X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BOBinGA
    • Mar 2009

The ECM-8000 is now the EMM-6 and comes calibrated

New Parts Express item:

You can't beat it. $48 and it comes with an individual calibration curve.

That just saved me $30 since I was just about to pull the trigger on the old one.

-Bob
    -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
    My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
    The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated
  • Txgrizzly
    • Jun 2009

so what else would i need to run this to a software program running on my computer? is there an intermediate piece of gear i would need to make it work with REW?

Comment

• BOBinGA
      • Mar 2009

You need a mic cable, stand and a source for phantom power. The most widely used phantom power for our purposes is the Behringer XENYX 802 Mixer:

You willl also need some adapters and cables to get from the mixer to the sound card in your computer.

Oh, and some software. I'll probably start with something simple. I think I saw a free one in a recent thread. I think it was SimpleRTA, or something like that. TrueRTA is also cheap.

-Bob
      -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system

Comment

• Face
        • Mar 2007

You could also use one of these: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ELAID=26020141
        SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Biermann
          • Aug 2009

How is the calibration response graph utilized, do you enter some values into the software. Can you DIY calibrate the old model, I have the original Behringer on order, but could return it and get this new 'Dayton' model if it would be easier.

Face,

How does that Edirol compare to the M-Audio Pre?

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Awesome, glad to see a pre calibrated mic.

Comment

• Biermann
              • Aug 2009

Changed in respone to a change

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

I have an M-Auidio Firewire 410 which has phantom power and everything. The Mobile Pre USB does this as well. There is also the Firewire Solo. Lots of the M-audio products have phantom power built in.

Comment

• BOBinGA
                  • Mar 2009

Biermann,
                  I have a copy of REW but have never used it. The Mic calibration is under Settings > Mic/Meter tab. It looks lke you have to enter your own calibration file. You can make a simple one by creating a two column text file with frequency in the first column and +/- db from flat in the second column. You get the +/- numbers from the calibration file with the mic. The frequency numbers should follow standard one third or one sixth octave center frequencies. You don't need any column labels. Save the file and load it from the settings menu in REW.

-Bob
                  -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system

Comment

• Biermann
                    • Aug 2009

Thanks Bob,

It looks like I'll have to do some digging and find out whether the old Mic can be DIY cal'd.

Anyone using TrueRTA that can comment regarding calibration in that software, I was debating buying a license once I get my gear and have a chance to play around with it.

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

You can send it to someone and get it calibrated. Generally you need a reference mic to calibrate against.

Comment

• Dennis H
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2002

Cool! If all they give you is a paper graph of the calibration, you can scan it and use SPL Tracer to build the cal file.

Comment

• Jed
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Apr 2005

It would be a nice touch if the calibration was a file and not a printed graph. I wonder if every mic is measured or they just give a generic "universal" response graph. The description does say "unique" graph, but I'd like to know for sure.

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

"Each mic comes with it's own unique response graph"

They probably run them automatically so it's printed and packaged at the end of the assembly line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EMM6.jpg
Views:	6597
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	853593
                            Last edited by theSven; 01 August 2023, 16:20 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Biermann
                              • Aug 2009

Well, my Beringer showed up today along with the M-Audio Mobile Pre, and ?I am debating whether to return the mic and buy the Dayton. I called PE and the tech said the graph was of each microphone's response when tested against a reference, and though he did not have there to look at, said the graph should be of the size/quality to gather usable data for use in software.

So my question is how critical is having the calibration ability when testing my rooms and speakers? Is the variance very large on the original Behringer 8000's? I am so tempted to unbox it and start testing.

^Edit: Well Thomas beat me to it. Nice, you even got a copy of the graph.^

Comment

• Jed
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Biermann
                                Well, my Beringer showed up today along with the M-Audio Mobile Pre, and ?I am debating whether to return the mic and buy the Dayton. I called PE and the tech said the graph was of each microphone's response when tested against a reference, and though he did not have there to look at, said the graph should be of the size/quality to gather usable data for use in software.

So my question is how critical is having the calibration ability when testing my rooms and speakers? Is the variance very large on the original Behringer 8000's? I am so tempted to unbox it and start testing.

^Edit: Well Thomas beat me to it. Nice, you even got a copy of the graph.^
                                I'd get the Dayton mic then. Might as well save 50 bucks and trace the graph yourself, like Dennis mentioned.

Having a calibrated mic is very important. Mics can vary in their response greatly.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2006

Yeah generally getting a mic calibrated costs 50 bucks, so 48 for the Dayton is a steal.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Aug 2002

Note the date on the cal graph Thomas posted. If that was done in 2000, that was back when the mics were a lot flatter than they are now. I'm assuming PE is OEMing them from Taiwan/China-based Superlux, just like Behringer and Nady.

