X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hamlyn
    • Jul 2004

HT Setup and Speaker Calibration

I have a new ROTEL system.
    I am looking for information on setting up and calibrating my HT Speakers and sub. Do you have any leads to threads or links to detailed instructions?

Thanks
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by hamlyn
    I have a new ROTEL system.
    I am looking for information on setting up and calibrating my HT Speakers and sub. Do you have any leads to threads or links to detailed instructions?

Thanks
    Yep, try this URL:

This should get you started,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Another great thing to do is purchase a copy of Digital Video Essentials or AVIA which walk you through setting up both your audio and video systems for the best results

You'll also need an SPL meter (Radioshack) to properly and accurately set your speaker levels.

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• hamlyn
        • Jul 2004

Thanks

I have the Radio Shack SPL Meter and the DVE disk.

Thanks all for the valuable info and link

H

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Hamlyn,

Some extra tips:

Take the time to get the speaker distances excactly right - it makes all the difference to a 3D sound stage. Pick the centre listenning postion in front of the TV and measure it to the nearest 30cm (1ms) for ALL speakers incuding the subwoofer.

With the DVE Disk take the time to set different levels for Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Pro-Logic (your Rotel probably supports it) - they often are a little different (depending on the decoding).

Male sure you use the C weighting and slow setting on the Radioshack meter.

Don't set the sub "hot" make it flat

Geoff

Comment

• DennisR
            • Jul 2004

Out of curiousity, why do you recommend that? I haven't played with the sub settings (yet) but am very curious about it.

Comment

• hamlyn
              • Jul 2004

The reason I originally posted this request was because I did not feel that my two front speakers were "balanced."
              I have discovered that in order to bring the front left and right speakers to the same level, I have to add +7 db to the front right channel.
              Is this normal or acceptable??

Thanks for your feedback

H
              Last edited by hamlyn; 21 July 2004, 00:37 Wednesday.

Comment

• Toolatecrew
                • Apr 2004

That's not "normal" in my experience. 7 db is a huge difference between fronts.

Even room factors PROBABLY wouldn't cause that.

Please tell us more about what equipment, speakers etc. you have. My guess with limited info so far ?

Try testing with both DVE AND internal test tones on your Rotel. If DVE gives you a 7 db difference but the internal tones are a lot less than 7db the issue iis likley with your DVD, connections etc. If the difference is 7 db (or close) with both DVE and test tones then you might have problems with pre pro, amp (some amps have a gain control on the back (my parasound does) and if they are not all turned to the same levels this would explain a lot) or connections.

Something is not quite right here. Try also measuring the levels from maybe some differnt areas of the room just in case you are getting a really crazy reflection or room effect (long shot though)

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Yeah 1 or 2 maybe even three dB is fairly normal due to room characteristics but 7 would have to be a pretty extreme difference from one side to the other. Sounds like an equipment problem, ditto on the double checks.

Jason
                  Jason

Comment

• markusp
                    • Jul 2004

This is just a guess but you may have a blown tweeter. I had a similar situation with a paradigm cc-370 I once had. My dealer switched out the tweeter and bingo - problem solved :B This aparently was the result of my old receiver being driven too hard and I damaged the speaker. Good news is, I had the tweeter replaced for free.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2003

Hamlyn,

The suggestion re the blown tweeter is a good one and reminds me of another possibility. On my old stereo system I had this effect and it turned out to be a electrolitic capacitor in the crossover going faulty (way out of spec) which dropped the speaker levels of the HF. The repair shop siad this was quite common! Easy to test, play a stereo or mono signal (or the test tones) through just the left speaker and just the right - if the tonal chararcter changes a lot between them - you have a problem with the speaker with the 7dB drop (which seems very likely to me)!

Geoff

Comment

• hamlyn
                        • Jul 2004

Thanks to all that responded.
                        I have already had to return the original Rotel receiver as it kept shutting down intermittently, so I really was not in a mood to do the same with the replacement unit.

So it turns out that I do not have a blown tweeter on the Gallo Due Speaker, but mismatched impedance levels on the speakers. I have a pair of Gallo Dues rated at 4 Ohm and another rated at 8 Ohm.

Anthony Gallo acoustics manufactured 4 Ohm speakers until about a year ago and changed to 8 Ohm impedance. According to gallo, they received numerous complaints as most people that bought them did not own equipment that was capable of driving 4 Ohm speakers.
                        What are the chances that a dealer will have speakers in stock from over a year ago?

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

If your dealer doesn't have them, check with Gallo direct. They should be able to check their inventory (nation or world-wide) and locate another 4-ohm unit for you. Or, have you considered going to an all 8-ohm set? That might be more easily done - especially if you can work a deal with your salesman or Gallo.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• hamlyn
                            • Jul 2004

Given the option, I would much rather get my hands on a 4 Ohm replacement as the Rotel is quite capable of driving it.

But if that does not work, then I will have to consider going to 8 Ohm loads all the way around.

Do you have any experience with Gallo? If so, what is your experience like?

Comment

• hamlyn
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                              Hamlyn,

Geoff
                              What do you mean by "hot" or flat. Where is this setting?

Thanks

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                                • Jan 2002

When you get ready to start smoothing out the response of your sub you can check out the BFD link in my sig. You might want to see if you pick you up a BFD... they are fairly inexpensive and well worth it.

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

What do you mean by "hot" or flat. Where is this setting?
                                  Hot, means to set the volume up higher than the standard level you'll get with the Video Essentials or AVIA disc. Flat, of course means to set it at the standard level.

Starting at the flat point is the best strategy IMO. Listen to several soundtracks that you are very familiar with - give it a couple of days of extended listening if you can - and decide if that is the "best" volume setting for your sub. It may take some getting used to as there is a tendency to run subs hot simply because people enjoy extra bass - especially in movies. After you've settled in with the flat setting, you may still decide you need to bump it upward a bit (or even downward). That's okay, it's your system, set where you like it the best.

Do you have any experience with Gallo? If so, what is your experience like?
                                  Unfortunately, no. I've not had the pleasure of listening to the Gallos. All I can go by is the almost uniformly positive things I've heard about them.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"