X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Low frequency tinnitis?

Is there such a thing. In my house at night, I hear a hum, similar in frequency to an AC compressor or refrigerator hum, even sort of changes intensity. But I cannot locate any possible source for the noise. Was wondering if it's me.

Anyone know if this happens, or is it always the high test tone type noise?

BB
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Cover your ears and see if you still hear it. If you still hear it it's in your head (or ears). If you don't still hear it, it's in your house--it could be as simple as a humming transformer in your clock radio, or something like that.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
    My HT Site

Comment

• Brandon B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2001

I tried covering my ears, and it SEEMS to make it go away, but it is fairly faint, so it's hard to be sure. I went out my front door, and can't hear it outside, but there is a little more ambient noise out there. Seems to indicate it is not a neighbor's AC unit or anything though, cuz it would get louder when I opened the door if so.

It is not my clock radio, I can hear it in different room and my clock radio is silent. I can't think of a single thing in the house that could cause it. I have eliminated:

Refrigerators
      AC equipment
      audio equipment
      doorbell transformer
      computers

I would think it was freeway noise, but it is a perfect constant pitch.

In fact, it sounds just like the HVAC system here at work. I'm not near any power lines. No big transformers near my house.

I'm at a loss. I really don't think it's in my head, but I can't conceive of a source.

BB

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Try turning off the main breaker and see if that stops the hum...if so you know its power related.

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Even if you turn off your power it could be a neighbor's AC unit or something--sometimes it'll sound quite different inside than out so you don't recognize it. Especially if you're lying in bed on your side so one ear is covered, sometimes faint noises sound different and not as recognizable.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
          My HT Site

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"