parts that I needed to convert my crossovers.

Running out of the ND-140's wasn't PE's fault, and they do rock as a company...
                                                    CADman_ks
                                                    - Stentorian build...
                                                    - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• joeybutts
                                                      • Sep 2009

Can't wait to see some finished product!! Great looking project.

Comment

• cjd
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Dec 2004

Soooo... how do they sound?!

Do you need the original or the updated crossover?

What? You're not DONE yet?

Comment

• Squidspeak
                                                          • Jun 2012

Slow boat from china

THE PHONE BOOKS ARE HERE...

Wait... That has nothing to do with this conversation. Scratch that...

:E Just received word that my order has SHIPPED from PE, WITH my drivers!! :E

(probably won't be overnite, though)

WOOHOO!!! :T
                                                          When I read your 4 ohmers were in stock I called and was told they
                                                          had 2, 8ohm versions and they belonged to me, thank the god of speaker
                                                          building (who is that anyway?) Decibelus?, Excursionus, Xmaxus, or the
                                                          hated Distortionus they are on their way!

Comment

• cjd
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Dec 2004

That later ship date may just be for the next round of drivers! In other words, they arrived as planned but had already sold out!

Good to hear they're shipping. Hopefully they're to spec and we'll see no more unexpected changes.

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by cjd

What? You're not DONE yet?
                                                              LOL!!!
                                                              CADman_ks
                                                              - Stentorian build...
                                                              - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                                                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                Good to hear they're shipping. Hopefully they're to spec and we'll see no more unexpected changes.
                                                                That's my biggest feat at this point. Not having any measuring equipment, I'm at the mercy of how they sound. If they sound good, I'll have to guess that they are in spec. If they don't sound good (how would I know, though), I'm screwed when it comes to changing them...

Fingers crossed....
                                                                CADman_ks
                                                                - Stentorian build...
                                                                - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                                                  • Jan 2012

I have drivers in my POSSESSION!! WOOHOO!!

Now, I don't have any time to work on the things! I'm taking my daughter to college this weekend!

Oh life, you cruel bastard...
                                                                  CADman_ks
                                                                  - Stentorian build...
                                                                  - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Nov 2005

Are they making sounds yet?
                                                                    - Ryan

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jan 2012

Are they making sounds yet?
                                                                      No, unfortunately. Gotten busy with other things and haven't had a chance to work on them lately.

I also don't mind letting the lacquer dry longer and get harder before I work on them some more...
                                                                      CADman_ks
                                                                      - Stentorian build...
                                                                      - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2012

Finally making progress again on the speakers! I've let them go to long without working on them..

I painted the "accent" pieces today, and I realized that didn't go as well as I had thought or planned.

I did NOT do enough prep work on the areas of the MDF where I machined it off. In those areas, the paint, or whatever you're putting on it are like a sponge, and just soaks up whatever it is that you put on it. Unfortunately, that means that you end up with a different "look" in that area than you do on the rest of it. Another thing thing that I did NOT spend enough time on was the joints. I did put filler in there, and I thought that the "texturing" would cover them up, but unfortunately it didn't. I'm not really for sure why my joints aren't better, because I had them looking pretty good, or so I thought, before I started texturing.

The texturing, while it doesn't really look all that bad, does NOT hide sins like I thought that it would. I thought that it would do a better job of hiding things.

Here's a picture of one of the top corners. You can see the joint for one thing, and you can also see that the texturing on the round is not the same as the top surface which would not have been machined. At this point, I don't know that I have a choice to just go with it. I'm toying with painting that whole thing flat black over the texture, but I don't think that's even going to bring it all together and make it look the same. Oh well, live and learn...

Name:	2012-11-02_17-01-25_133.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	857701
                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 21:06 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                        CADman_ks
                                                                        - Stentorian build...
                                                                        - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• cjd
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2004
                                                                          • 5568

Sand it smooth, do a finish-fill pass (I forget the correct way to describe it, but I recall there being a green filler used over bondo to get things super perfectly smooth when I used to watch the car designers work on their models...) and repaint.

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2012
                                                                            • 497

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                            Sand it smooth, do a finish-fill pass (I forget the correct way to describe it, but I recall there being a green filler used over bondo to get things super perfectly smooth when I used to watch the car designers work on their models...) and repaint.
                                                                            Dang, I don't know if I could sand this stuff off. It's truck bed texture!, so it should be pretty rigid. The other thing in play here is that I already have the lacquering part of the cabinets done, so I can't get super aggressive with that either.

At the end of the day, this is probably one of them things that only I and the speaker jocks would ever notice. I surveyed some dentists, and 4 out 5 said that couldn't see anything. They recommended I use it the way that it is.
                                                                            CADman_ks
                                                                            - Stentorian build...
                                                                            - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jan 2012
                                                                              • 497

Paint bleed!! ARGH...

I did the paint / texture in the shop today, and it was nice and warm here.

I decided that I should probably remove the tape and paper that I had on there, so that it didn't do something to my lacquer.

I went out to the shop this evening, and to my horror, the paint bled under the tape, and now I have that texture paint on TOP of my finished lacquer.

At this point, I don't know what I'm going to do, except go to bed and not worry about it at the moment. I do have a little bit of lacquer left, but I really do NOT want to set the gun up just to spray this little amount, but it looks like that might be my only option. I'll think about it...

