X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Micro Speaker Systems

I have a friend looking for a micro speaker system. I'd call it a sub/sat system but in his case, he already has a sub. He just needs the 5 sats.

I've recommended the Energy Take 5 or the Mirage AVS (which are pretty much the same speaker systems). I know Klipsch, Polk, Infinity and Paradigm (among others) offer systems in the same category.

The catch is pricing. My friend doesn't want to spend more than $450...and he seems pretty firm on that. I have found the 5-piece Mirage AVS (remember, no subwoofer) system for $421. I was just curious if anyone had any opinions on other micro systems and tips on finding great prices.

Thanks,

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • DavidY
    • Aug 2000

For pricing on Energy speakers, you may want to try Marc Hallam at http://www.audioshop.on.ca Send him an email with your zip/postal code.

He usually provides good pricing on Energy speakers. However, I am not sure about the availability of the Energy Take 5 system.

As for other speakers, it really depends if he wants an all-in-one system like the Energy Take 5, Mirage AVS or mix and match.

As you know, you can mix and match almost any speaker. The trick is to get them to timbre match. However, to keep it simple, it is generally recommended to stay with one make/model.

Some well regarded models include:

PSB Alphas (PSB's seem to online friendly and since they are from Canada, they provide excellent value)
    Sound Dynamics RTS (probably have to get from Canada in order to make budget limit; considered the entry line of API which also makes Energy and Mirage)
    B&W DM302 (probably exceeds budget)

Dave

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Silli I'll second Dave's recomendation for the take 5's if size is the prime concern. If you can move up to small bookshlef speakers you might also be able to get 5 NHT superzero's for $100 each which IMO would give you better sound then the take 5's would esp if music is important.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"