Edit: one thing about a 3rd-party calibration is you can get it done below 25 Hz and above 20 kHz. But that's no big deal for the average guy that just wants an idea of what his room is doing.

Comment

• Biermann
                                      • Aug 2009

Thanks for the answer's guys, I ordered the Behringer from Amazon so the return won't be a hassle.

Dennis, I was going to say that calibration report looked pretty darn good compared to the REW .cal file for the ECM-8000 I was just looking at. Sad to see the precision decrease as tech has improved.

Comment

• Jed
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Apr 2005

Let us know the date of the measured calibration graph when you get it. If it says year 2000, I would think the accuracy might be in question.

Comment

• CupCak3
                                          • Oct 2007

I ordered one today. It'll probably be here Thursday. I'll post back with info!

Comment

• ergo
                                            • Mar 2005

For a measurement microphone would of course be nice if they provided the calibration graph with useful scaling - this 80dB range graph does not really allow extracting data with 1dB precision or so that would allow to make a decent cal file out of that graph.

But seems marketing side wants the graph to look flat - so they defenetly achieve that.

Comment

• benchtester
                                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by ergo
                                              For a measurement microphone would of course be nice if they provided the calibration graph with useful scaling - this 80dB range graph does not really allow extracting data with 1dB precision or so that would allow to make a decent cal file out of that graph.

But seems marketing side wants the graph to look flat - so they defenetly achieve that.
                                              Same chart, less flat:

Click image for larger version  Name:	mic chart.jpg Views:	6032 Size:	22.4 KB ID:	853596

With some work a FRD file can be created with SPLTrace:

Here is a Chad Grey tutorial on creating a calibration file in Soundeasy from the FRD file:
                                              http://chadgray.info/soundeasywiki/index.cfm/Tutorials#Creating%20the%20microphone%20calibratio n%20file
                                              Last edited by theSven; 01 August 2023, 16:26 Tuesday. Reason: Update text

Comment

• CllessuR
                                                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by BOBinGA
                                                New Parts Express item:

You can't beat it. $48 and it comes with an individual calibration curve.

That just saved me $30 since I was just about to pull the trigger on the old one.

-Bob
                                                Cool, I just ordered it and thought it was the old one! Thanks for the headsup. I'll be watching for recommended acessory equipment, phantom power, etc. Plan on using True RTA.

Cllessur

Comment

• CllessuR
                                                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Jed
                                                  Let us know the date of the measured calibration graph when you get it. If it says year 2000, I would think the accuracy might be in question.
                                                  I just ordered one too, from PE. what's the reason the ones from 2000 might be questionable as to calibration?

Cllessur

Comment

• CllessuR
                                                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by benchtester

Same chart, less flat:

Click image for larger version Name:	mic chart.jpg Views:	6032 Size:	22.4 KB ID:	853596

With some work a FRD file can be created with SPLTrace:

Here is a Chad Grey tutorial on creating a calibration file in Soundeasy from the FRD file:
                                                    http://chadgray.info/soundeasywiki/index.cfm/Tutorials#Creating%20the%20microphone%20calibratio n%20file
                                                    ​
                                                    Well that sucks, can you dumb it down enough where I can get mine calibrated when it arrives? This process may be well worth making a sticky out of.

Thanks, CllessuR
                                                    Last edited by theSven; 01 August 2023, 16:27 Tuesday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by CllessuR
                                                      I just ordered one too, from PE. what's the reason the ones from 2000 might be questionable as to calibration?

Cllessur
                                                      Because, if the graph says it was made in 2000, it could not possibly be an accurate representation of your particular mic from current production, could it? Unless they are selling NOS. :W

Kal
                                                      Kal Rubinson
                                                      _______________________________
                                                      "Music in the Round"
                                                      Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
                                                      http://forum.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Comment

• ---k---
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Nov 2005

Well, the graph Thomas posted does have the product ID as a EMM-6, which is a new product ID. So, my pure speculative guess is that tests are more recent than 2000 and someone didn't set the date in the testing computer. I guess the worrying is for nothing.

