X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

Cellphone RF output (totally off topic)

I have noticed that my LG cellphone puts out a ton of RF when I get a call and when i get a call and it's on vibrate.

Is there a way to measure that output ? It interfere's with my PC monitors,public address in the courtrooms I work in, my home alarm clock.Isn't the FCC suppose to measure these to see if they interfere too much.

This is kinda audio ops:

KG
    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

KG, I'd run that sucker right back to the place you bought it. That's not normal (or acceptable), and I'd be willing to bet your unit has a defect of some kind. Plus, that much RF output can't be good for you.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

I'm also pretty sure that it's a defect.

Now we'll understand why all cell phones must be turned off in flight..

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Well, that's exactly right, Jim. It's my experience that many (maybe most or all?) cell phones create interference with a lot of computers, stereo systems, radios, etc. It's not when it sits passively, it's when it's actively transmitting or receiving something, such as during an active call, or the phone's about to ring. If I'm sitting at my computer at work, I can usually tell when I'm about to get a call on my cell, as I get the dit-dit-dit noise through the computer speakers.

Many of you know that I'm a pilot. It's fairly frequent during takeoff that I'll also hear the "dit dit dit dit" noise over my radio headset, from somebody's cell phone that they "forgot" to turn off. (I've been the offender a couple times, though) This seems to happen as we go down the runway or take off, as the cell phone gets out of range of its current service tower and tries to transition to another one. It usually continues if the person doesn't turn it off, as we climb in altitude and get further and further away from towers.

Although cell phones are USUALLY benign and don't affect anything other than the annoying noise it gives us in the cockpit, the FAA can't guarantee with every single cell phone out there and how it performs, which is why you've got to turn it off. It probably won't be a problem, but it's just not worth the chance that it could mess with our instruments, or even have the noise make us miss a radio call or hear the instructions wrong, creating a very dangerous situation. This is even more critical when it happens close to takeoff/landing, the most critical phase of the entire flight, due to the proximity to the ground, mountains, and buildings, combined with low airspeeds, reduced maneuverability, and a lot of other airplane traffic really close.

I hear people complain all the time about not being able to use their cell phones in flight, saying it's no big deal, but it's just not worth my a$$, theirs, everybody else's in our planes and others nearby, people on the ground, and material things like the airplane itself and civilian buildings, all because some yahoo wants to make a phone call.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• whoaru99
          • Jul 2004

Quoted from some website....

Phones are banned for two official reasons:

Cell phones "might" interfere with the avionics (aviation electronics) of some airplanes.

Cell phones aloft "might" cause problems with cell tower systems on the ground.

Both of these risks are easily tested, yet somehow neither the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) nor the Federal Communications Commission has been able to get a definitive answer in the past 20 years as to whether phone calls in flight cause these suspected problems. (The FAA is responsible for the flight safety portion of all this, and the FCC is responsible for the cell tower part.)

The government's dirty little secret is that it cultivates uncertainty about the effects of phones in airplanes as a way to maintain the existing ban without having to confront the expense and inconvenience to airlines and wireless carriers of allowing them.

Why airlines want the ban

The airlines fear "crowd control" problems if cell phones are allowed in flights. They believe cell phone calls might promote rude behavior and conflict between passengers, which flight attendants would have to deal with. The airlines also benefit in general from passengers remaining ignorant about what's happening on the ground during flights, including personal problems, terrorist attacks, plane crashes and other information that might upset passengers.

Either way, I hope they stay banned. Last thing I want is another source of irritation while in the flying cattle car with every other blowhard yaking away in the usual obnoxiously loud way.
          There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Huh... I guess any of that might be true, although I can't speak to to larger corporation-"The Man"-whatever stuff. I just can tell you from my standpoint as an actual operator in aviation, that I have to fight constantly with the small problems that cell phones routinely cause with aircraft technology, much less the potential they have for more severe interference.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• autio
              • Mar 2005

This story came out in the last few days http://www.technewsworld.com/story/56901.html

Comment

• Alaric
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

I would go with the reasons put forth by the guy who actually flies the plane. As for http://www.technewsworld.com/story/56901.html , this sounds like another attempt to make me give up my car , stereo and climate controlled abode and stop eating meat. :roll:
                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                Schiit Modi 3
                Marantz CD5005
                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• jim777
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by autio
                  This story came out in the last few days http://www.technewsworld.com/story/56901.html
                  Ha! now imagine those phones that clip on your belt (with ear buds). You get to blast your ears and...

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"