X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Home Theater Power Consumption

I could use some advice from someone experience with electical things. I have my complete home theater and computer on a single 15 amp circuit. Durring the most demanding times I have the Following going:

50" Plasma apx 500 Watts
    Class D Amp apx 400 Watts (but never drive the unit hard)
    Processor apx 40 Watts
    DVD Player apx 40 Watts
    Sub apx 500 Watts (never driven hard)

Computer, Cable Box, moden, IR/RF repeater ....all run iddle.

At present I have experience no problems. The issue lays in a Buttkicker I ordered which has a 1100 watt amp!! :E

I am using a richard grey power centre, but not sure how or if this helps.

How many watts can come from a 15 amp breaker?
    How can I tell if I can switch the 15 amp break for a 20 amp?

Any feedback would be very helpful.

thanks
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

sorry this should be in the AV chalet...Mods can you please move?

Comment

• ht_addict
      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Vancouver
      I could use some advice from someone experience with electical things. I have my complete home theater and computer on a single 15 amp circuit. Durring the most demanding times I have the Following going:

50" Plasma apx 500 Watts
      Class D Amp apx 400 Watts (but never drive the unit hard)
      Processor apx 40 Watts
      DVD Player apx 40 Watts
      Sub apx 500 Watts (never driven hard)

Computer, Cable Box, moden, IR/RF repeater ....all run iddle.

At present I have experience no problems. The issue lays in a Buttkicker I ordered which has a 1100 watt amp!! :E

I am using a richard grey power centre, but not sure how or if this helps.

How many watts can come from a 15 amp breaker?

Any feedback would be very helpful.

thanks
      1800watts from a 15A breaker. I have a:

40"LCD
      Denon 4806
      Monster AVS2000/HTPS 7000
      Paradigm Servo-15(v2)
      Toshiba HD A1
      Motorola DCT6412

While watching a movie or tv I use no more than 5A(600watts) at a time. And the audio is plenty loud.

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
        It depends on the wire size - I think 20 amp circuits require 12ga or better. I just installed 2, 15 amp dedicated lines last night and used 12/2 Romex.
        Danish

Comment

• RobP
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

You cant switch a 15 amp circut with a 20 amp breaker, unless you have a full 12ga run on that circut, and unless you can see every inch of wire in that run to confirm that it does, then dont do it. 15 amp circuts run 14ga, and 20 amp circuts use 12ga.
          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• warnerwh
            • Jan 2006

If you installed 12/2 Romex then why use 15 amp breakers? 12ga is code in this country for most all residential runs for a 20 amp circuit.

Comment

• Glen B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by warnerwh
              If you installed 12/2 Romex then why use 15 amp breakers?
              Because one has that option -- 15A receptacles and breaker for "general purpose branch circuits" (i.e., both lights and appliances on the same circuit) and 15A/20A receptacles and 20A breaker for "individual appliance branch circuits." Some electricians are of the "all-12 gauge" school of thought and will install 12 gauge wire for both 15A and 20A circuits. This allows for flexibility later down the line should one decide to "upgrade" to a 20A circuit. 12 gauge wire is also considered to be more efficient all around than 14 gauge.

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

That's basically it, Glen, Thanks!

I don't think I'll need a 20 amp breaker, I may change one of them (that has an amp plugged in, but that's all). The other is only for a projector.
                Danish

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Depends on the voltage.
                  Lets say you have 120 volts, x your 15 amp max breaker. That = 1800 watts max as already stated. 120 volts x 20 amps = 2400 watts max.

As HT addict mentioned, your system wont draw many amps of current, those watt ratings on your equipment you can break down to see the max current draw. You wont be close to that.

50" Plasma apx 500 Watts : 500 watts/120 volts = 4.1 amps
                  Class D Amp apx 400 Watts 400/120 = 3.3 amps
                  Processor apx 40 Watts : = .3 amps
                  DVD Player apx 40 Watts : =.3 amps
                  Sub apx 500 Watts = 4.1 amps

All that added up =12.6 amps MAX (will never draw that much current, not even close) That is at 100% effeciancy. Heat takes away some of that
                  B&W

Comment

• Bent
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2003

the breaker is not there to protect your equipment, it's there to protect your home...
                    a #12 wire should be protected by no larger that a 20 amp breaker and a #14 wire sould be protected by a breaker no larger than a 15 amps.

If a #14 is protected by a 20 amp breaker, then, under heavy loads, the conductor could be allowed to heat faster than it can dissipate the built up heat - this becomes a fire hazard.

Comment

• chasw98
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Some amplifiers will specify a dedicated 20 amp circuit to power them (my Earthquakes being one) and some amps come with dual AC cords to split the load to 2 transformers internally and they require 2 dedicated circuits. I ran 2 #10 with individual neutrals from the panel to Hubbell HG outlets for 2 circuits for the amps and I ran a 3rd 20 amp circuit through my 2000 VA Equi=TECH balanced power transformer for the low level equipment.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Bent
                        the breaker is not there to protect your equipment, it's there to protect your home...
                        Correct, the purpose of breakers/fuses is to protect the wire, nothing more.
                        B&W

Comment

• whoaru99
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                          Depends on the voltage.
                          Lets say you have 120 volts, x your 15 amp max breaker. That = 1800 watts max as already stated. 120 volts x 20 amps = 2400 watts max.

As HT addict mentioned, your system wont draw many amps of current, those watt ratings on your equipment you can break down to see the max current draw. You wont be close to that.

50" Plasma apx 500 Watts : 500 watts/120 volts = 4.1 amps
                          Class D Amp apx 400 Watts 400/120 = 3.3 amps
                          Processor apx 40 Watts : = .3 amps
                          DVD Player apx 40 Watts : =.3 amps
                          Sub apx 500 Watts = 4.1 amps

All that added up =12.6 amps MAX (will never draw that much current, not even close) That is at 100% effeciancy. Heat takes away some of that

Depending on the intended market/region where this equipment is sold, those back panel ratings may or may not reflect the maximum power consumption.

For instance, I have several Yamaha power amps. In the service manual for the M-80 amp, the back panel rating power consumption ranges considerably depending on the marketing/sales region.

Here are the ratings vs. intended market region

USA = 600 Watts
                          Canada = 1100 Watts / 1300 VA
                          Australia/Europe = 1700 Watts
                          "Other" = 850 Watts

So, as you see, a considerable variation in input rating while the output ratings for each model are virtually the same with only a +10 WPC difference at the 4 ohm rating for Australia, Europe, and Others models. I've always assumed that the ability of the 220/240V circuits typical in these countries hold the line voltage at max power just a wee bit better thus the extra 10 WPC into the lower impedance.
                          There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"