X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JustinGN
    • May 2009

Preamps in a HT System

So, I've got a question having reviewed Emotiva's lineup again after their HDMI 1.4 announcement (and oh-so-ready to pull the trigger, though my common sense thankfully stepped in and stopped me). Their page on the USP-1 Preamplifier says it's perfect for use in a traditional Home Theater Setup, and having looked over other Preamps from manufacturers like Parasound, I've noticed they all make that claim to some extent.

I guess what I'm asking is, why would you use a preamp in an HT system? If your pre/pro doesn't have a phono input, I could see using an external preamp for the turntable itself, but why use one for tape decks, CD players, etc when most processors already have a plethora of RCA connectors for analog audio? What about those of us who make use of transports and digital pathways; are preamps still recommended? Finally, how would I integrate a preamp into an HT setup, and how would I control it (together with the AVR/Processor, or seperate)?

Thanks!
    Last edited by JustinGN; 01 April 2010, 04:36 Thursday.
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

Some people integrate an analog preamp into their HT system because they claim all the additional circuits in a pre/pro degrade the sound.

The best and most convenient way is to use a preamp that has "HT bypass". This allows the HT system to function normally via a unity gain bypass loop in the preamp so there is no change in the calibrated levels. When you want to use the preamp, you merely turn off the HT bypass mode and your sources are routed through the same downstream amp(s) and speakers with the preamp running the show.
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• JustinGN
      • May 2009

Originally posted by whoaru99
      Some people integrate an analog preamp into their HT system because they claim all the additional circuits in a pre/pro degrade the sound.

The best and most convenient way is to use a preamp that has "HT bypass". This allows the HT system to function normally via a unity gain bypass loop in the preamp so there is no change in the calibrated levels. When you want to use the preamp, you merely turn off the HT bypass mode and your sources are routed through the same downstream amp(s) and speakers with the preamp running the show.
      So essentially, you could use a preamp to tailor sound to your liking without replacing your pre/pro or amplifier (both of which tend to be much larger investments, especially in the high-end world of audio and video). Well, I'll keep that in mind depending on how my eventual upgrade sounds.

Comment

• LCSeminole
        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by whoaru99

Just to add to what "whoaru99" has already stated. The "HT bypass" also keeps from having audio switching for multiple power amplifiers with the added benefit of being able to use those full range tower front speakers that are so prevolent in home theaters now a days.

Comment

• JustinGN
          • May 2009

Originally posted by LCSeminole
          Just to add to what "whoaru99" has already stated. The "HT bypass" also keeps from having audio switching for multiple power amplifiers with the added benefit of being able to use those full range tower front speakers that are so prevolent in home theaters now a days.
          Like my shiny 684s? :P

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"