X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • senorjim
    • Nov 2004

Vienna Haydn what sub???

I need some advice, what woofer do you recommend for the Haydn speakers? As of now, I only have two setup to a B&K 507S1. Later I plan to get a few more Vienna speakers.

My room is 22x12 and the price I am looking is around $2K. Any advice is well appreciated.
  • Patt
    • Feb 2005

Hello Jaime,

I dont have any experience with them but have read good things about REL subwoofers.

<edited>
    Cant remember exactly what it was but the Velodyne DD series and Martin Logan subs share something in common that is supposed to be good also.
    Last edited by Patt; 03 May 2005, 10:58 Tuesday.
    ......Pat

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The DD series subs from Velodyne are servo-controlled and have a built-in proprietary room equalization system that has gotten very positive reviews. Being a Velodyne owner (FSR-15) I can vouch for the sonic- and build-quality of their upper-end products, and I can only imagine what a well-equalized Vel would shound like.
      :drool:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• senorjim
        • Nov 2004

Thank you for those who responded... At first the woofer I was considering was the REL or the Martin Logan (Grotto), but after reading the reviews in the forums I've changed my mind. The reason, acoording to the reviews & the local dealer they have mentioned the REL is a very good woofer but expensive because of where it is shipped from (pay more because of freight charges). The Martin Logan was the first woofer I got to listen they sounded nice but for 10" they really didnt move me... I dont know if its because it is a servo-woofer or just too small.

I have heard great reviews about the DD Velodyne, unfortunately I will have to find a dealer that sells them in my area. If not, I will have to mail order if I decide to purchase them. Also, have any of your heard the SVS or HSU woofers? Are they as musical as the Velodyne or the Rel's?

Is there a possibility of having too much woofer (big box) if you have small speakers?

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

Originally posted by senorjim
          Also, have any of your heard the SVS or HSU woofers? Are they as musical as the Velodyne or the Rel's?
          I have not heard, but have certainly "heard of" HSU. Their owners are typically, and very vocally, pleased with their purchase. Of course, the SVS owners are hardly reticent either. I have heard several SVS subwoofers in different home installations. Properly set up and adjusted to blend in with the rest of the system, the SVS subs are excellent performers on both music and movies. The cylinders are a great value, but BIG. So if WAF is a consideration, the less obtrusive box-style Velo models would probably be a better bet.

The box-style SVS models are undoubtedly good, too, but I haven't actually heard those to confirm that. I don't have to worry about WAF in my dedicated HT but despite that I am using a box-style Velo FSR-18 (chosen for performance not cosmetics) which is fairly compact, given its air moving properties. But I guess it has been rejected as "too big" by some finicky wives anyway.

Originally posted by senorjim
          Is there a possibility of having too much woofer (big box) if you have small speakers?
          There really isn't such a thing as "having" too much woofer; the problem is USING too much woofer. Get a subwoofer that will fill the room with clean, accurate, solid, authoritative bass and if it has the capability to overpower everything else, just keep it turned down to a level that is in balance with the rest of the system. (If the rest of the system can't keep up with a high quality commercial sub, then it is time to upgrade the rest of the system.) :>)

Enjoy -

Burke

BTW -- if you'd tell us in general terms where you are located, we might be able to help you find a place to audition and perhaps even buy the (non-mail order) speakers you are interested in.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• senorjim
            • Nov 2004

Thanks Burke for the information... I am located in San Antonio, TX and there is place that sells the Velodyne. Unfortunately, they do not have the DD or the FSR series in stock. If you know a few places where I can audition them, please let me know.

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

Also, have any of your heard the SVS or HSU woofers? Are they as musical as the Velodyne or the Rel's?
              Very much so. ALot more bang for your buck if you decide to go the Hsu/SVS route. While Rel's are nice for 2 channel, they are severely lacking for HT.

I've heard the higher end Martin Logan subs but I wasn't too impressed especially for the money.

