X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdram
    • Mar 2005

CD Playback Levels

Here's a question for you... I've noticed something a liitle odd. Has there been a change in the way CD's are recorded/produced since their introduction? I ask because I've noticed that when I pop in a newer CD, to get to a normal listening level I need to have the volume between 50-55 on my 1068. When I go back into the archives, and play a CD I purchased years ago...say circa mid to late 80's, I have to have the volume control up in the mid 60's to get the same volume. Seems like there's been a change in the ...what would you call it... "reference level" of the actual pressing? And quite honestly, some of them sound like dog dew...little to no bass response seems common to early CD's. Anybody else ever notice this? Just wondering..

RD
  • littlesaint
    • Jul 2007

Compression. Not bitrate compression, but audio compression. I've yet to hear a reason as to why studios apply it they way they do, but it certainly makes music sound louder. It also raises the noise floor and sucks the dynamics right out.
    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

This is a pretty good video "basically" discribing it...

Spring 2016 - check out my updated course, Foundations of Digital Audio, at http://www.lynda.com/Acoustics-tutorials/Foundations-Digital-Audio/383529-2.htmlH...

and another example

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• cug
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by littlesaint
        Compression. Not bitrate compression, but audio compression. I've yet to hear a reason as to why studios apply it they way they do, but it certainly makes music sound louder. It also raises the noise floor and sucks the dynamics right out.
        The reason is simple psychology: when two songs are played, the average listener will feel that the louder song is the better.

Same applies to two radio stations: ask a thousand people which radio station is better between two and the majority will choose the louder of both. Same with comparable audio systems.

Comment

• rdram
          • Mar 2005

That would explain what I'm hearing. I had no idea that's been happening and it sure doesn't seem to make any sense as to why the studios would take all the dynamic range out of a recording just to make it louder. Thats what a volume control is for. Thanks for the info.

RD

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"