X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jrd
    • Dec 2003

Connecting a sub

I'm finally about to add a powered sub to my current setup, and am wondering about the connection. Most of the cables I've seen have just a single RCA connection on each end, but I've heard there can be a 3 to 10 db increase in sub performance if I used a "Y" connection on the sub end and plugged into both the L and R line inputs on the sub. Anyone have any experience with this???
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hello jrd, welcome to the Guide!

I have done this in the past. Got 3db. Never heard of the 3-10 db increase though. I think you'll be okay with the Y connection.

Have fun!
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• ajpoe
      • Jul 2004

do you mean running a single RCA from LFE out and connecting it to the left and right inputs of the sub with a Y adapter? i have never heard of this... may be i should try it.
      AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• nyny
        • Jul 2004

Hi jrd,

I have recently made the same change to my sub connection (LFE out from my processor into L+R inputs for the sub via y-adaptor) and noticed a 4db increase in the sub's sound level (tested with my trusty Radioshack SPL meter). This is one of the set-up suggested in the Velodyne sub manual. Here is what I have:

- Velodyne SPL1200 II Sub
        - Cobalt Cable Subwoofer cable and y-adaptor.

Hope this helps.
        Tony

Comment

• brucek
          HTG Expert
          • Aug 2000

This tweak is a bit of a non event. Splitting the input to the L/R combiner of a sub does indeed increase the voltage available by 6dB, but then you must subsequently dial down the input gain control (read input attenuator control) to recalibrate your sub to its previous room calibration. Nothing has really changed.

I suppose there are a couple of situations where this may be considered an advantage.
          One, would be where you had the input attenuator control on your sub dialed up to a maximum and you still weren't able to get enough voltage level from your preamp - and two, where your automatic power on sensor was a bit insensitive and was shutting down your sub inappropriately. This may help depending on where they sample the audio input level.....

Comment

• jrd
            • Dec 2003

Thanks

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate all of you for taking the time to respond.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"