Are you upgrading your titles from DVD to Blu-ray?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Are you upgrading your titles from DVD to Blu-ray?

How many of you HTGuide members are buying Blu-ray versions of the titles you already own on DVD? How impressed are you with the upgrade – hugely, moderately or just slightly, or does it depend on the title? Is the improvement you notice most in the audio or the video or both? Do any of you still prefer DVD?

I have started a process of upgrading the concerts I really like. I own about 800 music DVDs and I now have about 20 Blu-ray titles that I already own on DVD. I’m now pausing to reflect on how far I should go with my replacement programme.

With 20 Blu-ray discs I’m starting to form some firm opinions about the Blu-ray format compared to DVD but I’m interested to hear what you guys think.

Nigel.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I generally only upgraded my favorite movies and those discs that could benefit from the high def treatment. Stuff like the Matrix and such, and when I buy new titles, I definitely buy on BD. Then there's stuff like Warner Brothers doing the DVD 2 Blu where you can trade in titles for $5 each. Generally, that's worth it to me. But I haven't come anywhere close to upgrading the rest of my library.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I upgrade if a reviewer I trust notes a significant increase in PQ (if it is a title I consider important enough), if there are new supplements (especially if they are work-related); if the BD is very inexpensive. I don't do it for all titles, of course, but I probably do it more than I expected to initially. Unless the DVD is something I need for work (I use films in class and my school doesn't have BD players hooked up to the displays in the classrooms) OR it contains a supplement that I consider valuable and it is not on the BD release, I gift the DVD to friends and family.

Comment

• Lex
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Apr 2001

I rarely seem to view my old DVDs now to much now, so I haven't went backwards on to many titles. Occasionally, I'll find a title for a film I enjoyed and the price says buy me. So I pick it up. Then there's a few that I'd like to have, that just never seem to show up. I recently purchased Terminal Velocity, an old Charlie Sheen film. Great soundtrack, action adventure, so when I saw it on BD, I picked it up. I'm not sure how much better PQ was, maybe a little bit. I've done few side by side comparisons though. Someday when I have time, maybe I will do some comparisons.
        Doug
        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

I rarely rent BD's because I cannot copy them yet to watch at a later date. I use dvd-rw's and once they have been watched, I write over them. There are almost no movies nowadays that I would want to see more than once. I rent 3 dvd movies at a time because it's cheaper that way and there's no way I'm watching 3 movies in a day!!. However, every time I do spin a BD, I am of course very impressed with the quality across the board....specifically the audio quality. I'm big on audio so the difference for me is quite profound!!. I'm not sure however, that I would replace a dvd movie with a BD just for that increase in quality. I would like to see more concerts on BD and in that case, I would definitely buy them. Sadly, there are very few concerts in that format. Even today, there are new concerts on DVD that are not simultaneously pressed on BD for whatever reason!!. One concert that I would love to see pressed to BD format is Diana Krall's "Live in Paris" concert!. Sounds and looks beautiful on DVD and I could only imagine what it would look and sound like in BD format. But alas.....Nope....no BD available!!.
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

I've re-bought a few favorites and must-haves on BD but for the majority of my collection, the older movies are fine on DVD.

New stuff I rent or buy on BD though (we still have a Blockbuster in town). Except for some older TV shows/series like Looney Tunes box sets, those are fine on DVD, and I don't think they exist on BD anyway.

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

I've replaced my favorites... but won't go back and replace them all. Honestly, with using XBMC to play my DVDs... they don't look that bad, they aren't HD...but it's enough that with a decent movie you sort of forget. All new movies that I'd really like are definitely done in HD... but even that is starting to wear off on me. My favorite thing is having everything instantly available to me in my library and being able to just play any of them on a whim.

I definitely would be willing to pay a little more... and get a "upgrade for life" type of thing where I'd then only have to pay say a couple $$ to change over my titles to HD and eventually 4 or 8K... Sort of like upgrading software... give me a discount! I mean you're (the production companies) are just making money on top of money already made.
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                • Sep 2001

With over a thousand DVD titles on my shelves, and not much time to watch movies these days (or nights), I am limiting BluRay purchases to just a few classics that will really benefit from the update (since a lot of the DVDs look pretty good upscaled by my Oppo player, they won't be replaced by BluRay) and new favorites not already represented in my collection.

For example, although I needed the BluRay of Outland because the DVD transfer was such garbage and had to have BluRay Lawrence of Arabia (because it is my all time favorite movie, not because the DVD looked bad), as much as I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I have not yet sprung for the Extended Edition BluRays, opting instead to invest in recent titles such as Argo, Skyfall and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

I have not seen Argo Burke, but is it a title for re watching that much you think? I just get the feeling it might be a movie better left to see once or twice. I could be wrong of course, I know it was well acclaimed. I haven't seen the Hobbit either, though I would appreciate seeing both films. I did get Skyfall, it was a must have for my Bond collection, which I did get.

