X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • H.Donald
    • Aug 2004

The most dreaded words in A/V....

FLOODED BASEMENT!!!!
    This afternoon it poured here.I went down to my basement and there was inches of water on the floor.We have been in this house for about five years now and it has always been dry.Thru heavy rainstorms,blizzards and all other conditions it had been fine.I believe I know the source...there was a huge lake outside the slider which is below ground.I have the sump pump ready.
    Given the tragedy in this country...I am not complaining about a little basement water.But,I do have a couple of questions.There was several inches of water.The unit that has the most chance of being affected is my sub.The water seemed just above it's legs.The woofer seemed dry...and I don't believe the water reached the power cable,input or amp.
    My speakers are on stands and all other equipment was up high.The only things that were on the floor are the speaker and sub cables.These are all water tight...correct???
    And I should be able to fire everything up tomorrow???
    As I said everything sits high up....so all inputs were safe...the only questionable one being the sub.
    All the water is out now and I have the kids using the shop vacs as I write.
    In the long run I am hoping this all just amounts to a pain in the butt.
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Bummer... I would probabaly wait more than a day to fire it up. The bottom of the sub if constructed of MDF (likely) will have swelled from the water.
    Bing

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Ouch. Sorry to hear...

I'm with Bing, the MDF may be soggy, caution there.
      Jason

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Aw Herman, that stinks. At least it doesn't sound like there was any serious damage to anything. Can you unscrew the backplate and let it hang away from the sub's cabinet? That'll help the interior to dry faster if it needs to. I'd give it several days sitting in a dry room (upstairs) before trying it out - say next week some time. The cables MAY be watertight, and again they may not. I'd ask the cable guy....

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Cyclesberuff
          • Jun 2005

wow man sorry to hear about that. i'm not a tech guy but as a painter I can tell you the real culprit might be mold.put any throw rugs out in the sun to dry and try to circulate air through out the lower level.if you need to repaint prime the surface first with Kilnz Stainblocker.good luck

Also if the problem just started as you've been there for sometime and this is the first of it,find the source usually the ground outside washed away leaving a place for water to build up and nowhere to go but down into the foundation. this you can fix by building the groung back up and redirecting the flow of water away from the house.make sure the gutter channels are free of leaves and water drains freely. alot of times blocked up water in gutters cause cascading water to go anywhere but away from the house.keep listenig to good music

Comment

• H.Donald
            • Aug 2004

well,thanks for your sympathies....I thought that I would be able to just shop vac it all up.But,I just found out that there is a pad underneath...I thought it was just the naked floor.The basement was finished when we moved in.Anyway,this is not good news because that pad will retain moisture for sometime...which of course means more mold.Soooo,I guess the carpet will just have to be replaced.

As for the sub,a servo 15...it seems pretty dry,the only real moisture was on the grill.
            Underneath appears very dry....but,I won't be turning on the system for a while.

As I said...all in all,just a pain in the butt...and of course a few dollars to have the carpet replaced.

There is even some good news....on the unfinished side,where my wife the pack rat had old files,junk,stuff and more stuff...a lot of it will have to be tossed.
            So...I'll make lemonade....

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Yessir, lemonade! :T

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

You know there are professional companies for water removal/drying. Since it's a concrete floor, you should be able to use one of them ok. As long as you act QUICKLY.

ServiceMaster comes to mind. There are plenty of others.

Bummer on this event, but don't throw in the towel just yet, they have high power vacs to pull water right out of the pad, so in the end it won't be much more than shampoo cleaned and a little damp. Even professional carpet cleaners alone can clean and extract from floors.

On to problem resolution, the problem could be several fold. You may require digging out some of foundation and re-weatherproof it. You also may need to do a better job of allowing a place for the water to run off. Sometimes, this is done with gravel traps a few feet from the house, that direct water to flow in the trap, to a lower spot away from the house.

Also check gutters to make sure nothing was stopped up allowing more water than normal to backflow against house.
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

Sorry to hear about the water in the basement...that's always been my biggest fear (and always will be) with putting a theater down there... :/

I agree with everyone I would let things dry out for a couple days (equipment and room). I'd even move it to another place in your house that doesn't have the damp/moisture to it to help everything dry out...

Sorry to hear about having to replace the carpet as well... that's a pain and a hefty cost as well.

The wires should be fine, I mean after all most wire manufacturers say they are sealed from air (which air molecules are smaller than water molecules) so there should be no way for the wires to get damaged. You should "theoretically" be able to submerge the wire and no water should get into the wire. I don't advise trying that though. lol

I think your speakers/sub should be okay, hopefully the Servo is treated enough that the water for what time it was in it, didn't do much (if any) damage to it. I'd just let things dry out.

