X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bing Fung
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

When to Put Sub Out of Phase?

I have moved my sub to the back of the listening room as I don't have enough room up front. Should I be placing my sub out of phase for this position?

I have switch back and forth in phase, but don't seem to notice a difference. If there was I would give the slight edge to the sub in phase.

What should the distance be set to if it's right beside my couch... 0 - 2 feet? The distance to the front wall and back (15 feet)?
    Bing
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Here's my suggestion......

Set the distance the same as you would if the sub were in the normal position.

Now try playing with the phase. What your listening for with the phase is if the bass becomes louder.

If there's no difference change the distance are repeat the process.

Not really scientific but the best idea I have....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bing Fung
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Aug 2000

THanks Thomas, I wil try that :T
      Bing

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Bing!

Put that sub right up to sofa....

It will rock your world! It's what I call Dynamic Slam!

Also....technically speaking it should be set to 180 when it is in front of the mains .....

Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• brucek
          HTG Expert
          • Aug 2000

Bing,

It's generally accepted that locating your sub in a corner is best. You'll excite every reasonance in the room and the acoustic coupling will be the greatest. That said, I don't think anyone can make any meaningful prediction about the optimum phase setting for your sub. The interaction of the room itself combined with the wavelength distances of the sub from the listener and mains speakers will all contribute to a difficult unpredictability that mathematics can't really solve on its own.

Phase shift becomes a problem when two sources are mixed, whether electrically on a wire or in the air as sound pressure. If you have two signals 180 degrees (worse case) out of phase, you will have complete cancellation at that point. This is the reason it's fairly important to ensure your mains speaker connections are 'in-phase', because there's a very good chance that they'll be producing the same signal, and if it's 180 degrees out of phase, there will be cancellation problems.

With regard to a sub when using bass management, the phase is only significant around the crossover where the mains and sub are producing the 'same' frequencies. You don't want them out of phase and acoustically cancelling each other at that point. Certainly when the sub is acting alone in mono (for example, an octave below crossover), the phase control has no effect on what you hear.

My feeling is that the only accurate method to set the phase control is by trial and error with a frequency response test while sitting in your usual listening position driving the sub and mains in concert. If you have a phase switch, simply try it in both positions and see which is more favourable once the response is graphed. If your phase control is variable, try several settings and use the one with the best response around the crossover.

I'm sure you already know this since you have a BFD, but for those who don't, you can do a response check from 16Hz to 160Hz at 1/6 octaves, at about a level of 85dB to 90dB SPL taken with a Radio Shack SPL meter at your normal prime listening position using a source of a CD playing 5 second sine wave tones .. (Be sure to use the correction constants for the Radio Shack meter for 1/6 octaves).

There is good information and an Excel graphing tool on Sonnie Parkers site (listed below) which has the graphs all pre-done including compensation correction for the SPL meter: The site is dedicated to a BFD equalizer, but the information is still very useful if you're doing a response on your system.

Myself, I use the tone generator below to make my 5 second tones...

FREE tone generator listed below - save the tones in five second files and burn them on a CDR.

http://www.nch.com.au/action/index.html ....scroll down to audio software / NCH Tone Generator

but you can also use the tones on Sonnies site at http://www.snapbug.ws/sinewaves.

Once you've done a response of your system and graphed it, you'll be able to tell what's happening with the different phase settings a lot better than relying on your ears and playing music.......

brucek

Comment

• Bing Fung
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

Excellent information Bruce... :T

Its amazing all these simple tools a person has at his disposal and how soon we (I) forget how to use them :roll: I will start getting that set up... I don't have a useable corner at this time, however I may try to rearrange the furniture to see if I can grab a corner. If I could get one, it would still be opposite of the mains.

Thanks for the links.

Bam, sort of like a cheap tactile transducer huh? :W
            Bing

Comment

• Bam!
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bing Fung

Bam, sort of like a cheap tactile transducer huh? :W

:yesnod: :roflmao:
              Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"