X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george_k
    • Jan 2004

Best way to ship heavy sub?

I bought a Servo-15 last summer and its been sitting at my parents place all this time. I was hoping to drive down with my truck next month but I just can't get enough time away from work to make the trip worthwhile.

The item is in BC and I'm currently in Montreal (approximately 4500km distance between the cities)

The overall dimensions of the actual sub are pasted below but with the actual box it'll be slightly bigger and heavier.

Height, Width, Depth
    51 x 46 x 55cm
    20-1/8 x 18-1/8 x 21-1/2in

Weight
    51.7kg / 114 lb each

What would be my next best alternative for shipping this thing? I've seen some of those UPS horror stories...
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

I have shipped alot of raw woofers via UPS and never had a problem, its all in how you pack it, I mount mine to a piece of wood face down to protect the cone, I then wrap the back in heavy bubble wrap, double box, with lots of tape. It will travel fine.
    Last edited by RobP; 21 June 2006, 21:32 Wednesday.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• H.Donald
      • Aug 2004

I have a Servo 15...and looking at the original packing,it would appear to be fairly safe.
      Even if the box is dropped,the sub is wrapped in that heavy styrofoam,which absorbs most of the impact.

Having said that...I would look into a private freight shipping and certainly have it insured.

I am also about to ship a slightly smaller sub,and will rely on it's original packing.

I believe most of these products were shipped at one time or another...they survived once,they can do it again.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Are you willing to gamble a good sub on one box? Don't. At least double-box it and seat it firmly on a small pallet.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• george_k
          • Jan 2004

I e-mailed paradigm to see what they'd suggest and here's what I got back

Hi George

In my opinion, it would probably be best to ship the Servo-15 with your furniture (if you’re shipping any).

A good suggestion to prevent shipping damage is to pack the Servo-15 v.2 (in its original packaging) inside of another very sturdy box with at least 3 inches of styrofoam packing on all sides.

Sincerely,
          Gary Takeda
          Paradigm Technical Support
          The question now is where would I find such a beast of a box

Comment

• Burke Strickland
            • Sep 2001

The question now is where would I find such a beast of a box
            Have one built. A wooden crate would be better for this purpose than a cardboard box of that size.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"