Why do people buy a "bright 'speaker then a "warm" amp?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Why do people buy a "bright 'speaker then a "warm" amp?

You hear all the time that a purchase of a speaker was made because of it's "detailed" and "accurate" sound. Then the same individual will say that they bought a "warm" sounding amp to tame the brightness of the speakers...

Now I would deduct that if you like the sound of the speaker, why change it? Would it not be wiser to work on the room's accoustics?

I am not trying to say which is right or wrong, just want to get a feel for the reasoning.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I think that people first buy a speaker, because they think it's detailed, airy, etc... Only after listening to it a while, does this begin to get to them. Then they begin to look for a fix. Why a warmer amp? Because that's the eaiest fix. One amp in, problem fixed, end of story.

People are hesitant for embarking on room accoustic changes, both because they are an unknown phenominon to them, as well as being averse to appearance effects "correct" accoustic treatments might have.

That's my take on it. Simply, going with something they know, versus the unknown.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I think doug's nailed it on this one. You hear people all the time speaking about the air and detail when auditioning speakers but it can get fatiging (sp/) after awhile so people look for a quick fix. Also peoples tastes change (mature) over time so maybe what they wanted when they bought the speakers isn't what they need now.

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Okay I buy the above points but, let me add this to the mix. Would it not be just as simple as swaping a for softer sounding speaker? Of course if it is a recent purchase.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"