What role should the Home Theater Guide forums fill?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • merc
    • Nov 2000

What role should the Home Theater Guide forums fill?

Should you allow posters to:

1.) Inform and advise us according to the manufacturers recommendations?
    2.) Try to sell us on the products sold by their advertisers or the advertisers supporting the forum?
    3.) Act as a meeting place for happy folks who all agree on HT?
    4.) Be a forum for people to report on their good experiences and good opinions on HT equipment, manufacturers, and all things HT related?
    5.) Be a forum for people to warn others of their bad experiences with those entities covered in #4, as well, so that they might not experience those same nightmares?
    6.) Be a forum where folks can suggest ways in which those problem entities may correct those errors noted in both #4 and #5?

So… how do you guys see your forum?

Thanks!

Take Care,
    merc
    Take Care,
    merc
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Merc, there's really only 2 people here that can definitively answer those questions. Yes, our Moderators pretty much know our policies, some of which are unspoken, but in the end Mats and myself make the policy decisions. Sometimes, it's a fluid process, not hard line on any one thing. It all depends what it is, timing as well.

We do tend to protect our advertisers, and rightfully so. They pay our bills. You will find that is not out of the ordinary at most other forums either.

But to address your items, number 1 is to vague. what kind of recommendations would be my question.

Number 2, I think I answered that already. HTGuide members are a pretty loyal group. For example, most know I run both a cable company and an HT forum, and respect that. Our policy for cable discussion is, for the most part, it is referred to "The Cable Forum", another Guide Company Forum.

3. We have little strong disagreements here. I guess we are a happy group. So, in short, anyone that crossed that line, and began to cause trouble would first be given warnings, and progressively could have their membership terminated.

4. nothing wrong with reporting good experiences, but like anything else, in moderation. What I mean by this is, if we see reporting these things turn into a personal agenda to either save the world or promote for either personal gain or other reasons some entity beyond what management considers reasonable, then that issue would be addressed.

5. Nothing wrong with warnings, but we will watch these types of activities for the reason to not be held liable for comments made here. So we respectfully ask, if you want to "Bose Bash", you do it someplace else. Complaints should be handled with the vendor or manufacturer, and your reporting your issues here handled in a professional courteous manner.

6. Nothing wrong normally to mention ideas for ways to improve products, such as in Club Rotel here. Many suggestions have been made. But if made here, normally, these comments are your observation only, and normally would not be relayed to the manufacturer or vendor by HTG, rather, that's up to the individual to handle outside of HTG, unless it's a situation where one of our moderators has a relaltionship setup to handle valid suggestions, such as Club Rotel.

I hope that answered at least some of your questions.

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• merc
      • Nov 2000

Hi Lex: I am really trying to find a forum that I can truly say what I've seen, what I've bought, what I've heard, what I've bought, what I've been told... on a forum.

You, probably don't want me either, as I have been kicked from other forums for criticiizing companies affiliated with those posts.

Maybe... if you seem to support my reviews, they will eventually pay you to get rid of me?

Take Care,
      merc
      Take Care,
      merc

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Merc as of today I'm not aware of any HGT membership being terminated so you're likely pretty safe here Unless of course you don't like Rotel then I'm afraid I'll have to beat you with a wet noodle till you give in lol (just kidding I'd never use a wet noodle)

Comment

• LarryB
          • Dec 2001

I knew it was only a matter of time 'til the troublemakers found us...

Larry-just-kidding-B

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Merc, we don't say we don't "want" anyone. But if your or anyone else's intent is only to stir controversy, that we honestly don't need. Our members play very nicely together. A forum founded on controversy, we are not. We hope to continue in that tradition. That's not to say you cannot disagree with something, that you can. It's how you disagree that most often either creates controversy, or just shows up as a difference of opinion.

If you step over a line, you will know about it. That's really the best I can tell you.

Being kicked off other forums, isn't really my concern, but if it's happened multiple times, a pattern would seem to indicate a change of behavior is necessary to peacefully co-exist at any forum. Ours I am sure would be no different.

That said, hang your hat here for a while. If it works, great, if not, well one of us will likely know it fairly fast, lol.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

I knew it was only a matter of time 'til the troublemakers found us...
              LOL

Personally, I have no problem in speaking your mind (critically) about a company or product -I think a little controversy is a good thing .
              I only have issue with forums & people who blindly defend a product to their grave. Case in point: the Outlaw 950 debacle @ some big un-named forum.

I have never experienced any "problems" here at HTG. These are ALL great people here. However, I think a bit of good natured debate may be the missing ingredient.

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with a little good-natured debate, and there's been some of that in the past here at The Guide. But the one thing you never see here is arrogance, thank heavens. As for Merc, I'd like to see him hang around for awhile.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"