Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Self destructing DVD's

Self-destructing DVDs to help market new film
    Published: October 19, 2004, 10:32 AM PDT
    By Reuters

LOS ANGELES--A little-known Atlanta company hopes to change Hollywood's thinking about movie distribution with a novel marketing plan that includes using relatively new disposable DVDs, the company said on Monday.

At the center of the Convex Group's plan is a low budget Christmas movie called "Noel," directed by Chazz Palminteri, that will debut in up to 10 U.S. cities on Nov. 12. On the same day, the disposable DVD can be bought for $4.99 through online retailer Amazon.com.

A little over two weeks later, the movie will air once on cable television network TNT, which Convex hopes will only spur greater ticket sales and higher revenues from the DVDs, which become unplayable 48 hours after their air-tight package is opened.

The idea represents a major change to the normal release schedule for a film, which generally calls for a debut in theaters followed about six months later by the home video or DVD and more months, perhaps even years, before it hits TV.

The reason for the long release schedule is to earn maximum profits in each market, and conventional wisdom is that rushing a movie into any one arena cannibalizes sales in the others.

Convex founder Jeffrey Arnold believes otherwise. "All these efforts are going to make the (revenue) pie bigger, and we are not going to cannibalize," he said.

Disposable DVDs are not new. A company called Flexplay, which Convex bought in September, has been making them for the Walt Disney Co., and Disney has test marketed them with some success in a limited number of cities for about a year.

Arnold believes disposable DVDs will broaden availability for a movie so that fans who may want to see a film when it is popular but can't get to a theater, could buy the Convex DVD.

The idea could be especially relevant for low-budget movies like "Noel" that open in only a few cities yet compete against national releases of major movies backed by multimillion-dollar advertising campaigns. Fans who are aware of the movie but can't find it in their city can turn to the DVD.

"It is hard to get big marketing dollars during the holidays. You have to do something to break through the clutter," Archer said.

Likewise, showing the movie once on a television station with its advertising campaign also helps raise public awareness of the film. Those people who can't find time to watch it, can go to theaters or buy the Convex DVD, Archer said.

Finally, because they are unplayable after 48 hours, the disposable DVDs would not compete with the normal DVDs.

Story Copyright © 2004 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Finally, because they are unplayable after 48 hours, the disposable DVDs would not compete with the normal DVDs.
    They might if there's no copy protection on the disposable ones.

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

There probably is copy protection. Not that it makes any difference, as it's pretty trivial to rip any DVD, copy protected or not.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Yup, pretty dumb if you can just copy it on your computer anyway.... When are these goofballs going to learn? Price DVD's at $5-10 (which they easily could) and generally people wouldn't bother copying them, it wouldn't be any cheaper....

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

Attention Circuit City! Alert your attorneys -- someone else is adopting your DIVX business model. :>)

For many reasons, including the ones discussed already, this latest "Destructo-DVD" venture just doesn't make much sense.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Brandon B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2001

See, I am curious about the negative reaction I am seeing to this (and not because it comes from my employer's parent) here and on other forums.

With this, instead of going to the public theater (nearly universally maligned by we HT owners), you can buy a copy of a movie on its theatrical premier date and watch it once or twice at home for $5. You and your whole family. In your own HTs, which I am pretty sure I have seen at least 3 threads containing declarations by most of the prominent members here that they prefer to watch movies in, and wish they didn't have to wait for the DVD release.

Other than the environmental negative to it, what is it about this scheme you don't like? And as to the landfill issue, three 20 oz paper cups and a big popcorn tub from the theater take up more room in the landfill than the DVD. But anyway, leaving that aspect of the plan aside:

Yes, people can rip these. But they aren't going to have a case and extras like the eventual normal DVD release. If there were any inkling these were intended to displace normal DVDs in the market, I would be among the first to say, boycott 'em, unacceptable. I don't think that is the intent though. I think this is a means to bolster the box-office end of things without really affecting the normal DVD release. Hope I am not wrong.

As to ripping them, what percentage of people do you think will bother to rip these instead of buying them for the $5? The ability to rip existing DVDs also exists, and at 3-4X the price for those, they are selling quite well it seems. So why are people going to rip something at 1/4 the price? I think (and hope) this is a sign the industry realizes that they can reduce piracy to the level of people who would likely not buy the product anyway, while making a product with the convenience and price that your average consumer thinks is reasonable enough to go for.

So is it JUST me, or does anyone else here LIKE this idea?

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

Oh, I should mention I think doing it through amazon is lame, though. It ought to be at the checkout counter at the grocery store. All the shipping and associated resources to do it through amazon are pushing it IMO. Plus that's 2-3 days to wait.

