Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Here we go -- get ready to add more speakers

OVERHEAD SOUND. Read about it here:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Burke Strickland
    • Sep 2001

Well, home theater has always been a "high overhead" hobby... :>) Actually there have been several proposals in the past for an overhead speaker -- David Chesky has long advocated it for full ambience re-creation and Wendy Carlos-Williams (of "Switched On Bach" fame) even mentions, but dismisses it, in a lengthy essay on surround configurations.

But now I guess now that Dolby Labs is on the band wagon, we can start looking for in-ceiling speakers, or secure overhead mounts for full size speakers, or just laugh and say what will they think of... "Next"... :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

What will they think of next? :B

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

See next post. I couldn't delete this one.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Next ? There's only the floor left. Hmmm....

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Uncle Clive
            Former Moderator
            • Jan 2002

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
            Next ? There's only the floor left. Hmmm....
            They may of gotten that covered with "bass Shakers" I think "Human in-plants" will be next

CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?
            CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Mind speakers, is where it's at! LOL. Good one Clive.

I myself, am not getting to excited about this, just as the rear center. Myself, I think the 7.1 configuration with sides and rears is what I want. They can add all the superfluous matrixed channels they want to, myself, I am staying with 7.1. But I will sell people cable for as many channels as they want to run, the more the merrier, lol.

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Lex, I don't want to know where the L/R cables for the mind speaker get plugged in!

With this preponderance of speakers, don't you feel that we'll reach the point that you'll need a large room to accomodate all of them? Seems like a small room (like mine) that's not perfectly set up will have a very "cluttered" sound field.

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

My room is roughly 14 by 18 and I feel my 7.1 set up is enough, so I will not be going the ceiling route. Now with huge rooms and high ceilings, perhaps the more the merrier thing would work nicely.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• woodman
                    • Sep 2002

I have to toss into the mix the following:

IMO, none of the multi-channel formats (beyond 5.1) that depend on software to make them work, stand even a teeny, tiny chance of ever going anywhere. I don't believe that an audience that will equip themselves to buy into these formats will ever develop, due to the determined stance adopted by the vast majority of women who are nearly impossible to convince that "we really NEED these extra speakers in our living room, honey". Just ain't gonna happen, gents.

I'm really a bit surprised at the success rate for 5.1 surround sound in America - but I think (and my trusty crystal ball backs me up on this) that the end of that road has already been reached.

woodman
                    woodman

Comment

• GregoriusM
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2000

5.1 is pretty darn good. 7.1 is as far as it will economically go, and the ol' SAF (spouse approval factor) will probably keep most at 5.1, unless you have a dedicated sound room.
                      Gregor

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                        • Jan 2002

hee hee

Yeah, I mentioned to Angibug about adding a couple of speakers back when I considered the Rotel pre/pro. She said I wasn't adding a dadnabbit (but the word was not that nice) thing, if anything I would be removing the ones in the rear corners to accomodate built in bookcases. I shut up quickly!

All of the sudden 5.1 sounds as good as it gets in our home.

Oh well, one day Chelsea will be gone and I'll have me a little play room then. Bout 6 years away.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"