X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Are movie theaters safe for newborns?

My daughter is only 6 weeks old and I'm wondering if movie theaters are a danger to her hearing? This could be movies in a commercial theatre or at home in my basement theatre. Obviously loud noises are a concern for us all but are newborns more susceptible to damage even at lower volumes? I've tried searching the web for information but I can't seem to find anything specific to infants.

• Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Andrew,

I'd be careful here. Their ears are a lot more sensitive and I'm afraid that damage could occur. At least, I wouldn't until I heard otherwise. Furthermore, the sounds, darkness, crowds, etc. might startle the little one and cause you to be distracted away from the movies.

I'd suggest that you and your wife take turns going to the movies with friends instead, if that's practicable.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Well we've only taken here once so far and we had her in a snuggle so she slept the whole time and even if she had woken up she wouldn't have seen anything with the snuggly wrapped around her. Still the noise levels are an issue that I am concerned about both at home watching movies and at a theater if we end up there.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Were it me, I'd wait until she's at least a year old to go to the theater, and just keep it down low at home, and up your center speaker for dialogue. Also, watch the type of movie, save the action adventures to when she's not there, watch comedies, romance, whatever, when she's with you...

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Robbie
          • Aug 2000

I think danbry covered it well for the baby in addition i would also like to bring up being considerate of others. To me there's nothing worse than a screeming kid at the theater. At 6 weeks it may not be a problem cause they sleep all the time but in a couple of months it may. I have seen theaters with special baby rooms in the back that had its own sound system and was sealed from the rest of the crowd.

One more reason I don't go to the movies very often.

My suggestion is to find a babysitter your wife could use the break.

My .02

Robbie

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Yeah, I agree with Keith. Be careful there, Andrew.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

I'm also on the side of caution. I put a pair of ear protectors on my 4 year old (now 5) when I took him to the theater for ATOC. For a newborn, I'd keep him/her out of the theater until they are 2 or so, and then always have something handy to put on them if it turns out to be louder than expected.

On the humorous side, my kid now has a bizarre reaction to being frightened by things in movies. He covers his ears, and keeps watching. If something even seems like it's about to get scary, the hands start hovering near the sides of his head.

BB

Comment

• SiliGoose
                • Aug 2000

Getting them startet early, huh?

I have seen theaters with special baby rooms in the back that had its own sound system and was sealed from the rest of the crowd.
                Wow...that' sounds very cool.

While not nearly as important as the effects of the theater experience on the child you might also want to consider the sentiments of the other paying customers. The last thing they want is to be distracted by crying.

In high school I went to see one of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre sequals. This woman brought in her three children, the oldest of which was probably 4. They cried and screamed through the entire film. The mother responded by smacking them over and over. Several people approached her about the interruptions to which she responded with attacks like, "don't tell me how to take care of my own".

-Sili
                www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bing Fung
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2000

Andrew, when Katherine was less than 1 year old we took our girls to the Regina Science center and the Kramer Imax. The Titanic was the featured bill and although it was loud, Katherine slept through it like a baby (she actually was). I didn't think it was going to be as loud as it was, however seems seem no worse for wear 9 years later

Bing
                  Bing

Comment

• Bing Fung
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2000

However Christine just said that Lauren is much to small to be exposed to loud theaters ops:

Bing
                    Bing

Comment

• Jeff Aguilar
                      • Jun 2001

We trained our kids right!!!

We never took them to the theater when they were that young. My wife and I would watch movies at home after the kids went to bed and it would be on pretty loud. They ended up being able to sleep right through the movies. They don't wake up when we watch movies, at all. No matter how loud.

I must have watched Star Wars on Laser a hundred times while my wife was pregnant with both of our boys. All we had to do was put on that laser and they would calm right down. It worked great. 8O

Jeff-

Comment

• Aeromos
                        • Jun 2003

I'd have to agree with most of these guys. Your daughter is so young and has sensitive ears. I think it's better if you don't expose her to such loud conditions. Even if it was a comedy or romance, usually the volume is quite loud in theaters. Continued exposure to loud volumes will just worsen anyone's hearing. I work with a guy who's worked in an airport for years. He has said that although he's worn the protective earphones, he has noticed that his hearing has become worse. Better safe than sorry!!

Aeromos
                        Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                        My Collection
                        Aeromos
                        Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                        My Collection

Comment

• Harry Tuttle
                          • Jun 2003

Our local area has special `cry baby' sessions, where the whole point is for parents to take the little ones to the movies. Showtimes are during the day and the movies are catered for the mothers (no T2 or Die Hard or Texas Chain Saw). Children range in age from days old to pre-school. No has complained about the noise levels effecting the childrens years, and the children really do enjoy it.

You might want to check out the local cinemas as I would be surprised if they didn't have the same sort of arrangement.

Harry
                          Harry

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Hi Harry! Welcome to The Guide. We hope you enjoy it here.

One thing you could do to help buffer the sound if you are determined to go, is to tuck a blanket around your newborn's head in their carrier. NO, don't cover their face Just bunch it up and place the multiple layers around the sides and top of their head to act as "headphones". That will cut the sound by several decibels. Try it out on yourself and see.

Andrew, you won't fit in the carrier - that's not what I meant.

David - HTGuide flunky
                            Our "Theater"
                            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

You might want to check out the local cinemas as I would be surprised if they didn't have the same sort of arrangement.
                              They do offer this service once a week I think.

David when ever we're out Lauren's usually in a "sling" which does wrap around her so she is protected somewhat. That said we haven't taken her to the theater since that first time and keep the volume down when watching movies at home.

Comment

• dsmith
                                • Jan 2003

Congrats on the new baby.

But, why only the concern for the baby's ears? Adult ears are also susceptible to damage from some of the high levels in theaters these days. One good reason to limit your movie viewing to your own HT; plus you don't have to listen to distraction from others.

I too would be cautious with a newborn's ears. However, and I hate to disillusion you, but when the kid grows up she will probably do far more damage to her ears listening to loud rock music at concerts.

Dsmith

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"