X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cobbpa
    • Apr 2005

Good idea...or horrible idea?

I'm sure this is on one extreme or the other--all thoughts are welcome :T

Question first, then details for those who want to read: should I place my actively cooled amplifier on top of, or perhaps underneath, my receiver? I would do this for cooling purposes, as the receiver gets fairly hot and the amplifier, which has a fan, could act as a giant heat sink.

In the setup of my current equipment shelving, the very bottom piece is my Behringer EP2500. It powers my subwoofer off of 1 channel, non-bridged. It has active cooling front to back & a solid case all around.

On the top shelf, with no barriers above/beside/behind it sits my receiver, the Marantz SR5600 (nobody make fun! I'll catch up someday..). This powers 5 speakers: a CJD center, Zaph's BAMTM mains, cheapie purchased side channels. Over the course of a couple of hours of stereo music the receiver gets very warm, almost hot. I know this is not good, and I want to help.

Thoughts? The Marantz is fairly tank-like, so I wouldn't expect any structural issues so long as I place it gently. It may look a bit funny, but if the cooling helps then I'm all for it. Note that anytime the receiver is on, the sub amp is also on. Thanks for any advice!
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

No, I would not recommend putting the amp on top of the Marantz receiver.
    1 - The bad thing is that the first generation of Marantz' 7-channel receiver were known to get hot. While their 6-channel receivers the same year operated very cool.
    2 - Putting the amp on top of your receiver would NOT act as a giant heatsink unless you had a solid bond between both metal chasis. (i.e., top of receiver metal chasis + thermal transferring solution + bottom metal plate of amp. no isolation feet in between)
    3 - If you have the receiver in "open air" right now, and it's STILL hot, I don't think placing a large object in its way would help as much as a fan would. I would recommend adding a fan instead of a "giant heatsink". You could get a Scythe fan (pc parts manufacturer). They're so quiet, it's hard to hear that it's even on.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Glen B
      Super Senior Member
      • Jul 2004

A range of very quiet fans are available at Endpcnoise.com, including ones with integrated thermistor speed control.

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Definitely don't stack the two together. If your rack configuration requires that, then look at a dedicated cooling unit. Here's an enclosed 2-fan unit ($96) that might be of interest:

Cool Components CP-DF

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"