X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aeromos
    • Jun 2003

A/V Racks - Benefits?

Okay guys jump in on this one. What are the benefits of having a high quality rack? I understand the isolation but not fully. Does vibration really affect the way a component operates? Also I read that depending on the type of rack you have, the dynamic range, clarity, and sound attributes such as bass, mids and highs are affected. I was always under the impression that these things were really determined by your speakers. Can any of you please expound on this without getting too technical. Thanks guys!!

Aeromos
    Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
    My Collection
    Aeromos
    Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
    My Collection
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Rand,

I'm not a rack designer, but as I understand it, the purpose of a good quality rack is to minimize vibration (isolation) and also to not add any coloration to whatever is output - audio or video.

The isolation component is VERY important to turntable owners, as you have a mechanical point of contact between a stylus and a grooved vinyl surface. Any significant external vibration can cause the stylus to not track as it needs to, which at minimum is inducing poorer sound and at maximum, mistracking and damage to the stylus and/or album. Now for something like CD/DVD which isn't a mechanical/analog contact, vibration may not be nearly as problematic - but it is still there and many audiophiles think it is a source of contamination and want to minimize it. Even further out on the scientific tree limb, is the idea that vibration negatively effects things like pre/pros, amps and the like. Your mileage can and probably will vary on this. . . .

My personal set-up is a Lovan Classic II rack system. Each component sits on a separate stand with shot-filled legs and a wood shelf that sits on rubber bushings. Each stand connects to the others with three spiked feet that fit into recessed cups in the caps of the next lower level. The filled legs add mass to the rack which helps reduce vibration - ditto the rubber shelf supports. I did "perceive" a change in the clarity and balance of my system when I moved it to the Lovan. I added a Symposium Svelte Shelf under my turntable which has made an audible (to me) difference also. The difference here is that this shelf reduces vibrations generated BY THE TURNTABLE and not external ones.

Short version, a good rack made a difference to me audibly by reducing the effects of vibration. I hope this helps.

One word of caution, this is a VERY subjective issue and I REALLY recommend you test at home before buying - or at least make sure you can get the full amount of the purchase refunded if you aren't satisfied.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Oops, forgot all about coloration. This is the idea that the material a rack and/or shelf is made of can alter the sound the component sitting on it puts out. IE, a hard, dense surface like a metal shelf will cause a component to sound different than a softer, wooden shelf will. I'm not really sure about this as I haven't tested it one way or the other.

Anyone else?

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"