X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I can see again...oh, oh !

Yeah, I have the start of a cataract in my left eye so I had to get a pair of interim glasses. Everything was blurred through the left eye, putting alot of strain on the right.
    SO I CAN SEE AGAIN. Now the work begins. I had to refocus both the crt and lcd projectors. I also feel I better go back and do a convergence on the crt and reset the lcd with Video Essentials.
    Thing is, my picture has never looked so good.Everything seems to have a 3D look. Colors are stunning, and blacks are blacker.
    Amazing what a difference a pair of glasses can make. I didn't realize how poor my vision was.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Congrats George! Oh, and welcome back, to the Real World! :B

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

George, good to have you back, in living clear color.

Well, at least your on top of this condition. Goodluck with that.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• KennyG
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2000

George, you say "interim glasses"...does this mean you must eventually have surgery on your eye?
        If so will your vision be even better in that eye?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Kenny,
          They won't remove the cataract until it is at a certain stage. After it is removed ( could be 6 months, a year or more from now)the glasses I have now will not be any good. I will have to have another examination which will result in either a new pair of glasses, or none at all if my vision is restored to normal. Cataracts are no big deal. It's a simple operation. They are just a nusiance. The eye gets a build up of fluid and begins to cloud over.Things become blurred and you think you have something in your eye a lot of the time. Like I say, just a nusiance. In the meantime, the glasses are working wonders.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2000

Very good! I was afraid this was something major.

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

I have personally known at least 3 people that had these procedures. Your eye is red for a good while, very red at first. But it's a fairly quick procedure. Lady at the office had both eyes done recently, and she's not even 50. So, it's a fairly common condition. As I know it, after this type of surgery though, you must protect your eyes from the sun with proper UV protection.

Fact is, a lot of this is caused by UV damage, I think. Wearing good UV protection outside now, could help to avoid the condition I think. I am speculating and going from memory on this, but I believe that's fairly accurate.

Myself, I have always bucked the no sunglass tradition on the golf couse. I only play with UV protection. With my blue eyes, it's the only way. Blue is more light sensitive, I think.

A company named Panama Jim has the best UV protection going right now I think. Used to think Revo was the ticket, but I think the PJs beat Revo.

Lex
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Jeff Aguilar
                • Jun 2001

George,

Sorry to hear about your cataract. I do know what you mean when you said that you did not know how blind you were until you put on your glasses.

I got my first pair of glasses about two years ago. It must have been from teasing everyone when I was younger and giving my wife such a hard time because she is almost blind without her glasses. My prescription is not very strong, but man, does it make a BIG difference. As a kid, I had better than 20/20 vision, now with my glasses I do again!(almost like Superman or maybe just the Six Million Dollar Man) My wife hates that I can see things before she does when we are driving.

Now I never watch a movie without my glasses! It is just a different experience. One thing I have noticed though, since I do not have to strain my eyes to see, if I take my glasses off it is harder to focus in on things. My eyes just don't have to work as hard when the glasses are on. Becuase of this, you will need to wear your glasses almost all the time. I now get bad headaches without my glasses on.

Jeff

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Hi,Jeff-
                  My glasses are basically to correct a FAR VISION problem, so I only wear them when I am watching tv or movies from 8 or more feet back. I haven't been able to get used to them for driving yet. The Doc suggeted I try driving in an abandoned parking lot until I am accustomed to the darn things.

Lex -
                  I believe you are right about the UV thing. The only time I have ever used sunglasses is when I was driving.I wear them more frequently now.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Jeff Aguilar
                    • Jun 2001

George,

The biggest problem with my glasses is looking at the ground. While looking down I feel 10' tall. That took me the longest to get use to. Another thing that was hard for me to get used to, I seem to take them off when not driving or watching a movie and I have lost 3 pairs of them. My wife cannot understand this because she never takes hers off unless she has contacts on. I bought a pair of sunglasses for the car (prescription) and I do not know how I lived without them.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"