Thomas,
                                                        Where did that graph come from?
                                                        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Jed
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by CllessuR

Cllessur
                                                          It's 2009. And if this is a new product I'd expect calibration to be performed at least within the same year. Also, if the file looks exactly the same as the one posted on the website, I'd question whether or not it is a unique file to that specific mic.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by ---k---
                                                            Thomas,
                                                            Where did that graph come from?
                                                            The pdf on PE's webs

FWIW, the date on the pdf is 08.06.00

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Saurav
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Dec 2004

LOL. Now we need to know which part of the world that date came from. It could be 0th August 2006 for all we know

Comment

• Zilch
                                                                • Aug 2009

Start givin' them pressure on the PE Tech Forum to provide a data file with each unit. That low-res graph is all but useless.... :toilet:

Comment

• Dennis H
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Aug 2002

I think that's just a low-rez scan of the paper graph. Do a 300 or 600 dpi scan of the graph, crop it to a bit more than +/- 10dB and you've got plenty of pixels to work with. SPL Tracer resizes whatever pic you paste in to full screen both horizontally and vertically.

Comment

• CupCak3
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2007

I got my stuff today... great turnaround by PE and the carrier...

Box...

Name:	Picture%20003.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	946641

Comes with a decent black case...

Name:	Picture%20004.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	946642

Inside is mic, foam tip and a mic stand clip...

Name:	Picture%20005.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	946643

My plot...

Name:	Picture%20006.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	946644

The date... (I'm assuming someone didn't set the time on their workstation)

Name:	Picture%20007.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	946645
                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 01 August 2023, 16:28 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Yeah I wonder if that's what happened. Someone just didn't adjust the time/date on the machine. Surely these mics aren't even 9 years old.

Comment

• JonP
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Apr 2006

Hmmm... wouldn't make sense for that to be 2008...

It would be nice if the blew the FR scale up so you could actually see it, but I understand the marketing dept pressures on emphasizing "flat" rather than "ragged" looking graphs.

Suggestion for marketing department... print 20dB/division response graph that looks like a flat line, AND give customer a nice text file with the response data at a usable resolution... :T

Comment

• ---k---
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2005
                                                                          • 5202

Even though the scale is pretty big, that is impressively flat.

But, at least that graph is different from the previous posted graph. Further confirmation that it is for that individual mic. Is there a serial number or anything that would match up to the 00011? The one Thomas posted looks like 00096.
                                                                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• CupCak3
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Oct 2007
                                                                            • 127

I did not see anything on my mic (serial number or otherwise) which would identify it as unique or match it to the graph.

I'll gladly send my mic to someone for testing to verify the included graph does truly belong with the mic if any able person is interested.

Comment

• Biermann
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Aug 2009
                                                                              • 51

#39
                                                                              Thanks for posting the graph, the time stamp is also different so it looks like they got from #11 to #96 in a span of 40 minutes. I guess we shall know soon enough once mine and a few others' show up and we have a chance to compare graphs. The response graph looks pretty darn good compared to the Behringer, so hears to hoping these are the real deal.

Comment

• CllessuR
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Aug 2009
                                                                                • 36

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                                                                                Because, if the graph says it was made in 2000, it could not possibly be an accurate representation of your particular mic from current production, could it? Unless they are selling NOS. :W

Kal
                                                                                OH. I see, I thought each was "individually" calibrated, so I guess a calibration may be in order. Who do people send these things to for calibration?

Cllessur

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Aug 2000
                                                                                  • 10931

#41
                                                                                  Kim Girardin
                                                                                  E-mail: kmgrdn@luminet.net

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• benchtester
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2007
                                                                                    • 213

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Biermann
                                                                                    Thanks for posting the graph, the time stamp is also different so it looks like they got from #11 to #96 in a span of 40 minutes. I guess we shall know soon enough once mine and a few others' show up and we have a chance to compare graphs. The response graph looks pretty darn good compared to the Behringer, so hears to hoping these are the real deal.
                                                                                    I, too, hope they are the real deal. A 28 second cycle time for testing sounds about right to me. (I've been working in a pump manufacturing facility with 100% test. We spend a few minutes testing but our pumps are 5 to 10 times the price of the mic.) Apparently they have a faster printer than mine.

I am a little concerned that there isn't a serial number. But at that price range I can understand that too. I just hope the charts and mics don't get separated. :E

Comment

• chasw98
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 1360

#43
                                                                                      Just for reference in case you haven't seen one before. Here is my Kim Girardin cal file for my ECM. If you look through Jonw's thread on the Spassvogel, you can see his cal file for his mic and it is much different than mine.

Name:	ecm8k-3-cw.webp
Views:	120
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	946646
                                                                                      Last edited by theSven; 01 August 2023, 16:29 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Mazeroth
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Nov 2004
                                                                                        • 422

#44
                                                                                        Here's my Kim G calibrated ECM8000. This microphone was purchased new from PE almost a year ago to the day:

Image not available
                                                                                        Last edited by theSven; 01 August 2023, 16:30 Tuesday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                                          • 16073

#45
                                                                                          Well if someone wants to try and test one of these it would be interesting to know how accurate the PE calibration is.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"