X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

HDTV

I will be the first to admit that I'm far more versed in audio then video esp when it comes to HDTV....so I figure this might be a good chance to start a thread discussing what it all means, what the standards are, whats the difference between 720P and 1080i etc. Lets start real slow and introduce this topic to all members. So who's going to be brave enough to start?

• SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

I'll start!

It's 720p, not 760p.

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Andrew, good topic.

720p (for progressive) is a format that displays 720 vertical lines of resolution on a screen and refreshes (paints) them sequentially from top to bottom of the screen. This supposedly gives a smoother image than 1080i.

1080i (for interlaced) is a format that displays 1080 vertical lines of resolution on a screen and refreshes every other one from top to bottom and then refreshes the other 50% from top to bottom.

IIRC, ABC is the only network broadcasting a 720p signal. CBS and NBC broadcast a 1080i signal. I'm not sure about HDNet or Fox.

About a year ago, I purchased a Pioneer Elite 58" HD-capable RPTV. I've only used it for DVD's as the whole HDTV mess has me unsure about what all my options are - good and bad. Satellite will cost a bunch to set up in our house as we'd need one HD decoder (HT room), two other DD decoders (family room and master bedroom) and three more plain decoders (kitchen and two kids' bedrooms) so that's cost prohibitive. The "Joe-Bob" cable company we have out here doesn't have HD capability. OTA (over the air) seems like a the best choice, but I don't think there are any "premium movie" channels and I don't watch enough "regular" TV to make it worthwhile to buy a decoder for that. Are there other options?

I do know that my TV has only analog inputs on it for receiving an HD signal and the movie studios are pushing hard to have only digital inputs for HD quality pictures, effectively rendering my neary $6000 TV useless for watching any kind of HDTV. I'm following this portion of the HD evolution with great interest as you'd imagine.

Well, it's late and I've run out of steam. Hope this helps to kick this thread off the ground a bit. Cheers.

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• mml7
        • Jun 2002

Originally posted by David Meek
        Andrew, good topic.

720p (for progressive) is a format that displays 720 vertical lines of resolution on a screen and refreshes (paints) them sequentially from top to bottom of the screen. This supposedly gives a smoother image than 1080i.

1080i (for interlaced) is a format that displays 1080 vertical lines of resolution on a screen and refreshes every other one from top to bottom and then refreshes the other 50% from top to bottom.

IIRC, ABC is the only network broadcasting a 720p signal. CBS and NBC broadcast a 1080i signal. I'm not sure about HDNet or Fox.
        One thing to note is that most HDTV monitors can not display a 720p signal and upconvert it to 1080i. Currently, the majority of HDTV monitors that can display a 720p signal are projectors (IIRC).
        Standard television and cable broadcasts are at 480i. Progressive Scan DVD players are at 480p.

True HDTV broadcasts are sent at either 720p or 1080i. 720p signals carry more information, but in many cases, the difference between it an 1080i is not significant. Couple that with the fact that most TVs today upconvert the signal to 1080i, and well....it still looks gorgeous!

You must have an HDTV set or an HDTV-ready (aka HDTV monitor) with a digital set-top box (STB) in order to receive HDTV signals. By far, the majority of HDTV signals are available via over the air, or terrrestial broadcasts. There are some cable companies delivering contend in HD, but they are rare. Don't be fooled by companies that claim "Digital Cable". Digital cable is simply marketing by the cable companies but in reality simply allows them to squeeze more channels in the same sized pipe.

CBS has the most complete lineup of HDTV programming, and even that only covers their primetime. They broadcast in 1080i

ABC has some shows in HDTV and routinely show their "Picture Show" movie specials in HD as well. They broadcast in 720p, but most TVs and STB will upconvert to 1080i.

FOX's lineup includes many of their primetime shows like Boston Public, but they broadcast in "FOX Widescreen" which is actually 480p (the same as a DVD). Compared to ABC and CBS, it looks **terrible** (of course, regular Cable looks terrible compared to 480p)

NBC is actually the worst offender here. The only two shows that I can remember them broadcasting HD are "Crossing Jordan" and "Jay Leno". They did have the Olympics, but it was 24hours delayed broadcast. They deliver their meager content in 1080i. They also have been broadcasting shows like "West Wing" and "ER" in 'Widescreen', but it's still 480i and looks terrible anyway.

About a year ago, I purchased a Pioneer Elite 58" HD-capable RPTV. I've only used it for DVD's as the whole HDTV mess has me unsure about what all my options are - good and bad. Satellite will cost a bunch to set up in our house as we'd need one HD decoder (HT room), two other DD decoders (family room and master bedroom) and three more plain decoders (kitchen and two kids' bedrooms) so that's cost prohibitive. The "Joe-Bob" cable company we have out here doesn't have HD capability. OTA (over the air) seems like a the best choice, but I don't think there are any "premium movie" channels and I don't watch enough "regular" TV to make it worthwhile to buy a decoder for that. Are there other options?
        OTA broadcasts don't have any premium movie channels as OTA broadcasts are only done by your local standard TV affiliates (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, WB, UPN). However, as long as the local station has their transmitters up 24/7, you can receive and watch non HDTV programs on your set. Depending upon the STB, you can either have it upconvert the image to 1080i for use on an HDTV monitor or downconvert it to 480i for use on a standard TV. Even those non-HDTV shows look significantly better then regular broadcasts or cable. Don't know about DirecTV, however.

The picture quality can be so good (CSI, Jag), that we dumped cable and only use OTA broadcasts (saving $40+/month in the process). For example, Disney's broadcast of Dinosaur on ABC last month was absolutely incredible. Of course, since we no longer have cable and don't have DirecTV, there wasn't anything else on ;-)

I do know that my TV has only analog inputs on it for receiving an HD signal and the movie studios are pushing hard to have only digital inputs for HD quality pictures, effectively rendering my neary $6000 TV useless for watching any kind of HDTV. I'm following this portion of the HD evolution with great interest as you'd imagine.
        Different movie studios are still pushing different digital inputs (sort of like DVD-A vs. SACD). Right now, I wouldn't worry about it. A STB that works with your Pioneer Elite today will work with your TV years down the line. I suppose if a single input becomes standard that a years down the line, new STBs will only have digital outputs (I doubt it considering how many existing TVs are out there today), then you might need a new diplay device.

Mike

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Thanks guys I'm sure that helps clear things up quite a bit for a lot of us watching this from the sidelines.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"