X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lambo_freak
    • May 2007

Headphone selection

Looking for some good headphones that can run without the aid of a headphone amp. Which would be best, any other suggestions? $80 USD max!

• gross30
    • Jun 2005

There are some great deals on Sennheiser products at that price range, and they make some great products. I have the HD-600 w/Cardas cable, and although I don't listen to them much, and they are not in that price range,when I do, they do sound great.

Comment

• cobbpa
      • Apr 2005

Linkwitz suggests the Shure E2C for budget headphones. Beyond that, check out the following link. I don't make any guarantee on its accuracy or anything, but it seems useful...

Find out how to measure headphones using a head microphone and how to analyze the microphone measurements. Learn more!

Comment

• george_k
        • Jan 2004

Just throwing in a recommendation for Grado SR-60, excellent sound IMO.

Check the head-fi forums your bound to get better answer there

Comment

• Pookie007
          • Apr 2006

What kind of headphones do you want? Are you looking for in-ear, on ear, or over the ear? I have some Shure in-ear I use for traveling because they take up very little space, but I prefer on or over the ear versions for listening at home. There are good headphones in that price range in all variations. I can also send you a few links to websites that review headphones if you would like.

Comment

• lambo_freak
            • May 2007

Looking for on/around ear headphones. They will be used for desk work. I like the reviews on the Grados with the SR80 pad upgrades. I wish the bass response didn't roll off so early though.

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

I have owned a number of cans, best bang for the buck were these, don't let the price fool you: Koss PortaPro Headphones.

I also own a pair of Bose in ear headphones that I received for my birthday, and they are really good with excellent bass response (you will need to break-in these cans for approximately 100 hrs, because they sound bad initially). The one caveat, the ear pieces sometimes come off, but Bose has sent me a upgraded pair of plugs that I have yet to try.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• lambo_freak
                • May 2007

I went to a store today and listened to several different cans. Even the high priced models reminded me of why I've not bought headphones in the past: I hate the staging. So if any mod wants to close this up, you can.

Comment

• Alloroc
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Dec 2005

I use Senheiser PCX-300 noise reducing 'phones at the desk. They sound great, although they do require batteries but they do last quite a while. They also block out a loth of the chatter and hum from the average office space. They're really light and comfy too. And if you commute, you'll be happy. I had the PCX-250 before the 300s and I gave them to my wife - really good to and no real difference in quality.
                  Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Pookie007
                    • Apr 2006

I like the Grado headphones. I think they are more open than the senn's. I was going to replace my pads, but after using them for about a week decided it wasn't necessary. You can also get a Grado adapter cable so you can convert to the smaller plug to use on things like you Ipod.

For those of you about to respond how about how much sound quality I give up using an Ipod, please also include a explanation of how to get a pre-amp, headphone amp, DVD source, line condition, and associated cables on the airplane for my 2.5 hour flight.

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Nope! iPods have their proper place, just as long as people don't start expecting them to things they're not capable of doing. (I always roll my eyes at products to integrate iPods with hi-fi systems and such)
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Well there is a firmware you can install on them to play FLAC lossless files. I have yet to try it out as I haven't purchased a new Ipod yet but since there is a 160 gig version now I may be doing that soon.

Comment

• Alloroc
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005

I've an 80gb video ipod and I'm using apple lossless for the time being. It's mostly used with my Shure E500s and I'm pretty happy with the quality. When buying the 'phones I went through the full Shure range from SE110 right the way up and there was a distinct improvment in quality each and every time. I would note that the sound isolation concept works well if you're in a reasonably quiet place/room or street - regular hustle and bustle that is. They don't however work as well as noise reduction 'phones where noise is more intense and defined - a bus, plane or train for example.

I must give the FLAC rip a try and compare but as Chris says, once you understand what you're getting with an ipod, you'll be all right. Btw, Apple lossless really, really eats into battery life. I guess any lossless format would do the same. Defeats the purpose really!
                          Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• Pookie007
                            • Apr 2006

Another website that has pretty good reviews is www.goodcans.com. He helped answer a few questions of mine, so I made all my headphone purchases through him.

Comment

• dyazdani
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Oct 2005

I'd offer up a Grado recommendation as well. I've had SR-80s and SR-225s and have always liked the sound. I've got some AKGs now, but for the $80 range, SR-0s or 80s would work great.
                              Danish

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Well you have to install a 3rd party firmware to get the Ipod to play FLAC. I can't remember the website for the firmware I'll look for it.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                  • Nov 2004

I have that on an iPod and it's the only thing that should ever be on an iPod... Course I have the software on my iAudio as well...

Rockbox is a great sounding firmware change for the iPod, made the iPod sound MUCH MUCH better.
                                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                  -Dan

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"