My friend replaced his HGS15 Velodyne with an SVS tube setup and the difference is astronomical. The SVS was far better in every area. The ultra models for SVS have an EQ built into them but they are not quite as good as the one that Velo is including. They are also offering this Velodyne eq to be added on to any other subwoofer for $500 or so coming soon.

One of the other bigger reasons I prefer HSu/SVS options are because of the service. It is top notch. I've never experienced that same level of service from a store or a manufacturer like that.

Comment

• Radec
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                Very much so. ALot more bang for your buck if you decide to go the Hsu/SVS route. While Rel's are nice for 2 channel, they are severely lacking for HT.
                Severly lacking is tough for me to swallow. When auditioning some Vienna Accoustics last weekend I got a taste of REL as they were the subs used in the system. We played Gladiator and I gotta say lacking they were definitely not. It was every bit as powerful as my SVS in my HT.
                Value though, I paid under $700 while the REL sub system (2 different subs) would easily be $3.5k+.

Originally posted by Shane Martin
                One of the other bigger reasons I prefer HSu/SVS options are because of the service. It is top notch. I've never experienced that same level of service from a store or a manufacturer like that.
                This I 100% agree with. SVS was a pleasure to work with and for the price there is noting that even comes close.

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

I come from a line of SVS subwoofers. They are wonderful and one of the best subs for their prices. Definitely tops. They are definitely a better home theater subwoofer though. For musicality, and it's been argued by both sides, but the general consensus is that HSU are slightly better for musical reproduction, and SVS is better for HT production.

SVS has the knack for going deep where HSU has a little more in the upper realm of the 30+Hz range. Gives it a little more kick that people like in their musical subs.

If you do 50/50 music/HT listening, then I think you won't be disappointed with either SVS or HSU. If you do more music, HSU might suit you better (but be prepared to by two HSU subs to equal what one typical SVS does...but they equal out on price). If you do more HT listening, then SVS is more the way to go to get that deep <20Hz stuff that a lot of the movies are putting in these days to really shake things.

Rel and Velodyne are equally as good, but far more in the price range. Velodynes are better for HT viewing, Rel is better for music.
                  Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                  -Dan

Comment

• senorjim
                    • Nov 2004

Thank you for the information... I will definitely look into the HSU or SVS woofers, especially if I could save money comparing to the REL and the Velodyne.

The style will most likely be a box style because size does matter... I dont want to have a huge cylinder or two woofers since I dont have the space. As you can see my room is only 22X12 and unfortunately the 12 ft is the side the sofa is facing the TV/Stereo. Do you think the SVS PB12-Plus or PB12-Ultra will be enough for my room size to get enough bass or can a smaller woofer accomplish it?

Please advice

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

My friend's room is 24 x 20, sitting on a concrete slab with only 4 doors in the room (three of which are closed off normally and one is opened). I had my SVS PC+20-39 in his room in the corner and it did an amazing job. In fact it knocked a few knick-knacks he had on a shelf in the upstairs on the other side of the house (probably about 20ft over and on the second floor. We went up stairs and his mom was there at the time watching TV up there and she said their huge mirror above the fireplace was literally bouncing off the wall, she thought it was even going to come crashing down. Now this was listening at slightly above normal levels with The Haunting.

And we both admitted that we had our pant legs move from those scenes in there. Which I was suprised considering I thought the room was too large.

I can guarantee that the PB12-Plus or Ultra will have no problems in your room unless you listen to stuff extremely loud and have to have everything moving.

Best thing to do though is e-mail ron and tom at SVS and give them a diagram of your room and they will tell you where and which one to get. If something like a PB12-ISD would better suit your room, they will tell you that and won't steer you towards the more expensive units. Though they will tell you that upgradeitis could kick in and the Plus or Ultra would do better.

I have to say that I absolutely love the ultra drivers, it creates such definition in the lower realms of the audio spectrum. For instance, a car exploding sounds like a car exploding and a landslide sounds like a landslide. I just never knew there was actually "character" or "texture" to the low frequency sounds...but there definitely is. So that is something to consider. Plus the furniture grade cabinets can be made to match your Vienna's, just ask them about it!
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"