BB

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Actually Brandon I can see a market for them and if it means I can get movies sooner then for me with my family I'd buy a lot of them. Its way cheaper then taking my wife out and getting a babysitter for the night...plus my HT is nicer anyway without the cell phones and over priced drinks.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

Brandon B -

You raise some interesting points about convenience of home viewing and attractive price on the side of the disposable discs. (Good call, by the way, on the absurdity of using Amazon to sell what is basically a low dollar value impulse item). But in the long run, the following issues weigh against it for me:

1) Environmental issues -- seems to me we should try to address the existing problems via reduced consumption and / or recycling, not add to them with this scheme. (At the commercial theaters I don't eat popcorn or buy the outrageously priced drinks, so I am not contributing to the landfill overflow in that regard) :>) I'd rather subscribe to "pay per view" on cable than buy a self-destructing disc. But it it unlikely that I'll do that anytime soon, either. I want my DVD. :>)

2) "watch it once or twice at home for $5" -- if I buy a movie on disc I want to be able to watch it as many times as I want, whenever I want. Five dollars is not cheap enough for me to give up that convenience. Also, there are times I get started on a movie and then something else comes up and I don't get back to it for a couple of days. With this proposed product, the disc would not be useable at that time and I'd have a choice of going to the commercial theater to see it or buying the disc again, at which point I've reached the price of many current DVDs. Might as well do one of those up front.

3) building a movie collection -- kind of goes along with #2. I have never rented a DVD; always purchased. I want a playable disc on my shelf for when the mood hits me to watch that particular movie, or selected scenes from it. I'd rather wait for a "real" DVD than pay a third or half the price for what amounts to a one-time rental disc that is not reusable by me or anyone else.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• brendon
                    • Aug 2004

Hi,This would be a great idea for people in remote areas who lack easy access to a video rental store as they can be shipped cheaply and there is no worries about returning it.Also how many times have you rented a new release movie and returned it without watching it because you could not get the time to watch it ?In this case dont open packet till ready to watch.
                    I had heard I few months back when these were first announced that one application would be to have an in store DVD burner and have each one burnt
                    as required ,No more sorry they are all out tonight.
                    Brendon

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

Burke -

On 2&3, this is not intended to replace a normal DVD purchase. It is intended to replace a trip to the theater. If you want a permanent disk, you would wait for the regular DVD release just as you do now.

On the environmental side, I actually do have a problem with this aspect of the planned system. You may not buy drinks, but most people do (and I actually have some sympathy for theater chains in this situation - studios take almost all the box office gross for the first couple weeks of a film's run. Concessions are their only source of profit on the majorit of films), so I don't think it's much of a negative, but still, I agree we should be looking for ways to reverse the disposable lifestyle trend, not rationalizing creep in the other direction.

I don't really like the VOD option either though, so I have to give some thought to what would address both my preferences and my conscience.

BB

Comment

• Brandon B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jun 2001

Well, RIP EZ-DVD:

Get in-depth coverage of current and future trends in technology, and how they are shaping business, entertainment, communications, science, politics, and culture at Wired.com.

BB

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Bye bye. arty:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by David Meek
                            Bye bye. arty:
                            I agree. It's death is a good thing :yesnod:
                            Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Looks like another marketing genius is looking for work. :lol:
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

If you want your DVDs to self destruct, just loan them to your kids for a while, lol.

But seriously, the DIVX model did involved hardware that knew to only play a DVD for so long by writing to it times, then checking those times, or such, where as this is "chemestry" based. Same concept, but the whole world is disposable, so it's not like you could get them on that.

I think this has some market potential still, but not at 7-8 bucks. I see it as a 4.99 max deal only. Convenience checkout locations, so you will only be able to offer a select few "hot" titles. You will also have to compensate the retailer well, to get that impulse space. They will have to have a quick supply chain, and roll off excess stock of 2 week old movies to alternate retailers, at 1.99 example.

So, it's only current box office titles, and when the movie goes to DVD, the left over copies go to close out.

Lex
                                Doug
                                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Brandon B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jun 2001

The last attempt had it at $5, released through Amazon.com, and released within days of the theatrical release of the film. Still didn't do well.

I think your point of convenience was key there. Amazon isn't a big deal to order from, but it ain't the shelf of the grocery store checkout either.

BB

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

Yeah, I just can't see going to Amazon for this. I think you gotta have it instantly.

This is a grocery/convenience item for sure. You got to have the correct market conditions for any product to sell.

Lex
                                    Doug
                                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Yes, rest... not in peace.
                                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                      - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"