I had a few bond movies go missing, and it only made sense to have the complete collection up to this point. of course, there will be other singles to add later, or a Bond collection 2 someday maybe? I hope they don't wait 50 years.
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

I watched Argo twice in a row. It was good, but wasn't really worth the re-watch I think.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

I'll be watching it quite a bit, for professional reasons, but otherwise I think it's the kind of film you'd revisit once every five years or so--when the details have become a bit hazy in your mind (most thrillers--based on real life or not--benefit from a good interval between viewings. Comedy and action can withstand shorter intervals much more readily).

Comment

• mjb
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Ovation
                        ... I think it's the kind of film you'd revisit once every five years or so...
                        Good luck with that, every five years the media format seems to change!
                        - Mike

Main System:
                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

... what, you guys aren't still watching "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" on Betamax?
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• mjb
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                            ... what, you guys aren't still watching "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" on Betamax?
                            hehe, if only... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monty-Python...:B:SHOP:US:101
                            - Mike

Main System:
                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Ovation
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

Certainly not. I've got a Super 8mm print that I pop into the film projector.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

My personal preference?

A Veiwmaster, of course!

_

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                  My personal preference?

A Veiwmaster, of course!

I loved those things.....kinda' like an old fashioned 3D kinda thing!!.
                                  Dan Madden :T

Comment

• impala454
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2007

I used to be gung ho about upgrading my old movies but eh, no big deal to me now. I may do it if I find a good deal.
                                    -Chuck

Comment

• bigburner
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

I started this thread and reading through it now I'm getting the impression that you guys think Blu-ray is nice to have but not essential. Does that sum it up?

Nigel.

Comment

• Ovation
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2004

I always buy the BD of something I don't have if it is available. If my collection was smaller, I would likely upgrade all my DVDs to BDs (again, if available). Given its size, I'm a bit more selective for upgrades. But I do think a hi-def format is essential to my overall enjoyment of my home cinema.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2006

I have not purchased a DVD in ages.
                                          Still do not have a BR player, my Oppo 970 is working fine for the occasional times it is used exclusively for watching movies.
                                          Though I may get a somewhat higher resolution from a BR on my 42" plasma TheWife & I are content with the current system.
                                          2 ch music is still the priority in our humble abode.
                                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Dec 2000

Nigel, yeah, I don't think that's entirely accurate. Like others, I would say that if I buy a movie, I ALWAYS buy the BD. Yes, the extra audio and video quality is ABSOLUTELY worth it to me, to pay the extra cost. But movies that I already own on DVD, some of them have been worth it to me to completely re-buy on BD. Some are not, based on their lower importance to me, and/or lower quality of the films themselves. If I find a good enough price, sure, I'll upgrade them to BD.
                                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • May 2005

Originally posted by Ovation
                                              I always buy the BD of something I don't have if it is available. If my collection was smaller, I would likely upgrade all my DVDs to BDs (again, if available). Given its size, I'm a bit more selective for upgrades. But I do think a hi-def format is essential to my overall enjoyment of my home cinema.
                                              I agree with all that.

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • May 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                                2 ch music is still the priority in our humble abode.
                                                It is in my humble abode too Bill. Blu-ray for me is primarily about 2-channel music audio (with clear pictures showing me how they do it).

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2005

Like others, I would say that if I buy a movie, I ALWAYS buy the BD. Yes, the extra audio and video quality is ABSOLUTELY worth it to me, to pay the extra cost. But movies that I already own on DVD, some of them have been worth it to me to completely re-buy on BD. Some are not, based on their lower importance to me, and/or lower quality of the films themselves. If I find a good enough price, sure, I'll upgrade them to BD.
                                                  I agree with all that too.

We are all in agreement (and setting a good example for the rest of the world).

Nigel.

Comment

• eyekode
                                                    • Jun 2008

I am pretty much over owning physical media. When I rent movies I always rent the BD. It is a huge difference on a large screen (105" projection).

Most other viewing I use... Streaming. Netflix quality is quite amazing these days! And Amazon prime is not far off.
                                                    Salem

Comment

• mjb
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by eyekode
                                                      I am pretty much over owning physical media.
                                                      Me too, but my alternatives are limited. I'll just buy BD's of things I really want to keep - or, at least until the next "must have" format comes along.
                                                      - Mike

Main System:
                                                      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

Working...
                                                      😀
                                                      😂
                                                      🥰
                                                      😘
                                                      🤢
                                                      😎
                                                      😞
                                                      😡
                                                      👍
                                                      👎
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"