Here's a picture of some of the bleed. Everyone of the speakers bled somewhere:

Name:	PA290252_opt.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	857702

Here's a long shot of what they look like far away, and they look good far away, it's just that up close that kills ya: (you can see more bleed down the left side of the accent piece)

Name:	PA290255_opt.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	857703

I guess in the end, the one thing that I've learned is that making something with two different finish types on it sure sounds easy on the surface, but it's not as easy as it looks. I thought that I did a meticulous job taping these off and making sure that they were tight. I guess that I didn't do a good enough job there. The other thing that I did plan on was how runny this texture paint was. Since it was "texture" paint, I certainly expected it to be have more body, almost latex like, but obviously it doesn't. I guess that it has to be thin enough to be able to sprayed out of can...
                                                                              Last edited by theSven; 09 March 2023, 21:07 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                              CADman_ks
                                                                              - Stentorian build...
                                                                              - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• cjd
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Dec 2004
                                                                                • 5568

I thought you had those separate from the boxes still!

You may be able to clean up the bleed with a sharp razor - use it as a scraper. A very quick follow-up wipe with lacquer if not a just a quick buff.

Another option might be a fine bead of black caulk (or similar) all around - it will radius that curve, sure. And it will be a little different than you'd planned. But I think it will look "right" and would cover up the bleed.

Even a perfectly sealed tape seam needs a very light pass with any spray, and let it dry, to completely seal it off.

They still look amazing, so... don't fret too much.

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jan 2012
                                                                                  • 497

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                                  I thought you had those separate from the boxes still!

...
                                                                                  I chose NOT to do it that way because I wasn't for sure how I was going to make sure that they were "part" of the speaker. At the end of the day, that is' probably something that I could have dealt with, and I think knowing what I know now, I would probably do it that way in the future.

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                                  ...

You may be able to clean up the bleed with a sharp razor - use it as a scraper. A very quick follow-up wipe with lacquer if not a just a quick buff.

...
                                                                                  I've tried this a little bit, and this is what I think that I'm going to do, and then reapply lacquer, or try to buff it out like you said.

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                                  ...

Another option might be a fine bead of black caulk (or similar) all around - it will radius that curve, sure. And it will be a little different than you'd planned. But I think it will look "right" and would cover up the bleed.

...
                                                                                  Hummm... This really isn't that bad of an idea, and I might fall back on that one if for some reason the other doesn't work.

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                                  ...

They still look amazing, so... don't fret too much.
                                                                                  THANKS for the words of encouragement and advice. All very very much appreciated!!!
                                                                                  CADman_ks
                                                                                  - Stentorian build...
                                                                                  - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• David G
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jan 2005
                                                                                    • 170

Did you use painters tape or regular masking tape?

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Nov 2005
                                                                                      • 5202

Ouch. That sucks. We've all been there and feel your pain.

I can guarantee that the best way to make yourself feel better is to get them playing some music and sit back and enjoy them. All your headaches, pains and problems will fade away when you get to that point. :T
                                                                                      - Ryan

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jan 2012
                                                                                        • 497

Originally posted by David G
                                                                                        Did you use painters tape or regular masking tape?
                                                                                        I not only used painters tape, BUT I used 3M painters tape.

My wife asked me why I didn't use "frog" tape, but I don't know if that would have worked in this situation, since it basically reacts with water.

The texturing that I put on there was NOT water based in the slightest!!!
                                                                                        CADman_ks
                                                                                        - Stentorian build...
                                                                                        - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jan 2012
                                                                                          • 497

....

I can guarantee that the best way to make yourself feel better is to get them playing some music and sit back and enjoy them. All your headaches, pains and problems will fade away when you get to that point. :T
                                                                                          -- OR --

Grab yourself a nice tall cold one and just chill! 8)
                                                                                          CADman_ks
                                                                                          - Stentorian build...
                                                                                          - Ochocinco build...

Comment

• CADman_ks
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jan 2012
                                                                                            • 497

Success!!!

Originally posted by cjd
                                                                                            ...

...
                                                                                            Grabbed a nice new sharp razor blade tonite, and I WAS able to scrape off a majority of the bleed thru.

I read online about buffing lacquer, which is something that I've never done before. Sprayed a LOT of lacquer, but it was always on trim, and there's no real reason to buff that unless you're just into that kind of a thing.

The online "wisdom" was to "buff" them with 0000 steel wool, and then use wax on them. I tried this on one of the bottom BEFORE I did the whole cab. I figured that way, if it just totally went south on me, I only had a ruined bottom at that point.

After buffing with the 0000 wool, they did look not-shiny anymore. I quick coat of Minwax Wax, and they looked even worse. Let the past dry, and wiped it down, and it was AMAZING! Nice and shiny, and really really smooth now.

I did the rest of the cabs and the affected areas with the above treatment, and I can honestly say that I am pretty much happy with the results.

The finish isn't perfect, and I wouldn't win any contests with it, but I'm still happy since this is my first speaker finished this way. My girls aren't going to know ANY of the difficulties that I went thru to get to this point, and I don't think that there's anyway that they would ever spot the flaws, but, like always, I'll know that they are there.

I've learned a lot along the way if I were to ever do this again, and that's invaluable stuff...

cjd - thanks for the inspiration!!!

PS: My hand and arm hurt from buffing!!! :P
                                                                                            CADman_ks
                                                                                            - Stentorian build...
                                                                                            - Ochocinco build...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"