Can I hook up my sub with a 75ohm Component video cable?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Can I hook up my sub with a 75ohm Component video cable?

I need a longer sub cable and instead of buying a "sub cable" i used a component cable...is that ok?
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

That should work fine.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

So, is this component video cable a 3 pronge cable (3 separate strands), and yet you are using 1 strand only, and leaving 2 to what, dangle unhooked? If that's the case, I am going to say, no, not a great idea.

Secondly, a video cable while fine for a sub cable "technically speaking", still is not optimized for carrying analog audio.

I'm in the business, and those are my professional questions/comments.
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Lex
        So, is this component video cable a 3 pronge cable (3 separate strands), and yet you are using 1 strand only, and leaving 2 to what, dangle unhooked? If that's the case, I am going to say, no, not a great idea.

Secondly, a video cable while fine for a sub cable "technically speaking", still is not optimized for carrying analog audio.

I'm in the business, and those are my professional questions/comments.

I had an extra component set that I wasnt using. I dont have 2 cables unhooked, becuase I just took off on cable from the stand.

To your second point the video signal that component cables carry is analog, so im not sure I get your point. Both the sub and video are analog.

Comment

• Fife
          • Apr 2004

Vancouver, You should be fine.

I use a 75ohm Canare for my sub...same type for my component.

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

Yep it should work fine. Secondly it's sub cable not an audio cable. There is far less information being carried to the sub in its limited bandwidth to worry about.

Bottom line, your solution WORKS.

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Actually guys, as the cable pro here, I am going to say this one more time, a sub cable is an audio cable. It's just carrying a different frequency. When I say analog, I mean analog audio, not video, and not designed to carry digital audio, as 75 ohm cable is. Cables to carry video and audio are designed with two distinctly different purposes in mind. Foil shielding while excellent for video noise suppression, can make an audio cable sound worse, and is overkill anyway for most analog audio applications.

Technically, yes, a 75 ohm cable will carry anything a 50 ohm audio cable will. But that does not make it ideal for the job. That also does not mean you could tell a difference in your setup. But I won't stand down on saying all cables are the same, whether video, primary audio, sub, analog, digital, etc... They, and the specifications thereof, simply are not the same.
              Doug

Comment

• Bob Jackson
                • Jan 2006

So.......What do I use to DIY a cable from receiver to amp, and amp to sub.

Bob

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Please post any DIY requests in the DIY area. But welcome to the forum otherwise.

You an use 75 ohm coax with screw on F-type, and RCA to F-type adapters. See Rat shack.

thanks.
                  Doug

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"