X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • georgev
    • Jul 2004

Windows Media Center and Home Theatre

Need some help here.
    I am building a new home and have been shopping around for multi room audio and video. I have seen the traditional ones like Russound/Niles etc which remain great.
    Now my locel Hi Fi Shop, are marketing going for a server with Windows media center to disribute/store music and video.
    Anyone using such a system and how is the video quality?
    This will do away with the need for a DVD Player as all DVD's will be burned onto a hard drive and played from there.
    Are we there yet with such technology?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

If you want to be there you can Also depending on equipment, you can actually get as good or better PQ with highly customizable scaling. Do keep in mind that the maintenance, software upgrades, virus scans etc you have to do on a normal PC will also apply here. As such it will be a little more high maintenance then typical AV gear but a LOT more customizable and diverse as a result.
    Jason

Comment

• georgev
      • Jul 2004

When you say depending on equipment, will that be the PJ? or what equpiment.
      Will this then make my 3910 redundant?, as all discs will be on a hard drive.
      I appreciate the input which will help me before making a substantial investment into it.
      George.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

One warning. As someone who's done the HTPC thing since way before they had that expression, HTPC DVD software does a pretty good job with film source material, and with the more expensive software players, is fairly tweakable if you need that. BUT, video source material is another matter. Here, simple field combining to make 480P frames from 480i doesn't work well at all. You'll probably want to hold on to your Denon. A good test is the waving flag video segment on the Video Essentials test DVD.

Frankly, for about three years I've been using players with Faroudja de-interlacing and scaling, because much of my DVD viewing is TV shows these days, NOT movies (comes from having lots of TV shows I've never seen but was interested in coming out on DVD, and the general decline in the quality of new movies. Plus, it's easier to make a time commitment to a 45 minute TV show than a two hour movie.)

My current player (since Christmas 2004 when they first came out) is an Oppo Digital DVP971H. Have upgraded the firm ware a few times as they've improved it, but it's the best $200 I've ever spent on video. Used with CRT front projectors, via a DVI to RGBHV converter (active, not a dongle).
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

The new Nvidia cards are supposed to have made quite an improvement on video:

The best streaming media device today with all the amazing features.

When I said depending on equipment I meant depending on the products/software used in the HTPC. For example to get the best video playback IMO you should go with one of Nvidia's better cards. For sound I'd go with something from M-audio or Lynx Studio at the very high end
          Jason

Comment

• Bob Jackson
            • Jan 2006

Sure would love to see this thread continue ................

Bob

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Bob Jackson
              Sure would love to see this thread continue ................

Bob
              What were you wanting to know?
              Jason

Comment

• Bob Jackson
                • Jan 2006

Well, .. really everything.

I've got an existing / working 7.1 surround system, with a native 16:9 PJ. (Sanyo Z2). Just got an Xbox360, and have an operational 3 year old Dell that was semi upgraded when purchaced new. All in the same room. Seems like the next step with my obsession would be traveling down the path of HTPC.

Bob

Comment

• ekkoville
                  • Aug 2004

I think a big benefit and a big burden at the same time is getting control of the functions of the HTPC from any seating position. Is leaning over to a mouse, keyboard, etc., attractive? Or is touchscreen possible from a an armchair seat with the HTPC server in another area? And, how big a server are we talking to store 200 or so DVD's? Probably a terrabyte anyway depending on how compressed you get. HTPC surely gets very custom, but really raises alot of questions in order to do it right.

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by ekkoville
                    I think a big benefit and a big burden at the same time is getting control of the functions of the HTPC from any seating position. Is leaning over to a mouse, keyboard, etc., attractive? Or is touchscreen possible from a an armchair seat with the HTPC server in another area? And, how big a server are we talking to store 200 or so DVD's? Probably a terrabyte anyway depending on how compressed you get. HTPC surely gets very custom, but really raises alot of questions in order to do it right.
                    You pretty well summed it up :B There's a lot of work and customization as well as some trial and error to get things working the way you might like. It's quite the opposite of the usual "plug & play" of normal AV products. Unless of course you get one of the "ready-made" HTPC products from the likes of HP. Which are ok but there sort of the equivelant of a HTIB to HTPC's. Otherwise Bob, you can scrap any idea of modifying your existing Dell, it's more of a start from scratch DIY thing
                    Jason

Comment

• Bob Jackson
                      • Jan 2006

Yea, I was sure it was a start over for the PC thing. Didn't really think this one would do the job. I've got a A/V system that just about has all of the bugs worked out. Small adjustments here and there, maybe some room acustical treatments should be my next endeavor instead.

Though a start might be to get Windows MC, then a monster hard drive. Saw a Dell add with a 1.5 TB drive got me all exited.

What do you really gain, ultimately, with a HTPC versus a system that already displays HD and 7.1. Much? Or just "tweakability".

Not interested in the HTIB version.

Bob

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Versatility basically. It allows you to play games, browse the web, general computing etc as well as acting as a music/media server, scaling DVD player, DVD burner, PVR....

For anything resemling Tb storage space you're also looking at some sort of Raid array. I'd recommend a Raid 5 setup with a combination of 250Gb or larger Sata II drives (I like Samsung's )
                        Jason

Comment

• Bob Jackson
                          • Jan 2006

My room can perform those functions at this point in time. I just have to get out of one chair, across the room to the other chair to do it. Since no lottery has come my way, I believe acustics / tweaking would give me the most bang for the buck.

Thank everybody for your help, see you in the acustic threads

georgev, sorry for hijacking your thread.

Bob

Comment

• georgev
                            • Jul 2004

Not at all, I also gained a fair amount.
                            The local dealer is selling the Raid hard drive, which would store about 750DVD's.
                            My main concern was
                            1. The sound reproduction for the cinema room and
                            2. The video quality via the Projector and via the other displays in other rooms.

Am I better off staying with other products(e.g Russound/Niles), that do it traditionally or should I go with the "new way".

It does seem more versatile and does not seem to need a keyboard and/or mouse but a remote control will do.

perhaps to sum up my question:
                            Do I go for a Windows based Distributed Audio and Video or stay with "older" products?

Lets assume the cost was not a factor(which it is), but based purely on performance.

As I understand it, I would still route the audio through my existing pre/pro and power amps.

Aprreciate your comments and experience.
                            George.

Comment

• ekkoville
                              • Aug 2004

Distributing audio wirelessly with your PC is a cool option. I am using an Airport Express to do that along with Zone 2 on my Pre and it great. You still need amplification to each room and there aren't too many options that sound good. I think that money becomes an issue when you start talking amps.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"