X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knguyen429
    • Feb 2010

Bi-amping

A question for you receiver gurus. I'm building the Statement series fronts and center channel speakers. They're going to be mated to an Onkyo TX-NR807, capable of bi-amping the fronts. I can see a benefit using seperate amps to get more power, but would my receiver split the power normally sent to the fronts to bi-amp or would it double the output power? What are the benefits of bi-amping?

Thanks,
    Kenneth
    - Kenneth Nguyen
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

You never get doubling. First limitation is the PS of the AVR which is apportioned to all the channels in use. Second limitation is that the power demands of the woofer / tweeter are defined by the woofer with normal music content so the result is always less than twice the power.

Twice the power, btw, is only 3dB, anyway.
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• JustinGN
      • May 2009

Usually on bi-amp capable receivers, you sacrifice the two channels used in a 7.1 setup and instead use them to bi-amp your front speakers (Limiting you to 5.1). So yes, you would (in theory) get double the power to the speakers. (EDIT: Kal beat me to the punch and with a lot more technical detail than I could provide. I say defer to him on this one.)

As for the results of bi-amping, I was so satisfied with the results of it in my B&W 684s that I bought some nice, broadcast-quality speaker wire to replace the testing setup I used beforehand. The speakers suddenly had plenty of room to breathe, and sounded a lot clearer and well-rounded than powering off a single channel.

For Bookshelf speakers, I would probably suggest sticking with a single or bi-wire setup from one amp channel, but for Floor Standers, Bi-Amping is definitely worth looking into, as it could provide a very inexpensive upgrade path if successful, but you won't be out tons of cash if it doesn't work out for you.

Comment

• knguyen429
        • Feb 2010

Thanks Kal & Justin,

I knew that it wouldn't quite double the power, what I really wanted to know was if there'd be any audible difference in bi-amping. I've never bi-amped speakers before. This setup will be strictly a 5.1 setup. I was reading through the receiver manual, while waiting for the paint to dry on the speakers, and ran into the bi-amping section and it just had me wondering. Adding another set of terminals on the speakers wouldn't be too hard and if I don't like the results, could always go back to a single wire setup. I just thought I'd get some input before going that route.

Kenneth
        - Kenneth Nguyen

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

If you do need more power, biamping will make barely an incremental difference. You would need to buy a better amp for a real solution.

Unless you feel there is some lack of power in the setup, why bother?
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• JustinGN
            • May 2009

In my personal experience, bi-amping my B&W 684s made an impressive audible difference. That said, there are just as many detractors as there are supporters of bi-amping, and it all ultimately boils down to if you can hear a difference or not. However, just be aware that bi-amp capable speakers also need jumpers if you're single-wiring, so that both terminals are fed a signal. But that's an entirely other can of worms

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
              If you do need more power, biamping will make barely an incremental difference. You would need to buy a better amp for a real solution. Unless you feel there is some lack of power in the setup, why bother?
              Funny B&W swears by Bi-amping of it's so good!! How about bridging channels?
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                Funny B&W swears by Bi-amping of it's so good!!
                I am not so sure they do although I acknowledge it is printed in their booklets. :W

How about bridging channels?
                That is an effective way to output more power (at the price of some other parameters). OTOH, while this is done and recommended with some power amps, I am not so sure I would attempt this with a mch AVR unless the manufacturer sanctioned it.
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• JustinGN
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                  That is an effective way to output more power (at the price of some other parameters). OTOH, while this is done and recommended with some power amps, I am not so sure I would attempt this with a mch AVR unless the manufacturer sanctioned it.
                  I can count on one hand the number of AVRs I've seen that support bridging channels, though *all* of them sternly advise against it due to heat and power issues. If you're going to bridge power, buy a stand-alone amplifier that supports it.

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

I might have to invest in the new Delta CT-600
                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• whoaru99
                      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by JustinGN
                      However, just be aware that bi-amp capable speakers also need jumpers if you're single-wiring, so that both terminals are fed a signal. But that's an entirely other can of worms

Right, but all the biwire/biamp capable home speakers I've seen come with jumpers. Usually the bigger concern is making sure they're removed...especially prior to biamping. :E
                      There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• jyj
                        • Dec 2008

I have a RMB 1077, where Rotel claims all channels 7 x 100. I use a 5.1 system, so I use the spare channels to bi-amp my 802Ds. I listen to primarily music with the analogue by-pass mode on the RSP 1069 and I have to say it sounds quite remarkable, IMHO. Let your ears be your best judge.

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                          • Oct 2009

Bi-amping is over-rated. Lot of cost with little gain. If you decide you want more power put two of the preamp outs to use on your 807(nice receiver, btw lots of bells and whistles)and buy an Emotiva UPA-2 or XPA-2 or two UPA-1's or ultimately two XPA-1's to feed those Statements. Even the UPA-2 will do an admirable job and your 807 will be more powerful into all other driven channels if you set it up this way.
                          "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
                          -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• looneybomber
                            • May 2007

In theory, bi-amping should help, but in my experience, I can't tell a difference, so I'm assuming some of it may be reciever dependent.

I bi-amped one of my Beta-50's (the right channel) and the other just single wired (left channel) and listened to them with various songs at various levels and if I had to guess which one was bi-amped, I would have been better off just flipping a coin.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"