Heck, my friend's computer got flooded in his basement (luckly it was unplugged), and we let it sit for a week with constant air blowing on the internals (left the case open), wouldn't you know, it booted right up like nothing had happened. I was somewhat amazed considering it got up to the processor. It's still working a year later...so I think as long as electricity is not involved, equipment often times can take more than one might expect.
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• rich0372
                    • Jul 2004

Sorry to hear about the water I think about this all the time since my home theater is in the basement also. As far as the carpet it depends on the kind of pad you have under the carpet if it's a felt pad you should be ok they are made to get wet without falling apart you should be able to have a company come in and vac it up and sanitze it If it's the normal padding you will have to replace it GOOD LUCK Rich

Comment

• H.Donald
                      • Aug 2004

Thanks for the tips....when something like this happens you sometimes assume the worst.Which was why I was thinking carpet replacement.But I have a ServiceMaster like company on the way out.They will use their vacs,leave their fans running,add some sort of micro-bio agent and hopefully all should be well after the weekend.

As for the cause...there was a mini-flash flood in several areas here.On the front page of the Cape Cod Times today was a family standing in knee deep water out on their front lawn.They had 5000 dollars in damage to their finished basement.
                      When I first when down to my basement...there was several inches of water there.
                      By the time I had returned from the hardware store most of the water had ran back out and it was just wet.My pump took care of the last bit.We didn't have any rain here for sometime...and then suddenly it was torrential.From now on I will keep a look out in that area....and my pump ready.
                      This weekend we are going to get the tail end of tropical storm Ophelia...so it looks like high winds and rain for much of the cape.I will be standing guard at the slider with pump in hand.
                      Right about now I just need a hot shower as it knocked out my hot water tank.
                      But,what's life without a few lemons....makes you appreciate the better days.

And all my gear looks fine...the sub is not even damp on the bottom....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Sorry to hear about your flooding problem, Herman. The area where my HT is located ( in the basement) had two windows that were below ground level. I discovered this would be a problem shortly after the HT wascompleted. We had a very wet spring that year and water just poured into the windows. The fix was to block-in those windows totally and waterproof the area around the foundation where the windows were located. That was about 12 years ago and I haven't had any water in the basement since ( knock on wood). In the end, it turned out for the better. Now the area in the basement where the HT is located has no windows, so it's total light control-- ideal for a home theater.
                        Good luck on the cleanup and hopefully there will be no, or ,minimal damage to your gear.

Best,
                        George
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

OH, one last tip. Don't let them build this up like they are recovering you from Katrina. If they wont' give you a written cost report up front, thank them for their time and send them on their way. Don't allow them to determine the charge after the fact.

Again, this shoudl not be much if any more than a cleaning. They frequently include a bio agent after cleaning carpet, so that's not a big deal either.
                          Doug
                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• H.Donald
                            • Aug 2004

Thanks,words to the wise....

Not sure what I can do to assure this does not happen again.It was a tremendous amount of rain in a very short period of time.And if you look at the location of my slider....perhaps an in-ground pump outside?
                            Attached Files

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Not a very good location for a slider, that's for sure.
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

You could pull up the 2x6s and gravel, and put in a French-drain. The excavating costs would run a fair amount - either in money or sore back muscles.

Comment

• Snap
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Feb 2005

David-Good idea, a french drain would work perfectly there. :agree: it would put a dent in the pocket book that is for sure.
                                  The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Azeke
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2003

Herman,

You have my sincere condolences for such a terrible mishap.

Here is a little something that will perhaps keep things in perspective for you.

The 'L I T T L E' things ! .

As you might know, the head of a company survived
                                    9-11 because his son started kindergarten.

Another fellow was alive because it was
                                    his turn to bring donuts.

One woman was late because her
                                    alarm clock didn't go off in time.

One was late because of being stuck on the NJ Turnpike
                                    because o f an auto accident.

One of them
                                    missed his bus.

One spilled food on her clothes and had to take
                                    time to change.

One's
                                    car wouldn't start.

One went back to
                                    answer the telephone.

One had a
                                    child that dawdled

and didn't get ready as soon as he should have.

One couldn't
                                    get a taxi.

The one that struck me was the man

who put on a new pair of shoes that morning,

took the various means to get to work

but before he got there, he developed

a blister on his foot.

He stopped at a drugstore ! to buy a Band-Aid. !
                                    That is why he is alive today.

Now when I am

stuck in traffic,

miss an elevator,

turn back to answer a ringing telephone...

all the little things that annoy me.

I think to myself,

this is exactly where
                                    God wants me to be

at this very moment..

