Sorta-OT, but it affects a lot of users in forums... Photobucket has new terms of use

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wolf_teeth
    • Feb 2011

Sorta-OT, but it affects a lot of users in forums... Photobucket has new terms of use

For those of you whom have used Photobucket Free and Legacy accounts, they updated their terms of use on 7/6/17. '3rd party Hosting' or usage of embedded photos on other websites linked back to Photobucket via img file direct links will no longer be allowed with these 2 account formats.

Plus Account subscribers in good standings as of 6/1/17 will be allowed the 3rd party usage until 12/31/18. So, you get another year and a half before it affects you.

So- if you do not purchase at minimum the new 'Plus 500' account status to keep your current usage abilities, you will be limited to either direct links on the Plus100 account or virtually NO USE except truncated album links for anything below that. http://photobucket.com/pricing (If the link is inappropriate, I can remove it.)

Later,
    Wolf
  • Face
    • Mar 2007

Check out Imgur, it works fine and is free.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Jim Holtz
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

I've been using Flicker (free) for the last few years and its worked well with lots of storage space and the ability to store and download full size images. However, with changes at Yahoo, who knows what will happen in the future. There are many image hosting services for under $50 a year so there are other pay options too.

I've used Google in the past but it was to restrictive for my needs.

Jim

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I have always had a Photobucket Pro account, but didn't like how hosted images look (too down-rezzed)Still have it, to maintain images on posts.

Added a paid Flickr account, and like that a lot, as it's easy to control the displayed resolution and the have better visual quality for those of us using retina type displays.

The old stuff is all on a hosting service I still use, Virtual Avenue.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TEK
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Hmm...
          That explains all of the images in old posts that is no longer available.
          From my perspective I would have liked everyone to just upload images to the forum when posting instead of using links to other sites.
          That way the forum posts would be imutable and not affected by external changes like moving sites, changing usage conditions, sites going out of business, internal reorginization, accounts beeing deactivated and so on and so on...

The best would probably be if the forum software could create a local copy automatic when a picture is included in a post.
          -TEK

Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working...

Comment

• Norm
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by TEK
            Hmm...
            From my perspective I would have liked everyone to just upload images to the forum when posting instead of using links to other sites.
            What?!?? Pardon my uselessness but I was unaware HTGuide supported image upload. TEK's comment led me to RIFM (or FAQs in this case):

I missed this because as a lurker and then new member I observed it seemed all the power users using personal photos hosted them off forum.
            Last edited by theSven; 31 March 2023, 16:32 Friday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• CraigJ
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Norm
              What?!?? Pardon my uselessness but I was unaware HTGuide supported image upload. TEK's comment led me to RIFM (or FAQs in this case):

I missed this because as a lurker and then new member I observed it seemed all the power users using personal photos hosted them off forum.
              Hi Norm,

Yes, you can add images through "manage attachments" in the additional options below on your screen. Unfortunately, the attachments have to be very small in KB, which is a pain to resize and a no go for most of us. Tek is correct, but this is all after the fact as Photobucket has let a lot of us down.
              Last edited by theSven; 31 March 2023, 16:32 Friday. Reason: Update htguide url

Comment

• PMazz
                • May 2001

I found an easy way for Windows users to resize their pics so they can upload them to the forum. First download a little utility called Image Resizer. After it installs, open the folder where your pics are stored, highlight as many as you want, right click and select "Resize Pictures" in the pop up box. You should see this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageResizer.png
Views:	1
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	863211

Choose the Medium setting. You can set it to replace the originals or keep them and create new ones, labeled with (Medium) after the original filename.
                Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Kevin P
                  • Aug 2000

You can upload photos here, just click the Go Advanced button if you're in quick reply, then click the Attachments icon.

The size (in MB as well as pixel dimensions) is limited, to conserve server space and bandwidth, but the forum will automatically downsize images to meet the requirements. You don't have to do it yourself, though if you're uploading 5 MB files, they'll take a bit of time to process.

Comment

• theSven
                    Master of None
                    • Jan 2014

If you haven't noticed yet or tried the photo size limit has been greatly eased now! Please upload photos to the site now instead of using external image hosting. I have spent countless hours trying to salvage photos from external places to preserve posts.
                    Painter in training

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      JonMarsh commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The new capabilities at HTG for local imaging are like dying and going to heaven, compared to what we had to accommodate previously.
                  • theSven
                    Master of None
                    • Jan 2014

Today is big day for the HTGuide DIY section of the forum, there are no more photos linked to photobucket! I've spent the last 9 months downloading the original photo from photobucket and then uploading it to the post. This all started with getting annoyed with the watermark and trying to see details in some build photos. While also removing photobucket photos from the forum, I was also updating other photos in the posts that were recoverable, or removed and left the Image not available text.

I still need to go through the other sections of the forum to continue the removal of photobucket, but I can sleep much better knowing that the DIY section is completed. If you're interested in the search string, use this url:

Code:
                    https://www.htguide.com/forum/search?searchJSON=%7B%22keywords%22%3A%22photobucket%22%2C%22channel%22%3A%5B%22929057%22%2C%2251%22%2C%2223%22%2C%22926008%22%2C%22926009%22%2C%22926217%22%2C%22926010%22%2C%22926011%22%2C%22926012%22%2C%22926013%22%2C%22926014%22%2C%22926216%22%2C%2255%22%5D%2C%22sort%22%3A%7B%22relevance%22%3A%22desc%22%7D%2C%22view%22%3A%22topic%22%2C%22exclude_type%22%3A%5B%22vBForum_PrivateMessage%22%5D%2C%22has_answer%22%3A%22-1%22%7D&btnSubmit=
                    Off to work on fixing more posts 😂🤣😂
                    Painter in training

Comment

• Steve Manning
                      Steve Manning commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Very nice Sven .... thanks for all the hard work you've been putting in.

• technodanvan
                      technodanvan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I appreciate all the work you've done and I'm sure one or two of my own posts were fixed in the process.
                  Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"