Stock sound good enough for speaker design?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

Stock sound good enough for speaker design?

This just in: the stock sound chip on my Thinkpad T60 is starting to make me think that it might have what it takes to design speakers. I loaded Arta, and these are the promising points I found:

-Flat response between 100 hz and 10 khz
    -THD of 0.015% in this range
    -THD+noise of 0.15%
    -3db down at 40 hz and 20khz

I have a Behringer ECM8000 and a small Behringer mixer with phantom power. Am I missing anything, or am I really about ready to start doing some measurements?

I understand that the noise floor is nothing to write home about- but if I understand correctly, it should be sufficient for identifying and avoiding any distortion components higher than -40 db. It won't tell me if the Accuton or the Scan Speak is superior- but I can't afford either of those so it's a moot point.

I just thought that this might be an interesting thread for everyone out there who's following the forum and thinking, "Wow, I wonder what MY speakers are doing?", but aren't really willing to make a big budget project out of getting some measurements.

So, do I have it right? Once I apply some calibration curve will this chip be able to give me a reasonably useful measurement?
    -Joe Carrow
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Perform the standard loop-back test, save that as your soundcard file and you're good to go.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• spasticteapot
      • Mar 2007

From what I have seen, thinkpads have crummy internal audio. Otherwise, good laptops.

Comment

• joecarrow
        • Apr 2005

For what it's worth, my 2000 era T20 has audibly worse audio than my 2006 thinkpad T60.

Thomas, that's great to hear. I'll try to bring a little more measurement to the table in the future.
        -Joe Carrow

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"