• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Listener Bites The Dust

Phooey! :evil:

My favorite magazine, Listener has gone to great printing press in the sky. I was checking the mailbox for my latest edition and hadn't seen it. It's easily reconizable as a smallish (5 x 7) bound-format book. Going through the mail, I opened the mailing wrap on a thin glossy standard mag thinking it was an advertising flyer and found a letter saying that my subscription to Listener would be honored and that any renewals would be for this mag. It's called The Audiophile Voice or some such and IT DOESN'T MEASURE UP. Damn.

Listener was a distinctly audiophile publication with no interest in the video portion of things, and had a wonderful, irreverent sense of self-deprecation and stressed enjoying the music. I will miss it.

Damn.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Damn!
    I too will miss Listener mag. While I might disagree on their preference for SET amps and extremely efficiant speakers like Lowthers it was always a great read. Plus, their reviews had nothing to do with who paid for advertising, which of course is why they didn't survive.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
      • Sep 2001

David -

Aside from it not being Listener, how does The Audiophile Voice not measure up? Given that Listener is no longer available, is there any alternative publication still in print that would be acceptable to fulfuill your subscription?

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Hi guys,

Unfortunately, I'm already subscribing to The Absolute Sound and Stereophile. While both are quite acceptable, neither is what Listener was. As Bob pointed out, they reviewed very honestly and yes, that's probably what killed them. I'm not aware of any other publications that would be as enjoyable a read and be as full of good info, and that's too bad. As far as TAV, on first read, it seems somewhat lightweight with lots of advertising.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"