X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Best Picture vs. Best Sound-Listening Position Placement

I was just curious, what others have done when this issue was before them. Since most rooms (even dedicated ones) are a compromise, how did you choose your listening position?

Did you attempt to maximize the sound or did you want the immersive aspect of the picture, to be it's best?
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by John Holmes
    Did you attempt to maximize the sound or did you want the immersive aspect of the picture, to be it's best?
    Yes to both. The whole room is organized around the tv/surround system (more or less). I used to have a dedicated room, but now it's part of our main living area. I always get the best seat on the couch...right in the sweet spot. :W
    Brad

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by John Holmes
      I was just curious, what others have done when this issue was before them. Since most rooms (even dedicated ones) are a compromise, how did you choose your listening position? Did you attempt to maximize the sound or did you want the immersible aspect of the picture, to be it's best?
      In the sweet spot in front of the center channel sound rules :T
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I have my speakers set up in an ITU configuration to maximize hi-res MCH audio playback. This means my projection screen is wall mounted above its ideal location in order for my centre channel to be at the proper height (tweeters the same height as front L/R) for audio playback. Fortunately, my screen material works really well and I have no issues with off-axis viewing.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I've pretty much maximumized my HT. My front speakers are mounted below a fixed wall screen, slightly angled upward toward seating height. By adding two subs and some sound absorbing panels I managed to overcome previous bass problems. Picturewise, the room is dedicated without windows so I am good to go there.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Yes, I try to follow the general guidelines to make things optimized for sound, put as big a picture as functionally possible in front, and still have it comfortable for humans. (don't want people to be too squished, etc) I generally try to follow the rule of 3rds or 5ths when picking seating locations, and the "sweet spot" I usually split in half to put two seats next to each other straddling the sweet spot, to get very good sound for both, so my wife and I get can get the best. That way, it's not just all about 1 person.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
              Yes, I try to follow the general guidelines to make things optimized for sound, put as big a picture as functionally possible in front, and still have it comfortable for humans. (don't want people to be too squished, etc) I generally try to follow the rule of 3rds or 5ths when picking seating locations, and the "sweet spot" I usually split in half to put two seats next to each other straddling the sweet spot, to get very good sound for both, so my wife and I get can get the best. That way, it's not just all about 1 person.
              Exactly what I do :T
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I also try to stick with 1/3 and 1/5 placement. As getting the sound as close as possible to correct, is a little more important to me. I think we tend to be more tolerent of not being at the "perfect" viewing angle.

I'm lucky to have options, as my media room is dedicated. And yet, there are still compromises to be made.
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"