X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff Hartford
    • Jul 2003

Home theater primer

Hello all- Is there any favorite site or forum that you would recommend for getting a basic start on designing, implementing a home theater. Was just given the run of the basement from my wife- no doubt to get me out of the family room. Very large basement with alot of open area, but I believe ideally a room that is currently a "pool" room that can be taken over. The room is approx 12-13' wide and 18+ feet deep. Ceiling is just under 9'. Already have Rotel RSP-985, RMB-1095, NHT 2.4 VT's and VS's, biamped front with NHT SA-3, soon to have Denon 2900. Am considering a plasma screen but have been very interested in all the ruckus about some very reasonably priced, strong performing front projectors like the Infocus X1, and some of the Epson and Sharp machines. As durability seems to be the plasma Achilles heel, might it be a better investment in the long run to use a projector (am in a low light to no light setting as desired)?

Where can I go to get recommendations on acoustic damping, ideal room dimensions, standing wave issues, and even a primer on front projectors as I have not even a modicum of knowledge on them?

Would also be GROSSLY remiss if I did not mention I also have an assortment of kick-ass interconnects Lex made up for me. Am still waiting to hook them up but the build quality is obviously excellent and he was terrific to deal with. Very fair and works within what you can afford. Two thumbs up!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Jeff- Not to be a self-horn-tooter here, but you may want to pick up Home Theater Builder Magazine and look for back issues as well. Many are calling our magazine a reference collection for doing exactly what you're describing, including my documentation of my theater start to finish.

CHRIS
    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
      • Jul 2003

Thanks Chris. I have heard nothing but good things about the publication and it sounds like a good place to start. I suspect that much will be trying to make a square peg round with minimal structural changes. Thanks for the tip.

Jeff

Comment

• Jeff Hartford
        • Jul 2003

Chris-

Finally had a chance to pick up an issue of your mag. Very nice. Think I need to search some back issues for the basic stuff I need such as speaker locations/screen size, etc. Thanks for the input.

Jeff

Comment

• zpanky
          • Mar 2003

Jeff,
          The world's largest website focusing on projector related reviews, information, projection calculators, prices, and places to buy projectors

Projector central will give you everything you want to know about projectors.

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Jeff, I was in our local MicroCenter computer mega-store the other day and saw, I kid you not, Home Theater For Dummies. I didn't have time to look through it, but I own a couple of the "Dummy" series manuals and have had good results from them.

I just hopped over to Amazon and found it for $11.89! Link

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Thira
              • Sep 2003

Check out http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/index.php
              There is a wealth of info just about what you are looking for. If fact it was there that I found this wonderful forum.
              Good luck.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

thira in future please don't post links to competing HT forums if at all possible.

Jeff I would strongly urge you to try and demo the budget projectors before spending that much on a plasma...esp if its for a home theater. Plasma's are nice as a replacement TV in the livingroom where you need something that can instantly be turned on/off etc but there are better options available for theater use...and if you do need something to turn on/off for broadcast TV type material for the money you save you can easily purchase a nice 32" wega etc to due that duty.

As far as room design etc post that queston in the Spaces area and we'll see what we can suggest. Many of us have recently undergone theater construction and will have many insightfull recomendations to pass on to you or anyone else looking to build their own theater room.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"