Next time your morning seems to be

going wrong,
                                    the children are slow getting dressed,

you can't seem to find the car keys,

you hit every traffic light, !

don't get mad or frustrated;

God is at work watching over you.

May God continue to bless you

with all those annoying little things

and may you remember their possible purpose.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• H.Donald
                                      • Aug 2004

Thank you Azeke,that was very touching.Looking at this little incident...I have lost nothing,when they make the movie of my life it will not even rate a mention.

My hot water tank is even filled with hot water again....

I live in an area where some people have a great deal of money...I don't happen to be one of those people.But I noticed that whenever I have need a service...the prices are out of sight.Example...when I wanted my house painted,the first few estimates were over 10,000 dollars.I shoped around and wound up paying less than half that.
                                      I guess they are just use to rich folks saying yes and writing the check....
                                      Well,this afternoon the ServiceMaster like company comes out to dry my carpet.
                                      Before starting he is there with the calculator...always a bad sign.....he presents me with a bill for 1,359 dollars!!!!
                                      Lex,I thought of your line....actually,I used it....."this is not to clean up from Katrina!!"....not to make light of a tragedy...but over 1,300!!!!
                                      And then they start to negotiate...."oh we don't have to do this,or that".....
                                      Which made me think...new carpet...

Bottom line I wound up having them rip up the carpet and pad,spray some snake oil for 75 dollars,which is what the service charge was.

My wife has already ordered new carpet and they are coming middle of next week.

David,that French drain sounds great,but as you said costly.....
                                      I am thinking that this was a one time event.....and if I am wrong,well,this time I will not have a pad under the carpet and will be able to dry it.Of course afterwards,I'll be out digging my French drain...

Thanks all for your kind words and support...you have really made it all easier.

Hmmm....I had to take all my gear down in order to clear the room,could be a good time to upgrade...something....maybe a new rack??

Comment

• David Meek
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

Oooh, a new rack is always a nice thing! :T Especially when you have an excuse, I mean reason to upgrade.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                          • Sep 2001

Sorry for your flood misfortune and glad you are finding ways to make things better. But I thought the two most dreaded words in A/V were: "Too LOUD!" :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• H.Donald
                                            • Aug 2004

Drat!!!!....found some of my equipment boxes wet....

Comment

• H.Donald
                                              • Aug 2004

As for too loud...at least you can control that,especially if it is you youngest daughter upstairs listening to Avril Lavigne....or the china is rattling because you son is playing Play Station 2 downstairs....

Comment

• aphexist
                                                • Jan 2004

I had a similar experience when my apartment flooded recently. I lost my front L/R, my subwoofer, two nice amps, my pre/pro, and all of my vinyl. After wiping the crud off of everything it looks fine (except for the cabinets of the speakers), but I am having a hard time chucking it in the growing trash pile outside of my apartment.

Comment

• H.Donald
                                                  • Aug 2004

Sorry to hear of your losses.I'm sure you are having a much more difficult time than I am.Hope your life returns to normal soon...

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jan 2001

Hope things get better for you, Trey.
                                                    My Homepage!

Comment

• bigburner
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • May 2005

Originally posted by H.Donald
                                                      Looking at this little incident...I have lost nothing,when they make the movie of my life it will not even rate a mention.
                                                      Well said H.Donald!

These days whenever I have a problem I ask myself whether my life or the lives of my family are at risk as a result of the problem. The inevitable answer of 'no' helps to put my problem into perspective.

... none of which diminishes the pain-in-the-arse predicament you find yourself in at the moment.

Comment

• H.Donald
                                                        • Aug 2004

Thanks bigburner....even the pain in the butt has subsided,as I write the new carpet is being laid and new audio cabinets will be here on Friday.
                                                        I am looking forward to the room's new look...

And I have even figured out the cause of the flood...all I will say is thankfully it has to do with our stupidity and not a flaw in the design of the house.And most importantly the remedy does not cost a thing.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Jan 2001

What was the cause, Herman ?
                                                          My Homepage!

Comment

• H.Donald
                                                            • Aug 2004

Wild horses couldn't drag it out of me...you can put bamboo shoots under my nails and I won't talk....

Alright I'll tell you...if you look at the pictures I posted,you can see the planks I laid down in front of the door.They were very close together and with dirt over the years there was no space between them.They were laid over the stones,which of course were there for drainage.Combine a tremendous downpour with my planks...which was now acting like a funnel thru the partially open door....you have a soaked basement ops:

I have now removed the boards....and am free for public flogging.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Jan 2001

Well, on the positive side, you now won't have future flooding problems, Herman.
                                                              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"