X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • floydtp
    • Mar 2003

Subwoofer Advice please

I am currently in the final stages of building a 5.1 (for now at least) system. So far I have:

Polk RTi 70's
    CSi40
    Sony STR985 receiver

Since I have the 70's up front I will probably get a pair of FXi50's for the rear. Currently, I have a small condo and can't really get full use out of the HT system but I want to have an eye to the future. In 1-2 years I plan to build a much better system (I love the Ref 50). The subwoofer is where the question is. I would like to get a good sub that I can keep when I start upgrading. As much as I would love to get a Polk sub (650) while they are offering the $200 deal when I get the FX50's I might be better served getting a better sub that I won't need to replace in a few years as I upgrade the rest. Can anyone throw some opinions out?

I have been hanging around this and other HTGuide forums (Club Rotel, Club B&K) for awhile and have learned much although this is my first post. Thanks in advance.
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Well, the usual recommendations seem to run from SVS, to Hsu, to Adire (the Rava, I think, sells for $399 and is supposed to be very good for music, although I personally haven't heard it). I got my Hsu VTF-2 for $425 plus shipping and love it for both music and home theater. All three of these companies sell over the internet and, being direct from the manufacturer, save you money by having no middle-man. You might want to look at the new DVD, ETC. magazine that just hit the racks. It compares 18 different subs, from a range of prices.

As far as Polk subs go, I've only heard them in showrooms. I don't know which models I've listened to, but, invariably, they were callibrated incorrectly and sounded boomy. Again, this could easily been how they were set up, but, to be honest, I wasn't impressed.

Keith
    Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I totally agree that the best value in subs these days is from one of the online vendors such as..

Acoustic Visions

SV Subwoofers

Adire Audio

the HSU's are nice too.

Off all of these my vote would be to call Dan Wiggins at Adire and ask him what he can do for you within your budget. Either that or call Kyle at Acoustic Visions. Either of these guys will be able to set you up with a very nice subwoofer that will last though all your future upgrades.

Comment

• Rock Dog
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2003

Taking into consideration your criteria. You're in small condo, (so size is important) and being able to keep it (the sub) in the system as you upgrade. I would highly suggest looking into Sunfire's line of True subwoofers. They absolutely CRUSH. And are compact as hell. They even have a 9" cube. A friend has the 11" cube, and I am stunned by the performance of his box.

2700-watt amp featuring patented Tracking Downconverter power supply
        Frequency response: 18 Hz to 100 Hz (+0, -3 dB)
        Greater than 110 dB peak SPL with room gain
        Input coupling is optical and it accepts standard and high-level inputs
        Bore 8 inches – stroke 2.35 inches 8O
        Total air volume displacement is over 235 cubic inches
        Crossover points variable from 35 Hz to 100 Hz
        Crossover slope 36 dB/octave
        Input level (volume) control
        Phase continuously adjustable 0 to 180 degrees
        Passive 70 Hz 6 dB per octave hi-pass line level output for satellite loudspeakers
        Dimensions: 11" by 11" by 11"
        Two-year warranty
        Weight: 48 lbs.

At least give the Sunfire's a listen.

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"