X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Mindless fun...not enough?

It's strange, but when I had my 35" TV I never had this problem...I don't have enough mindless material.?
    Now that I have a large projector I find myself "hunting" through my DVD's more often for mindless movies. Today I even went out and bought the 1998 version of Godzilla! However let me say, in my mind this movie was never as bad as the "critics/would be critics" made it out to be...
    It seems as though this large screen can be so engrossing that at times I now look for stuff that I don't mind pausing for 15 - 30 minutes while I go do something else.
    There seems to be more times when I want to watch something, but not be so engrossed in it that I can't shut it off for awhile. Used to be I NEVER started a movie that I didn't try to finish with only a "middle of the movie" 5 minute brake, and I still try to keep it that way for the serious stuff.
  • Bob Santos
    • Mar 2001

Kenny,
    I know what you mean. I put movies in often after
    seriously watching a film to wind down from my previous viewing. I gennerally will pick a favorite DVD that I have watched many times, or pick something on HBO, or Showtime to watch.

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Mindless or epic, a film in my HT gets the same respect. I just enjoy that none of it, no matter how well done, isn't real but will suspend my belief! I love ht too but, they are just movies

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

When I first got into front projection I would put anything in the (at that time) tape or LD player.I found I was more caught up in image detail and was constantly looking for things I didn't like.Next thing I knew, I'd have the cover off the crt projector and I'd start tinkering with the gain and bias or the convergence controls.This went on for a long time, I'm afraid.I had to start slapping my wrist whenever I thought I saw something I didn't like in the projected picture.I rarely touch the crt today, and pretty much never touch the LCD unless it's time to clean the filter.People are amazed at the great picture I get on these projectors. They have me convinced.

I still watch something mindless now and then,though when I am feeling lazy and don't want to watch a film that makes me think.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2000

I am in the process of breaking that same habit, searching for "flaws" in my projector's picture, and having to make minor adjustments in the middle of a movie...I'm much better at it now than I was a month ago...but still there is work to be done in that area.

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

My recent solution to the "mindless viewing material" question (besides the popcorn style films I already have too many of) is to buy DVD's of TV shows that I would have liked to have watch, but didn't, because of time and other issues (I don't have cable connected, for example). One's like "Sex in the City", "X-Files", etc. The DVD reproduction of most of these beats the pants off cable or over the air, particularly when they are film source, as the color bandwidth is about 3X better. Time commitment is reasonable, at 30 minutes to an hour. Also, I'm much less inclined to pick apart the video image- it's only TV, afterall!

-Jon

Earth First!
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• KennyG
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2000

Never thought of a TV series in that manner...very good, I may have to buy one and see how that works out. I've been waiting for the first season of Babylon 5 to come out. That's one TV series I'd watch more than once...or twice.
              I have always enjoyed X-files, Sex in the City and the Sopranos, so maybe I'll give one of those a try!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"