X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

CCC - Chalet Chit Chat

I suppose most of you all have heard of TTP over in Not Ready for Primetime. However, I want to emphasise, that this is not intended to take away from TTP. It's just another place that folks can get better acquanted. In the same spirit, I am kicking off what could become a runnning thread for the everyone at the Guide.

Just jump in when you have something to say, it can be about HT, or it can be about anything else. Maybe just introducing yourself to the group if your new. Show us your theater, show us your pets, but please don't show us your ..... lol.

Hope you guys like this idea, and remember it's WIDE open, no holds barred on membership, a responsibility to report in, or anything like that. This is just about fun. Sometimes, the thread might drift off the page a bit, but that's ok too. We can always get it back up here when we want to!

But this does not mean you cannot start your own threads about htpics, beer, or anything else. This is in addition to that.

I will start with the official first post after this introduction!

Enjoy,
    Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

A few of you know of my job dissatisfaction at present. Yesterday, I decided to do something else to improve my marketability. Mostly I have been a mainframe programmer, but recently entered the SAP world, blah. It's just not my cup of java!

So, last night I purchased a new Visual Basic book, and began the self paced course. So far, I created a random number generator that I can use for DVD Lotto! And also created a JPG/GIF picture viewer, which is pretty cool. Too bad it has limitations on image type. No Tiff or Photoshop images.

I also bought a Javascript book, and might get some reading done on that while on vacation. After all, this is my future I am talking about, and the sooner I can start in a new gig the better!

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug

Comment

• Dave Rubin
      • Aug 2000

Lex, I certainly encourage you in your plans to learn some new technologies. And are think the ones you are looking at are some good choices, both in their own regard, as well as for the other related technologies they will lead you to.

As to the job, as bad as it may be, there are a few worse ones.......

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

Thanks Dave! I wonder where I get some of my advice on tools to learn? :W

LOL on the Taco Bell job. That's funny, real funny.

Lex
        Doug

Comment

• Bob
          • Jul 2000

I guess this is where to ask, who knows anything about using internet escrow accounts or Pay Pal? Which is better, safer? How are they set up?
          I went to the Pay Pal web site and didn't really find a satisfying explanation. I understand that people can use it to buy from you with a credit card but, how do you get your money? Can you ship something and have the person then cancel the sell on their credit card thereby stiffing you? If they are using a stolen credit card and you ship, do you get paid?

Comment

• Dave Rubin
            • Aug 2000

Bob, I have experienced PayPal from the Purchaser end rather than the Vendor end (which is what you are asking about, I think). So rather than providing you the answer, I can only speculate along with you....

It would seem to me that the clear value of any service of this sort would be to assume the risk of fraud or cancellation. After all, they should have the ability to run instant approval checks against the Credit Card database, or have an agreement with the credit card company. After all, this saves small business folks the time and expense to do this themselves.

But, yes, if this is not clearly stated in the small print, I would certainly be wary.

Comment

• Bing Fung
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Aug 2000

Hey Lex, I made that same number generator and picture viewer

Great picture Dave!

Bob, I sold an item on Ebay where the guys used Paybid. He bought a MO form them whith his CC i presume. Paybid contacted me via e-mail stating that the person has sent me a MO, and to not send the item untill, I have recieved it. the Mo came 4 days later and I then sent the item out.

Thats my only experiance.

Bing
              Bing

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Bob, the way Paypal works for a vendor is similar in some respects to an individual. You basically set it up with your email account and password. Then you associate a local bank account, be it checking or savings to your Paypal account.

When people transfer funds to you, you have the option of earning interest and leaving the money in your paypal account (only with CC verification as well), or you simply navigate to the transfer screen. It shows you how much is in your account, and you can transfer up to all of the money into your account. Initially, they transfer like 15 cents and 35 cents, and ask you to enter the amount of the deposits before your account is "verified". They do charge a small transfer fee on the dollar amount. Like 4-5 bucks on a 100.00 order. You maintain a customer history on all your sales made, and can print that out on demand.

I actually like the system, and feel fairly secure with it. I don't however, leave a lot of money in there, and nor have I associated a CC with my account.

Paypal is a great tool for the small business, and a great tool for the individual because they don't ever have to release address information to anyone.

Hope that helps,

Lex
                Doug

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Kewl Bing, I didnt' know you were a VB sort of guy.

I have added Java to my list of things to learn, as well as Java Script. Next ASP, maybe a little Cold Fusion. Needless to say, I am gonng be one busy dude, lol.

Of course, it's all self paced, so I will work at my own speed. One Java book I got is 1200 pages. I suspect I will finish it in about 5 years. LOL.

Lex
                  Doug

Comment

• Bob
                    • Jul 2000

thanks for the paypal info. It took a little digging through their website but, now I have a reasonable understanding of how it works.

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

Well, I am coming home tomorrow from a week at Hilton Head Island. So, looking forward to getting back to business as usual with the Guide, and finding a new day job very soon I hope. Glad to see you guys got by well without me this week. Here I thought ya needed me.

I was around a little bit, but not really a lot due to like 7 others that used the phone some too, and my computer of course.

Lex
                      Doug

Comment

• Bob
                        • Jul 2000

Since this is a anything goes thread it seems the best place for the following post:

PARANOID?

Could be you have good reason. It seems almost nobody escapes the scrutiny of John Law at some point in their life. Especially now with hidden cameras almost everywhere. If you don't think we are headed toward a police state go to the following website;

it searches all law inforcement data bases. Not to seem too paranoid but, I wouldn't give it your SS #. No matter how law abidding you may be I bet you'll find that some agency at some time has taken notice of you.

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

Hmm, I dunno if that was really Bob, or Big Brother that posted this, so we better not do this, lol.

I agree, I think it's getting just a little bit to governmental. Just last month, they say they will be pulling people over without their seat belts fastened, and citing them. Excuse me, is't it my own butt if I don't fasten my seat belt? I resent the hell out of someone telling me to buckle up, wether I should or not, is not the issue. What's next, police citations for to little air pressure in your tires? Police citation for a bad color choice from the factory? Police citation for mis-matched interior or exterior? I just think it's a little rediculous when they come inside your vehicle and make my business, their business.

Lex
                          Doug

Comment

• GregoriusM
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Oct 2000

Hey, Lex! If you were living in Canada, I'd respectfully disagree with you, because it would be my money that would be taking care of you if you got hurt by not wearing a seat belt.

I suppose down there too, if you go to a public hospital, everybody else is paying for your room and board through their taxes.

What I suggest is: Drive real careful, man, especially if you visit us up here. We can't afford to have you in an accident!!! ;-)

Respectfully yours,
                            The Latest and Happiest Avia Guide to Home Theater Winner - Greg!!!

P.S. Don't worry, Lex. We'd take of ya!!! :-)
                            Gregor

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"